Botany bay

Restyle

gday, today I thought I'd try and break my botany bay curse of a "decent fish", Headed out at 4am over to yarra bay to try for some kings. 
Wind predicted was 5km from the south, but was blowing a good 20km and quite lumpy for the hobie.

Pulled out one small squid very quickly, but was unable to get anymore.

My Live squid went untouched and ended up dying, Probably from whiplash from the swell and chop. fresh cuttlefish strips also went untouched. Pilchards and bonito strips had a few taps. From what I was told, only one boat pulled up a single king so I don't feel to bad about getting nothing. I started to head in by about 9:30 as the wind was not slowing down and it was quite choppy and annoying.

Water temp was 18.5c, a lot cooler then I thought, wind 30km/ south. Didn't even look at the tide, seemed it was rising though.

Guess ill stick to the Georges and the hacking. My drought of not catching a kingie in botany bay continues for a third year, but to be fair I only fish botany bay 5 times a year 

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

My drought of not catching a kingie in botany bay continues for a third year

Same here except its 5 years for me, caught a tidler last year, but nowhere near legal.

Im going to keep trying & trying & trying, I have a couple of different things I will be trying this season...................persistence has to pay off eventually 🙄

Thanks for the report, better luck next time ✌️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Hand grenades.  🤣

Well I prefer to use tactics but.......................

Dynamite fishing is a big thing..........................................where there are no laws or there is little respect for anything that lives in the sea.......................or humans for that matter  :whistling:

Edited by kingie chaser

Seems that the Kingfish have been very elusive recently. Evidenced by the lack of reports from our gun Fishraider anglers. In fact the last successes were Swordy and Shroom, but that was several weeks ago. They will turn up, though with the windy, wet weather which is prevalent at present, it could be a while. You can only keep trying. bn

15 hours ago, Jp2 said:

I think the apprentice has been throwing darts at balloons!!

very much have been, although, most of our weather forecasts are computer models

4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

I have a tip for you....target big flatties and/or jewies on live poddies and your first king will probably be a by-catch!

Exactly how I caught my first king, at the mouth of Gunnamatta while drifting for flatties on a stradic 1000 and a diawa ballistic rod, 70cm 

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Seems that the Kingfish have been very elusive recently. Evidenced by the lack of reports from our gun Fishraider anglers. In fact the last successes were Swordy and Shroom, but that was several weeks ago. They will turn up, though with the windy, wet weather which is prevalent at present, it could be a while. You can only keep trying. bn

yeah water temps are slacking abit and the current el nino and large amount of rainfall has been keeping them away. last year was quite good on the kings compared to current. I do quite good on kings in the hacking, just never caught one in botany bay for some odd reason.

12 hours ago, papafish said:

Damn 5am start usually ends up with a good haul, but that’s fishing. Nice to be out as always 

Yeah it usually dose, even for squid. I think i picked a dud day to go out 

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

I have had an epic week on the kings along the cliffs this week. In 3 x 2 hour sessions probably 60 fish caught and released with a few 75cm taken for the table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jp2 said:

I have had an epic week on the kings along the cliffs this week. In 3 x 2 hour sessions probably 60 fish caught and released with a few 75cm taken for the table.

Hey Jp, what u catching them on?

23 hours ago, Jp2 said:

That's a brilliant turn around Jp2. Excellent result. bn

On 11/17/2021 at 4:29 PM, Restyle said:

gday, today I thought I'd try and break my botany bay curse of a "decent fish", Headed out at 4am over to yarra bay to try for some kings. 
Wind predicted was 5km from the south, but was blowing a good 20km and quite lumpy for the hobie.

Pulled out one small squid very quickly, but was unable to get anymore.

My Live squid went untouched and ended up dying, Probably from whiplash from the swell and chop. fresh cuttlefish strips also went untouched. Pilchards and bonito strips had a few taps. From what I was told, only one boat pulled up a single king so I don't feel to bad about getting nothing. I started to head in by about 9:30 as the wind was not slowing down and it was quite choppy and annoying.

Water temp was 18.5c, a lot cooler then I thought, wind 30km/ south. Didn't even look at the tide, seemed it was rising though.

Guess ill stick to the Georges and the hacking. My drought of not catching a kingie in botany bay continues for a third year, but to be fair I only fish botany bay 5 times a year 

It’s like that sometimes. At least it’s not too much longer to wait for the water to warm up.

• Like 1