Whiting on the flats

jenno64

Took a mate out today for a whiting bash on the Hacking flats. Gathered some nippers yesterday arvo as the morning tide was going to be a bit too full. First lines out about 7:30am just as the tide started to run harder. Found a few smaller ones then my whippy whiting rod was bent over and a nice 40+ model came on board. Moved around a fair bit with most coming on the drift. Managed a few over 30cm and about 5 more just over legal so 9 in total. Pleasant day on the water and a few fillets between us!

Whiting 2 december 21.jpg

Whiting December 21 (3).jpg

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Now that’s a thumper whiting! Good time of the year to chase them! Do you ever use the sugarpens for them??? They work a treat and great visual fishing. Enjoy 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

Any particular type and do they work on the beach??? Thx

38 minutes ago, papafish said:

Any particular type and do they work on the beach??? Thx

Any prawn imitation sugarpens will work. No particular colour. More productive in estuary than of the beach as there is too much movement. Worked in a walk the dog method they are deadly on the flats! 

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Any prawn imitation sugarpens will work. No particular colour. More productive in estuary than of the beach as there is too much movement. Worked in a walk the dog method they are deadly on the flats! 

So anything that’s like a prawn haha will do

17 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Took a mate out today for a whiting bash on the Hacking flats. Gathered some nippers yesterday arvo as the morning tide was going to be a bit too full. First lines out about 7:30am just as the tide started to run harder. Found a few smaller ones then my whippy whiting rod was bent over and a nice 40+ model came on board. Moved around a fair bit with most coming on the drift. Managed a few over 30cm and about 5 more just over legal so 9 in total. Pleasant day on the water and a few fillets between us!

Whiting 2 december 21.jpg

Whiting December 21 (3).jpg

Way to go Rob - a really nice whitting.

21 hours ago, Rebel said:

Good haul. Well done.

Cheers.

Thanks, good to get a few!

17 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Now that’s a thumper whiting! Good time of the year to chase them! Do you ever use the sugarpens for them??? They work a treat and great visual fishing. Enjoy 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff, I do use sugarpens but there wasn't much wind up so I think the surface was a bit quiet. There were a few guys wading with topwater lures but not much action.

16 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well done Jenno, hope your mate enjoyed themselves too. Great to eat, especially at those sizes. bn

Thanks BN, my mate had a ball and is now looking at buying a tinny:)

16 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Mate it was a cracking day for it. Nice elbow slapper

Cheers mate!

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

A good bag of whiting Rob.

Thanks Dave, only 3 over 30 but you seemed to get a bag of better ones! I released another dozen fish just on legal. I used a long trace on my whiting rod and it got 70% of the fish for the day!

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Way to go Rob - a really nice whitting.

Thanks Bob! My next target is kings:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Thanks Dave, only 3 over 30 but you seemed to get a bag of better ones! I released another dozen fish just on legal. I used a long trace on my whiting rod and it got 70% of the fish for the day!

For me, I use 6 pound mono and a size 0 ball sinker running up to the nipper. Most of mine took a non moving nipper sitting on the bottom.