Finally cracked the PB Flattie in reef bay

nal

Headed down to reef bay for a afternoon fish and turned out pretty well, as soon as we got there at 3:40 the yakkas were on the bite immediately which was an odd but welcome occasion. And once I got one I immediately casted it out as a livie and about half an hour later my rod started to go off, so I picked it up and started to fight whatever had taken my livie, but it snapped my weak swivel 30seconds into the fight (never going to use those again). I was dissapointed but still very determined and immediately re rigged and casted out another livie in the same spot, and before the livie had even hit the ground something took it, and I could immediately tell it was a nice fish. After a short fight on heavy gear, it turned out to be a pretty big flattie which Someone soon netted and got up onto the jetty. After the initial excitement and a quick measure It turned out to be a solid 70cm very fat and healthy fish. The line was wrapped around its neck and had cut deep into it, funnily enough that was the only reason i had landed it as I sound found out the eyelet of my hook had snapped in its mouth but the line stayed tied to its neck, so I was unable to release it. But a very good day overall and smashed my previous PB by 13cm.

B41F862C-9F02-47E8-A75F-965805CCB998.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

A nice fish.

Buy decent quality swivels, and hooks, especially using a heavier line. Use swivels rated a fair bit heavier than the line strength.

Thanks, yep swivel was definitely too small and weak and I knew that it would eventually let me down so that one is definitely on me, but my hook was brand knew and I thought was of decent strength and size, so yeah might have to upgrade. Any suggestions on good quality hooks for livebaiting?

1 minute ago, Isaac Ct said:

Lovely fish mate. Good to see the yakkas are biting, they are slowing down around my way!

Thanks, yeah recently had a dry spot with yakkas too but they seemed to have fired back up, Hopefully they stay like this.

4 hours ago, Max_fish said:

Thanks, yep swivel was definitely too small and weak and I knew that it would eventually let me down so that one is definitely on me, but my hook was brand knew and I thought was of decent strength and size, so yeah might have to upgrade. Any suggestions on good quality hooks for livebaiting?

A suggestion made above sounds good.

When using live baits hooked through the top of the mouth I use wide mouth hooks also called Kale hooks.  My 2 pb flatties were almost identical at 97cm, one 5.64kg the other 5.66kg.  Caught 2 weeks apart, 1st at Sussex Inlet and other from Port Hacking.   Both were caught on 1kg pretest line but the funny thing is I lost one in the Hacking well over a metre when the swivel pulled apart just as I was about to net her.  Realy strange considering I was again using 1kg and couldn't use much pressure.   And yes I now use a tiny and expensive stainless swivel for my comp fishing.   Ron   

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...