Drownings at Port Kembla

SquibblyDibbly

Hey Raiders,

Sad news today that 3 men have drowned after being washed off rocks whilst fishing at Port Kembla.

I was just watching the police give a press conference and the information they shared ticked me off a bit. They blamed a "rogue" wave and gave zero helpful information to help others avoid this happening.

We are seeing big swells with long swell periods in the area, great for surfers but perilous conditions to be on the rocks.

I love fishing the rocks, done safely it's hard to beat.

What I do before going is;

Check the swell forecast, size, direction and swell period;

- You don't want to fish the rocks if the swell is hitting your fishing spot head on. In a southerly swell try and find rocks facing north.

- Look out for long swell periods, the longer the swell period the more power the waves have and the more the sets are spaced out. Even small swell at a 10+ second period could easily be dangerous. With spaced out sets an area may look safe for a considerable amount of time and then a set comes through and what you thought was safe is life threatening.

Check the tide times and height;

- Its handy to know if the tide is coming in our out while you'll be fishing. Some headland spots you might get trapped out there at a high tide.

- Rocks where you are fishing into shallower water can become dangerous at low tide as the waves start breaking into the rocks. Other spots might become unsafe in a big high tide.

Take the time to observe the conditions when arriving and before you start fishing;

- How are the waves coming in, how is a set coming in. Are you going to get a little wet or washed off. Look at what areas of the rocks are wet.

- If you were to fall in, where would you get out? Would the swell conditions let you get out?

- Do you have an escape? I do not fish those spots where if a bigger wave came rolling in youd struggle to scamper away to safe ground. 

Take the right gear;

- Footwear, Cleats or wetsuit style booties with a grippy sole is a smart choice. Look out for slippery weed or slime. I'm sure plenty of us have experienced that black slime that is essentially like ice to walk on.

- Life jacket, I don't do this but I'm being an idiot. Take a life jacket, particularly if you are not confident swimming in the ocean.

- Burley pot and rope, it will greatly improve your rock fishing and doubles as a way to retrieve someone who has fallen in.

- Take your phone so you can call for help, go with mates, bare minimum tell someone where you are going.

Does anyone else have any handy tips for the rocks?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It doesn't matter how much education you put out there, there are still some who don't listen. The amount of people who have died up here on the Coast in recent years is unbelieveable.

I still go rock fishing and there are people with no lifejackets and wearing thongs. The signs are there but you cannot educate people

Edited by Rebel

2 hours ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

Check the swell forecast

Check the tide times and height;

Take the time to observe the conditions when arriving and before you start fishing

Take the right gear

None of any of that matters if you dont have the most important things....................................................

Common sense!

Something a lot of people seem to lack.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

I can see the spot they were washed off from my house, I can assure you, the swell was big, no rogue waves involved, people will continue to fish there, unprepared, all that aside, it is a tragedy, someone's family members are gone.

• Like 2

I guess to state the obvious, if you do go in (for whatever reason) try to get away from the rocks, providing you can swim of course, tread water and look for a good spot to get out, most panic and try to get out straight away, you just got washed in, so, it's usually not a great place to get out.

• Like 2

Unfortunately some people won't listen to the warnings. Last night at North Narrabeen pool there were 3 blokes flicking soft plastics from the rocks. None had lifejackets on and they were wearing thongs while the waves were washing up to just above their ankles.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

... try to get away from the rocks, providing you can swim of course, tread water and look for a good spot to get out, most panic and try to get out straight away ...

100% noelm

I have seen people nearly drown in mild conditions thanks to panic and getting washed up and down the rocks in spots you'd never get out.

• Like 2

And the biggest tip of all KNOW HOW TO SWIM!!!And be a STRONG Swimmer. We all know many of the people are foreigners that rock fish and don't even know how to perform a swim stroke let alone get out of trouble when the time arises.

Sadly this sort of thing will only get worse with the population increase unless authorities find a way for a full lockout on rock fishing which will never happen.

Passing my condolences to family and friends of those who perished.

• Like 3

Myths , myths and more myths. Whilst i cannot emphasise any more that this is a tragedy for those involved and their families, and i keep harping on and on about this. Rock fishing is essentially a safe activity - year in year out about 10-11 people die rockfishing in the entire country -last year most of those were in NSW , another couple in WA and Vic. Just as many die diving, about 5 times as many die in rivers and creeks, a lot more are p!@@#d or stoned. The other factor is that most drownings ARE locals-not tourists. Again-if you cant read the weather, dont wear appropriate footwear, are too uncoordinateed to not trip over your own feet then dont rockfish. I still predict that when rockfishing deaths dont go down in numbers in areas that have made lifejackets compulsory -BANS will follow-this is the endgame of seaside councils (who think that their precious suburbs are not for the great unwashed) and Surf Lifesaving who really dont like fisho's at all, not to mention green leaning politicians who just want everyone locked up and out of nature. These guys from the sounds of the swell size essentially committed suicide-not nice but the truth.If you need to wear a jacket while rockfishing then you shouldnt be rockfishing IMHO-it means you are one or all of the following; A poor swimmer, a foolhardy twit who wants to fish no matter the sea conditions, someone who doesnt understand the sea, someone who doesnt understand weather or how it effects your spot, someone who doesnt understand footwear, or just plain uncoordinated. Again-its sad that this happened but the day before that someone was killed at Coffs going for a walk -if i HAVE  (note that said this not Choose) to wear a jacket rockfishing then so should all beach goers, creek users and rockwall walkers-cause they get killed too-in a lot of cases in far bigger numbers.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

Unfortunately some people won't listen to the warnings. Last night at North Narrabeen pool there were 3 blokes flicking soft plastics from the rocks. None had lifejackets on and they were wearing thongs while the waves were washing up to just above their ankles.

At Nth narra pool ankle deep water is fine-if you happened to get knocked over you would get pushed further up the rocks-its not a dangerous spot even in pretty big seas in the corner.

I have fished and dived the spot these guys got washed off thousands times, in any swell, it's dangerous, it's kind of like a step, if you get caught on the lower step, you're going in the water, it comes over, hits the top "step" then comes from behind, waist deep, or deeper depending on the swell, and you just go out with it. Fishing the top step is OK, but the bottom step gets in the way, if the swell comes over the top, which it does at high tide and decent swell, you can still go over, but, it's mostly safe, as it's flat and the waves just kind of spread out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, noelm said:

I guess to state the obvious, if you do go in (for whatever reason) try to get away from the rocks, providing you can swim of course, tread water and look for a good spot to get out, most panic and try to get out straight away, you just got washed in, so, it's usually not a great place to get out.

I'd be mentally noting the plan of attack getting out if I got washed in long BEFORE I even put my gear down ready to start fishing.I would have plan A,B and C firmly etched into my brain.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Myths , myths and more myths. Whilst i cannot emphasise any more that this is a tragedy for those involved and their families, and i keep harping on and on about this. Rock fishing is essentially a safe activity - year in year out about 10-11 people die rockfishing in the entire country -last year most of those were in NSW , another couple in WA and Vic. Just as many die diving, about 5 times as many die in rivers and creeks, a lot more are p!@@#d or stoned. The other factor is that most drownings ARE locals-not tourists. Again-if you cant read the weather, dont wear appropriate footwear, are too uncoordinateed to not trip over your own feet then dont rockfish. I still predict that when rockfishing deaths dont go down in numbers in areas that have made lifejackets compulsory -BANS will follow-this is the endgame of seaside councils (who think that their precious suburbs are not for the great unwashed) and Surf Lifesaving who really dont like fisho's at all, not to mention green leaning politicians who just want everyone locked up and out of nature. These guys from the sounds of the swell size essentially committed suicide-not nice but the truth.If you need to wear a jacket while rockfishing then you shouldnt be rockfishing IMHO-it means you are one or all of the following; A poor swimmer, a foolhardy twit who wants to fish no matter the sea conditions, someone who doesnt understand the sea, someone who doesnt understand weather or how it effects your spot, someone who doesnt understand footwear, or just plain uncoordinated. Again-its sad that this happened but the day before that someone was killed at Coffs going for a walk -if i HAVE  (note that said this not Choose) to wear a jacket rockfishing then so should all beach goers, creek users and rockwall walkers-cause they get killed too-in a lot of cases in far bigger numbers.

You forgot the biggest thing i see people lacking these days ......Common sense and using your brain.It's going to become a lost art very soon if you take the time to smell the roses and observe the dopes that exist in our society these days.

Like i said it's  family and friends that suffer after the fishos pass away.

Edited by Fab1

Fab-i dont disagree with what you are saying about dopes in general-but they have always existed-it just seems society today wants them protected from their own stupidity-witness pedestrian lights in the ground for people who cant take their eyes off a screen walking around, or the Xmas pack i got from my work- it contained some "fragrant candles"-the marketing and HR depts seem to be a pack of SJW green types at this new company i work for-but i digress-The candle-And this is no BS-has a 10 line sticker on top of it explaining candle safety-FFS. Anyway back to my point-and its this-I dont need protecting when i rockfish-end of story. And i dont want this to end up where i reckon it will, which is a whole lot of lockouts on dubious "safety" issues when stats and reality tell me there are a whole lot of far more dangerous aquatic environments that we should be careful about. There used to be a mantra in government that "you cant legislate for stupidity" , unfortunately these days governments are trying to do just that. Finally -and its evident in a couple of posts here-we need to stop making blanket statements like "rockfishing is the most dangerous sport in Australia"-it simply isnt and "lifejackets will save lives on the rocks"-maybe-if you are a dolt in the first place. Fishos are actually the worst offenders in making these statements-the first one because some want to give their activity some kind of macho edge and the second because they want to inflict their reality on others-IMHO-if you want to wear a jacket go right ahead-having it enforced-no bl@##$y way.

• Like 1

After observing a few years ago a young family (2 "adults" with 2 5-6 years old kids) picnic straight on the edge of ledge at North Curl Curl rocks,  so they can watch their 7' rods straight on picnic rug while eating and drinking - I have to admit that lack of common sense (mentioned by 2 guys here)  is a big contributor to those tragedies. It is not a " natural selection" or just a personal stupidity,  it becomes an effing negligence when it involves the lifes of others.

As for PFDs - IMO it is similar to seat belts - It may be uncomfortable a bit however will increase rate of survival for an average(most) user(s) - therefore made compulsory. For those who cant bear it - can get a belt inflatable PFD that wont bother much on the rocks or unopened in the water - still within required compliance.

Full life vest, blow up PFD , belt mounted or any other way-you still dont get it-when drownings still occur (and they will-because the real reasons they occur, all listed above, ad infinitum and this is about the 20th time ive written on this, will continue to kill nitwits) the next step will become limiting access- lockouts by stealth -for safety reasons . I dont rockfish very often anymore -i dont like crowds and if ive got time to fish i take the boat- but i want everyone else who wants to rockfish to have FULL and FREE access- and this is something that cheeses me off when i see fishos telling other fishos what they can and cant do (when half of the tellers have got next to no idea of what they are talking about)-again-if someone wants to wear a jacket -fine-if they dont -fine, statistically it will NOT save lives-it might individually -Rockfishing is not in the top 10 drowning deaths and when the whole BS about it being dangerous is thrown around-it needs to be looked at in context-dangerous compared to what? swimming while p!@#$d ? scuba diving ? no one is having moral panic about those deaths like we do about what is a statistical anomaly - stop even saying LJ's are a good idea- will you say lockouts are too if they come next-just çause you dont rockfish?

• Like 2

just came back from fishing at Port Kembla hill 60, was stupid enough to believe my friend that that the rock platform that those fisherman drowned was different to the ones we fished....  nope same one. 

long story short, a couple of swells washed our whole gear into the sea. luckily a guy in fishing boat was nearby and fished out my 2 bag. but lost my light rod and most of my tackle. 

the swell today was around 1 meter mark so deceptively dangerous. I got knocked over by the pure force a rouge splash that dumped a huge amount of water onto the platform, and the big swell finished the job for the dozen guy on the platform. 

anyway a guy watching from the top captured it all on his phone so keep an eye out for it on youtube.  Got a couple of cuts and bruises but I Am still alive and learnt a valuable lesson.   (do your homework before hand and don't just rely on your mate's view on a location's safety). 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HenryNSW said:

just came back from fishing at Port Kembla hill 60, was stupid enough to believe my friend that that the rock platform that those fisherman drowned was different to the ones we fished....  nope same one. 

long story short, a couple of swells washed our whole gear into the sea. luckily a guy in fishing boat was nearby and fished out my 2 bag. but lost my light rod and most of my tackle. 

the swell today was around 1 meter mark so deceptively dangerous. I got knocked over by the pure force a rouge splash that dumped a huge amount of water onto the platform, and the big swell finished the job for the dozen guy on the platform. 

anyway a guy watching from the top captured it all on his phone so keep an eye out for it on youtube.  Got a couple of cuts and bruises but I Am still alive and learnt a valuable lesson.   (do your homework before hand and don't just rely on your mate's view on a location's safety). 

Good lesson learnt-platforms like that , Avoca etc can be deceptively dangerous when green water "lips" over, once its above knee high it has an incredible amount of energy. AND for the uninitiated it looks safer than a platform that has more regular white water running across-similar to why people want to swim the nice "calm" looking water of a rip at the beach instead of the area thats flagged off. The other issue with green water is that it doesnt disperse over the back of the platform , it comes in -and it goes out with a stack of force still left in it dragging gear, knocked down people etc. Swell kills rockfishos-wind kills boaties.

I just saw that on Facebook, it shows the "step" I described, people on the lower step near got washed in with only a moderate wave, once it hits the back of the top step, it just builds up and gets you from behind, very lucky group of people.

here is the news footage of when my bags and rod was swept in.  I was already up the steps from the first swell (you can see me in white wearing red life jacket far right holding white rod). this was the second swell about 5 seconds later.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/group-knocked-over-by-waves-one-day-after-fishermen-deaths-video/news-story/3db75889dc4d748de1764004aeca47d3

To be honest the news article is misleading because they say 'idiots' implying that we were involved in some idiotic behaviour when infact everyone was wearing life jacket and cleats and we did check the swell for the day as well, but we're not aware of the exact nature of the danger for that site.   Telling people to be 'safe' in too ambiguous a term to properly educate people on exactly what they need to be careful about. 

can someone do a location report for this spot, and to be honest I think it would be good to have more signs warning people...  because on my way walking up to the platform I did see any signs all I saw was 1 angel ring(life buoy). 

Edited by HenryNSW