Port Hacking - a bit quiet

Yowie

Headed out early this morning near Lilli Pilli sand bank. Anchored up, but the wind was a bit gusty at times, moving between south maybe east-south east at times.

Pulled the tailor early, plus one just over which I kept for bait. That was used as strips to catch the crabs (the tailor head made the best bait), plus the usual just under sized reddies. The tailor strips also produced a 68cm jewie, could not stretch it any bigger.

A few schools of fish smashing the surface, so tried a lure. Only one hit, which was a salmon, and it spat the lure near the boat.

Moved to South West Arm and tried many spots for squid. Only the one small one.

Tried a soft plastic in various places over the banks, the wind did not help the drift, but not a touch so headed home.

fish.jpeg.284_files_files.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, hucho hucho said:

Still great catch. Did you use trap or line only?

cant use traps in most of ph

blue swimmers go down well, a quite day for you is still a great feed.
I have also found hacking quite, with rat kings around and a nice 44cm reddie

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

cant use traps in most of ph

blue swimmers go down well, a quite day for you is still a great feed.
I have also found hacking quite, with rat kings around and a nice 44cm reddie

The crabs will be a change. The reddie would have been a nice one.

Hi Yowie, if you don’t mind me asking whereabouts did you get the crabs?

I’ve tried a couple of times at the sand drop offs but I think they drop off too deep too quickly.

Cheers and well done yet again

23 minutes ago, wrxter said:

Hi Yowie, if you don’t mind me asking whereabouts did you get the crabs?

I’ve tried a couple of times at the sand drop offs but I think they drop off too deep too quickly.

Cheers and well done yet again

The crabs will be along the edges of the drop offs, and also out in some deeper water. At this time of year, I have caught them in 30 to 40 feet of water, and a couple of them today were in that depth when throwing a line out from the boat.

Low tide is best as there is not too much current flow on the run-up tide. Crabs move about quite a bit, and will even swim up off the bottom and cruise along near the surface on occasions. Just a matter of finding them, usually not too far out from the weed beds.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

The crabs will be along the edges of the drop offs, and also out in some deeper water. At this time of year, I have caught them in 30 to 40 feet of water, and a couple of them today were in that depth when throwing a line out from the boat.

Low tide is best as there is not too much current flow on the run-up tide. Crabs move about quite a bit, and will even swim up off the bottom and cruise along near the surface on occasions. Just a matter of finding them, usually not too far out from the weed beds.

Caught blue swimmers with fishing rod in the past, but I didn’t know that it can happen so often. Thanks

• Thanks 1

Lots of people use lines to catch them in Lake Illawarra, it's a bit of an art, a fish frame on the line, (I like a Blackfish head) pull in slowly, and have a net ready, lines are used in the main channel where traps are not allowed.

33 minutes ago, noelm said:

Lots of people use lines to catch them in Lake Illawarra, it's a bit of an art, a fish frame on the line, (I like a Blackfish head) pull in slowly, and have a net ready, lines are used in the main channel where traps are not allowed.

When I fished there as a kid, used to pull up a few, though I preferred a feed of prawns.

Anchored across the channel at night for the prawns, and sometimes the crabs would fly past just under the surface. You would have to be quick to miss the crab, otherwise it was an angry crab in the prawn net, and the end of prawning.

Using bait on a line can pick up a few nice fish as well. Fish heads are good bait, but, it sometimes attracts an eagle ray then off they go.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

The fish have definitely shut down this week. The water up here 19.2 has turned over and very cold compared to last week. (24.4) 

I find when that happens suddenly they get lock jaw. But you still managed something for the table champ! With all this rain it might be a while before it fires up again! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

The fish have definitely shut down this week. The water up here 19.2 has turned over and very cold compared to last week. (24.4) 

I find when that happens suddenly they get lock jaw. But you still managed something for the table champ! With all this rain it might be a while before it fires up again! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Different to last week.

Looks like a lot of rain up your way right now, heading down the coast. A good flush should bring them on the bite up river and at the mouths of the estuaries.

• Like 2