EOFY Inkers

jenno64

Hit the Botany Bay this arvo for a quick squid bash. Conditions were perfect with little wind and a bit of cloud cover. Used a jig under a float about 30m off the back of the boat as a lazy drifter and it was the first to go with a good sized hood coming in around the 30cm mark. I threw another jig out behind it and hooked up a smaller model. Over the next two hours when I hooked up I hit spot lock on the MInn Kota and threw jigs behind the hooked squid resulting in two triple hook ups over the afternoon. Finished with 10 inkers and tomorrow I'll spend an hour cleaning them in the salt water and stashing away dinner sized snap lock bags. It should get me through winter with a big family BBQ as soon as we can see each other again!

Gotta love being able to fish in lockdown:)

Kracken June 30.JPG

IMG_8967 (3).JPG

IMG_8973 (2).JPG

• Like 16

Nice sizes. 👍

One of my fav recipes Cut Squares, cross score. Pan with olive oil, garlic, diced shallots. Add 2 knobs of butter, garlic salt, chilli flakes and finish with some dried parsley flakes.

To tenderise I marinade in lemon juice for half an hour just before cooking - no more than that. 

comes out delish and very tender from the lemon marinade.

this recipe also works beautifully for fresh blue swimmer crab cooked in the pan. (Minus the lemon tenderising part) 

Edited by Larkin

On 7/1/2021 at 6:40 AM, Larkin said:

Nice sizes. 👍

One of my fav recipes Cut Squares, cross score. Pan with olive oil, garlic, diced shallots. Add 2 knobs of butter, garlic salt, chilli flakes and finish with some dried parsley flakes.

To tenderise I marinade in lemon juice for half an hour just before cooking - no more than that. 

comes out delish and very tender from the lemon marinade.

this recipe also works beautifully for fresh blue swimmer crab cooked in the pan. (Minus the lemon tenderising part) 

Sounds like you know your way around the seafood kitchen! Depending on the thickness of the hoods, I also score them but three other ways to tenderise are kiwi fruit, ginger and even milk. If you cook them in a paella or risotto they tenderise because of the long cooking time! The other thing I always avoid is cleaning them in tap water...the chlorine starts to cook them! Always salt water👌

On 7/1/2021 at 9:34 AM, frankS said:

They are huge for the Bay, you done real well, some good meals to be had there.

Frank

Frank, this time of year they seem to be spawning and the bigger models are about.

On 7/1/2021 at 3:22 PM, Yowie said:

Solid squid, good work.

Thanks Yowie

It's always a good winter fall back. I'd love to get into some winter whiting if you have any tips!

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Out of interest what time of day was it & what's colour jig did the most damage?

Kingy

Conditions were very still, overcast and turn of high tide between 3-5pm on Wednesday June 30. Orange jig 2.5 with red cloth was most aggressively hit although pink 2.5 and a clear jig with a reflective spinner got a couple.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Thanks Yowie

It's always a good winter fall back. I'd love to get into some winter whiting if you have any tips!

I have been looking around during the day time, and the only place I have pulled out a few are Maianbar. Half run up tide, pump some nippers, a long shank with a small ball sinker on top.

I expect the numbers to thin out in the near future.

There will be other spots to find them, but looking into the clear water, I have not seen too much elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

I have been looking around during the day time, and the only place I have pulled out a few are Maianbar. Half run up tide, pump some nippers, a long shank with a small ball sinker on top.

I expect the numbers to thin out in the near future.

There will be other spots to find them, but looking into the clear water, I have not seen too much elsewhere.

Thanks Yowie

I overlook a sand flat and bought some binoculars yesterday and spotted a few thumpers feeding as the tide came up. I might give it a crack during the week when the boat traffic dies down:)

14 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Thanks Yowie

I overlook a sand flat and bought some binoculars yesterday and spotted a few thumpers feeding as the tide came up. I might give it a crack during the week when the boat traffic dies down:)

Binoculars? You are going high tech. 

I assume you are looking in the Hacking somewhere, not the Georges.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Binoculars? You are going high tech. 

I assume you are looking in the Hacking somewhere, not the Georges.

Yep the Hacking is where I live.....Georges is where I mostly fish atm:)