It is NOT illegal to release carp

Pickles

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Question: Do you get Redfin in the Bidgee near where you are? Locals in the Narrandera - Darlington Point area reckon the Bidgee used to have good stocks of them. I have fished here for 20 yrs and never caught one in the River, I have caught them up to 40 cms in the irrigation channels though. What about Trout, are they in the upper reaches of the Murrumbidgee?

Hey bN,

Redfin ... I have got a few in the Canberra rivers when flicking smaller lures for yellas or sight casting at carp with soft plastics. I suspect that predation and periodic disease keeps the numbers down. Heaps in the lakes though. The reddie population in the Bidgee probably gets replenished when Scrivener Dam spills after heavy rainfall. I have never eaten a redfin out of the local rivers. They would probably be ok. As I'm not targeting them I don't bring a cool bag so it has never occurred to me. If you are after a feed of reddies around here then Googong would be the go.

Trout ... the water in the rivers around Canberra is too warm. Apparently some of the feeder creeks coming out of the surrounding hills were ok in decades past. I haven't fished it but the true upper Bidgee coming out of the high country is still recognised as a good trout fishery. Another place I'd like to explore.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

I don't think Northern Pike would work out in Australia. If they did handle the warmer water temperatures they would likely outgun the natives. Juvenile cod/yellas/bass would get hammered. Agree they would be a cool sport fish.

Don't need to import another problem species. 

Just a matter of terminating any carp you pull out, stick it in the freezer as suggested then into the bin on bin night.

• Like 1

NSW & Vic governments have spent a lot of money eradicating carp from waterways. Lakes in Victoria are nearing or at nil carp following an effort to sterilise males & tag & trap programs.

I was always of the belief that it was illegal to return a carp to the waterway. We had thousands left in the irrigation channels & paddocsk in the MIA (griffith/Leeton) at the end of the irrigation (no natives).

Neil the only reliable location for Redfion was Barrenbox swamp. The system has been "remanaged" and with poor water quality due to reduced cell size & the dreaded carp I suspect there are few left. In the big floods in the mid 80's I saw schools of Boney Bream in this area. In the late 70's the swamp had clear water & you could sight cast to schools of redfin.

Charlie Carp fertiliser is their highest & best use.

Now there are carp on the east coast rivers. They will cause the same environmental havoc as they have inland.

I hope we don't get those jumping carp like they have in the USA

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, savit said:

Yep about 2 years ago the final decision came out that they weren't going to do it. Obviously there were too many undetermined risk factors and they erred on the side of caution. Hope you're keeping well. Look forward to catching up if I can get back to Sydney sometime. Cheers, bn

It used to be illegal to release carp until some carp anglers had the law changed, the argument was it being too difficult to dispose of the carp they caught in their comps . I agree in some circumstances its not reasonable to stink the place up with dead fish.

I actually think basic signage around waterways would go a long way. Showing what a carp looks like, how big they grow, the harm they do, the reasons it’s encouraged to remove them from the waterways and a “how to” dispose of them correctly.

I also think carp should be used to help promote the sport, get people into fishing, and teach them how to fish responsibly from the get go. Carp are relatively easy to catch, they grow huge and they fight reasonably hard. We all know that early success in fishing is usually what gets people hooked.

I don’t think we’ll ever fish them out, but as I said before, we have to make the best of the crappy situation we’ve gotten ourselves into by introducing these pests, and if we can help reduce numbers even in a small way then that should be considered a bonus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Yep about 2 years ago the final decision came out that they weren't going to do it. Obviously there were too many undetermined risk factors and they erred on the side of caution. Hope you're keeping well. Look forward to catching up if I can get back to Sydney sometime. Cheers, bn

How it all will be cleaned if virus is used - I have no idea. In any case - virus or else -  IMO it is lottery. Hope it just woun't be delayed until almost nothing left to protect. Keeping ok. Missing proper fishing like everyone else.

Some of the old ANSA freshwater comps used to provide a tip truck at the weigh in location to throw your carp into.  Amazing how many we got out of the system.  They weren't wasted either but went to be processed as fertiliser. 

The so call carp virus caused the carp to produce mostly male offsprings so there were less females to breed.   Also known as the Motherless Carp project, however I believe they are wary of releasing it in case it affects our natives.  Ron 

2 hours ago, lastworm said:

It is indeed timely news that a decision may be made by the end of 2021. As the article states, it shouldn't transfer to any other species and the main consideration is how to deal with the extremely high number of dead Carp which should be produced. Nothing much new information in the article except the possibility of a decision actually being reached. Thanks for posting the article. bn