Help !! hot water system

frankS

Hi Any plumbers out there that may be able to give me some advice ?.

I have a rheem hot water system that is spewing rusty water out of the top of the system.

I have released the pressure via the release valve a couple of times but just wondering IF there is something else I can do so the water does not seep out of the system.

1269624464_hotwater1.thumb.jpg.c3231e7442980e3df9bab5eb34549cf0.jpg

591744368_hotwater2.thumb.jpg.8458e1e1528456765f0073719055f96c.jpg

Hope I don't need a new system.

Frank

We had one last year that we ended up replacing, I cant recall the brand. Around the Anode bolt at the top is a depression in the inner tank that holds moisture and was corroded with numerous pinholes. 

I removed the top and tried to epoxy it to stretch its life out a bit more.   I gave up after a couple of attempts and had it replaced. 

I did mine last year Rheem 170ltr unit and i think it was like $1700 installed.

I used Elisha from HPP (High Priority Plumbing) 0414 433 650

I met him though a mate and now he is my go to guy, Fair Price excellent service, he is usually around the Silverwater area most days.

Hi Frank unfortunately as a couple of other raiders have mentioned your HWS needs replacing.

As  @motiondave suggested shop around for a good price, some of the hot water companies might be worth a call & can be quite competitive, a tip if you want to increase the life of a HW storage tank replace the sacrificial anode before warranty runs out, I’ve had some of my customers get 16+ years 

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I can recommend @61 crusher (Dieter) as a plumber!  Not a bad fisho either 🤣

cheers Zoran 

Thanks @zmk1962 for the recommendation  👍 of said skills🤣

I replaced my exact same one 3 months ago with a aquamax staino tank version. $1800.

I got 18yrs out of my one like yours.That's a great innings in anyone's language.Most people don't pull on the realese valve once a month regardless of tank.

There is only 2 of us in the house now so I will only need to get a smaller unit. This one is 250 ltr so thinking of around 160 ltrs should do the job and be a little less expensive.

This one is just sitting on concrete path so I will make a wood stand/base for the new one to sit on before the plumber gets here to do the job.

Frank

Frank, if you have gas to the house already an instant gas hot water system is the most economical. Switch over cost from electric to gas was almost equal to installing a replacement electric unit in my experience. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frankS said:

There is only 2 of us in the house now so I will only need to get a smaller unit. This one is 250 ltr so thinking of around 160 ltrs should do the job and be a little less expensive.

This one is just sitting on concrete path so I will make a wood stand/base for the new one to sit on before the plumber gets here to do the job.

Frank

Was thinking will this affect you if you want to sell the house later?

For two people 150l will be plenty, shame about the gas, instantaneous gas is fantastic, never ending hot water, no energy used when you're away or not using hot water, cheap and the unit is small.

• Like 2