Brisbane water flatties

thehairynurse

Bought “my son” a new lure yesterday for flatties. To be fair he did pick it, after i gave him a choice. We went out yesterday arvo for zip. Pucked him up after school and had him and my daughter in tow. Decided lures are best for him cause it gives him casting practice and he just winds baits straight in as if they were lures anyway. So after 10min i caught my girst flatty - just over 40cm and not sure how many i was going to catch i let it go. Caught on a 4” paddle tail. Changed lures a few times till i tied on my sons lure ( by this stage he and my daughter were having more fun playing in the sand). After a few casts a 50cm + flatty comin home for dinner.  Next cast into a snag and lost his lure. Guess im gonna have to go back to the tackle shop 😉

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Great work mate ! 
Oh well the lure probably cost you about a third of what you would have paid for the flathead at a fish shop - they’re horrendously expensive per kilo right now ! 
Flatties should be stacking up around half tide rocks and in Broken bay around now .

• Like 1

Well done HN, flatties are always welcome and seem to fight better on lures /SP than bait (keep the jig heads as light as you can). If you haven’t experimented with colours much, a few I like are motor oil, pumpkin seed, nuclear chicken, blood worm, probably in that order, but there are many (many) colours that catch fishermen (&fish). 

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, XD351 said:

Great work mate ! 
Oh well the lure probably cost you about a third of what you would have paid for the flathead at a fish shop - they’re horrendously expensive per kilo right now ! 
Flatties should be stacking up around half tide rocks and in Broken bay around now .

Where about in Broken Bay?

Best way is to drift , I usually drift from patonga to lion island or visa versa  around 100m from the shore . What you are looking for is to drift along the edge of a drop off where the water goes from 20ft into around 35 ft . Mix it up so if you don’t get anything on the first drift go in closer to shore or out wider - search for fish .

If you look at a marine chart you will see the subtle changes in depth which funnel the prawns and bait fish into one spot , another tactic is to fish the rubbish lines that form on the surface as these are the demarcation zones where the current flows and slows and fish use the to feed .

On 4/1/2022 at 6:47 PM, XD351 said:

Best way is to drift , I usually drift from patonga to lion island or visa versa  around 100m from the shore . What you are looking for is to drift along the edge of a drop off where the water goes from 20ft into around 35 ft . Mix it up so if you don’t get anything on the first drift go in closer to shore or out wider - search for fish .

If you look at a marine chart you will see the subtle changes in depth which funnel the prawns and bait fish into one spot , another tactic is to fish the rubbish lines that form on the surface as these are the demarcation zones where the current flows and slows and fish use the to feed .

Good tips there xd. I mainly fish from shore but my brothers getting a boat soon so will keep an eye on these spots