Lifejackets

Bryant fish

@Bryant fish Hope you don't take offense but are you suggesting your passengers life is somewhat less important than your own that they should wear a lesser safe jacket ?. I'm sure you don't.

Anyhow type100 jackets are designed for when the shore is within view and in relative calm conditions.

Type 150 cover all offshore conditions.

Frank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frankS said:

@Bryant fish Hope you don't take offense but are you suggesting your passengers life is somewhat less important than your own that they should wear a lesser safe jacket ?. I'm sure you don't.

Anyhow type100 jackets are designed for when the shore is within view and in relative calm conditions.

Type 150 cover all offshore conditions.

Frank

Not to be rude or start an argument as it's just probably my ignorance but don't most people have a couple of crappy life jackets for their passengers and have the good one as their own? That's how it's always worked with my uncle and mates.

9 hours ago, slothparade said:

Not to be rude or start an argument as it's just probably my ignorance but don't most people have a couple of crappy life jackets for their passengers and have the good one as their own? That's how it's always worked with my uncle and mates.

I have all 150's, but I can see some logic in having the best available for the skipper.

As the skipper you may go offshore solo, and potentially you could get knocked out and fall overboard. I came close once going a little too fast and coming down hard off the back of the wave. Smacked by forehead on the top of the windscreen. I was ok, but it could have been a lot worse.

So, a quality self inflating and self righting 150 is a good move for the solo trip outside. So perhaps more budget priced ones for the crew is ok  when there are a few on board to help each other out.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fragmeister said:

I have all 150's, but I can see some logic in having the best available for the skipper.

As the skipper you may go offshore solo, and potentially you could get knocked out and fall overboard. I came close once going a little too fast and coming down hard off the back of the wave. Smacked by forehead on the top of the windscreen. I was ok, but it could have been a lot worse.

So, a quality self inflating and self righting 150 is a good move for the solo trip outside. So perhaps more budget priced ones for the crew is ok  when there are a few on board to help each other out.

Cheers

Jim

Yeah, makes sense. My mates reason was that I'm a much better swimmer 😂

I have a sport/ 'comp' one which is really tight. I have no idea what this 100 or 150 means. Just as long as it floats seems good enough to me. 

I guess it's part of being young and ignorant and over confident but yeah.

Thanks 

I got so fed up with people setting off my inflatable jackets that I now give people a hat with corks and let fight it out. Really though Ive mostly gone back to foam as Ive had one go off that only partially inflated which simply isn't good enough if you are the one wearing it when things go seriously wrong. According to maritime they've heard of several not inflating correctly.

• Like 2

Love the analogy @Bryant fish "cheese block" 😂

Yes I have one of those cheese blocks in the garage but your 100%, if your actually going to wear one then you need to be comfortable.

They are as hot as hell in the middle of summer, cumbersome & thats why no one wears them.

The only benefit to them is if you capsize & they are in your hull they could probably help keep it afloat 🤔

Still I believe you should still wear one even if your not solo.

I wear my 150 whether solo in the bay or with other people offshore.

Stuff can happen to quickly!

Just follow the reg requirements but in never hurt to exceed those requirements when it comes to safety. 

https://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/lifejackets/lifejacket-law/index.html

• Like 1

Got home and checked old cheeseblocks manufacture date 2016 in good condition they don't expire do they.i only replaced all mine as 2 weeks ago getting boat ready old inflatable was inflated I knew I had two foam jobs in the boat and another in garage the one in garage looked ok until I pulled on 1 of the straps and it fell apart had been out of the sun so shows you need to inspect regularly, i self service inflatable every 6 months  but don't even think about the foam ones  need too check more often

When fishing in someone else's boat I like to take my own manually inflateable jacket.  Funny thing is that I keep 2 good quality old style vest jackets in my boat as well and prefer to wear one of these when crossing nasty river bars as a guy I know hit his head when he was rolled and struggled to pull inflation cord.  I change to inflateable for comfort when clear of the bar.  Ron 

• Like 2

In regards to cheese blocks I  couldn't fit through the bloody split windscreen in my boat and told the mrs these need to go as they are way to chunky and fat to get through tight spaces.

I took  it off in anger and no later than 5 minutes later I needed to get through the windscreen again to find i still couldn't get through the windscreen with only a T shirt on.

I look back at the mrs sitting on the rear bench with a smug look on her face for her to then proceed to tell me perhaps I should take my T shirt off to see if I fit through the windscreen now .🙄😂😂

Some women are just born rude.

Let's just say I now leap over the windscreen gracefully like a gazelle.🤣😂.I'm still working out how the dents got in the bow as they weren't there before.😉

• Haha 6