Drinking on a boat

Fish_More

What is your view about having a drink while you are out on the water?

I love a beer as much as anyone, however generally when I'm out for a fish for the day, I will not even take a beer with me.  I would prefer just to have nothing than be worried about am I under the limit or not and also you are responsible for the other people on the boat.  Would prefer to save it until I got home or back to camp to have a few cold ones.

I have slept on the boat a few times while anchored in a bay.  Along the theme as enjoying a few cold ones after a fish, I have had a few beers but always try to remain under the limit.  Same reason, you are responsible and also you never know what could happen.  In fact, one night was anchored and a big storm hit, anchor kept dragging and needed to go find somewhere more sheltered to anchor.  If I was over the limit or did not have my senses, I would have been stuffed given it was life jackets on and white knuckle stuff.

Moving on to the actual question, what if you are tied up at a wharf?  Do you think it is okay to have a few drinks and not be as worried about being under the limit?

Im not sure what the law states as far as what your limit might be at a berth but at achor if your the captain the of course its .05 just like driving.

I dont drink when I fish either, you can do that anytime is the way I see it.

Again I think its like driving, if you know your going to be having something to drink then have someone on board who is licenced who can become the designated captain.

When I was young a Old Fellow said to me "If you want to go fishing, go Fishing. If you want to go drinking go drinking but don't combine both"

Hot day, couple of beers and it can get dangerous to yourself and others you're fishing with plus you have to be under the limit if you're driving the boat.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 3

Used to be a drinker-quit a while back for all sorts of good reasons- but even when i was a drinker there was a no booze rule on my boat-not only for me as the captain but the crew as well- i really wasnt interested in dealing with someone not in control of their senses especially out at sea-save it for when you are washing the boat at home.

• Like 2

Great question to ask - keep us thinking.
I am not a drinker (used to be and never knew when “enough was enough”), bananas are welcome, but beer is not. I am mates with quite a few of the Sydney harbour charter operators and can’t understand the thinking of some of the clients they tell me of. They will spend close to $1000 to go on charter and spend the day drinking instead of fishing.

Why not stay home and drink themselves silly and stay safe watching fishing videos - cheaper and only make a goat of yourself in front of your family (who know anyway).

• Like 3

Absolutely agree with the don’t drink and drive. 

Found this on RMS website

Random breath testing (RBT) and random drug testing (RDT) can be conducted on the operator of a vessel while it is underway, including drifting. RBT and RDT do not apply when a vessel is moored, berthed or at anchor.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/offences-penalties/offences.html#Alcoholanddrugoffences

Was planning on going to Crowdy next weekend and was going to come back to harbour and tie up for the night.

Same as cars, if they think you might have the intention of operating the boat you can be tested and fined; at anchor, jetty mored. Probably depends a bit on the cop as to how that is enforced.

Ill have one or two while im out fishing but they dont replace water, easy to go over the limit cooking in the sun on a boat.

Never have drunk alcohol while fishing. I go fishing to catch fish. 

If you are half pissed, your reflexes are not as quick - something with sharp teeth (eg. tailor, mackerel) will not be pissed but pissed off with you catching it, and therefore quick enough to bite you. 😭

• Like 1