Port Hacking Squid

Larkin

Headed out Thursday morning - plan was to get a few squid and live bait in hopes of a king. 
picked up 4-5 squid and was trying out the front of sandshoes, along the cliffs and around the bommie. A couple of good hits that bit the front off the squid but no hook up.

started to churn a bit out there so decided to head back in and go on a squidding session instead.

water was clear and I was having a fun time watching the way they feed.
tip 1. Do a short jig to get their attention (wait 2-3 seconds) then do a second short jig but let it sink down (wait 5-6 seconds) much deeper before winding. They were always taking the jig on the second deeper drop.
Tip 2. once you’ve got one, always get your jig back out asap - to get its friends, most of the time 2-3 are hunting together.

ABBA8A4A-45F4-4BE3-A73B-D21384A07492.jpeg.bd53e876c3ad7af504c2a0dce0400edf.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hi papafish, I hate using fresh caught squid as bait - as it’s one of my favourite foods 😋 

Damn right. I’m got a long way to master the art of squid, I’m a noob. Tried at gymea at night for arrow, if I’m lucky I end up with a few if not. Then peanuts 😂 have u tried over there at night or morning?

Good tips for a newbie squider 👍, not often one can get a chance to see how they’re reacting to the jig, it’s great to watch them being tentative & change colour & then dart in for the grab, great catch did you need to change the colour or size to get all of them

10 hours ago, papafish said:

Damn right. I’m got a long way to master the art of squid, I’m a noob. Tried at gymea at night for arrow, if I’m lucky I end up with a few if not. Then peanuts 😂 have u tried over there at night or morning?

I get most my squid around morning or midday. Most of my squid spots I’ve found by live baiting poddies for flatties. They’ll grab the poddy and let go once near the surface. But I’m on the water, not land based.

havnt tried Gymea baths at night - tried it once in the morning a while ago, but nothing.

a few friends fished yowie ramp at night recently, said there was a heap there swimming around, but they weren’t taking any of their jigs.

9 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great haul 

some good eating and bait size there!

what size jigs?

Hey rob,

size 3.
I’m finding the Keimura/UV jacketed jigs are the way to go in the hacking during the day - especially on sunny days. 
These uv jigs work well in clear water.

8 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Good tips for a newbie squider 👍, not often one can get a chance to see how they’re reacting to the jig, it’s great to watch them being tentative & change colour & then dart in for the grab, great catch did you need to change the colour or size to get all of them

Hi crusher,

The water in the hacking is quite clear and on some days while wearing polarised glasses you can see the action underneath.

Personally I’m finding the bright colours in a UV/keimura jacket working well in the daytime - for the hacking. Got them all on one colour.

different jig colours and jackets for different systems and at different times of the day.

Plus you’ve got to change it up a bit.

for example, last week when the weather was rough and windy, I just put the jig out and did nothing. The wind kept me drifting and the waves/rocking motion was doing the jigging They were hooking themselves. I just keep drifting over the same spot.

another thing I’ve noticed, in the morning they’ll be closer to shore, by midday they move out a little deeper. 

9 hours ago, Larkin said:

Personally I’m finding the bright colours in a UV/keimura jacket working well in the daytime - for the hacking. Got them all on one colour.

different jig colours and jackets for different systems and at different times of the day.

Plus you’ve got to change it up a bit.

Last weekend I was prospecting off the rocks with a mate & I got non while he managed 12 on a green jig 2.5 & called me over after he couldn’t get anymore, with my pink jig size 3 managed to pull out 3 & we figured that was the whole school or the rest had moved on

• Like 1