Thanks DerekD

nutsaboutfishing

Hi Richard,

We've talked on and off over the years and it was a pleasure to put a face to the name. We were very lucky to have overlapping 5km zones.

I try and mentor several people each year and I think you were the fastest to pick up that sub surface walk the dog. The nice thing is that is scales up to the larger rods and it is very effective on the pelagics when the schools move in in numbers. That retrieve is also useful under other circumstances such as squid jigs.

The walk the dog with the sugapen will take a bit more work and at this stage it will take you a bit more trial and error to  get competent with it.

When the weather warms up I am really keen to head out to those bays again with you and see if we can actually catch some topwater fish.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Restyle said:

awesome stuff! I admire and really appreciate people who take time to teach others. I very rarely use lures but I am quite intrigued 

Hi @Restyle

Worth getting into. I started early 2000s and it opened my fishing world up with a vengeance. The gear is really responsive and a pleasure to use. I can feel bites from 50m away. I can't remember the last time I used store bought bait and it is really easy to go out for a fish if you suddenly find yourself with a bit of spare time and close to some water.

I catch squid with jigs and with the same gear I can use plastics, slices, blades and hard bodies. The light gear means most fights involve playing the fish rather than winching it in.

The best part is that the quality of fish is usually better when I am fishing side by side with someone using small baits. On the odd occasion I will also outfish the bait user.

If you are interested and able to get to the lower north shore in the future we can go through an introduction to this sort of fishing.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Restyle

Worth getting into. I started early 2000s and it opened my fishing world up with a vengeance. The gear is really responsive and a pleasure to use. I can feel bites from 50m away. I can't remember the last time I used store bought bait and it is really easy to go out for a fish if you suddenly find yourself with a bit of spare time and close to some water.

I catch squid with jigs and with the same gear I can use plastics, slices, blades and hard bodies. The light gear means most fights involve playing the fish rather than winching it in.

The best part is that the quality of fish is usually better when I am fishing side by side with someone using small baits. On the odd occasion I will also outfish the bait user.

If you are interested and able to get to the lower north shore in the future we can go through an introduction to this sort of fishing.

Regards,

Derek

I would be keen, Rhodes area isn't that far.
would be awesome to expand my knowledge, especially from someone who's done this sort of fishing for 20 years (almost as long as i been alive haha). Always been someone to catch their own bait and only ever buy a kilo of pillies here n there.

as for lures, well besides the squid jigs and 3 or so slugs and a few free hard bodies I have found on nets that's all I have as for the retrieves for other lures besides squid jigs almost clueless