Hacking in and out thurs 30th

hookerbruce

Weather forecast was good for thurs but expecting it to be busy, not disappointed. Went with my son and two grandsons. Put boat in at Grays point and and got 2nd trailer spot out of carpark which was okay. Started out a slow day, tried deep water off lilli pilli for no pilchards. Then fished Bundeena shoreline for no squid,  next stop was Jibbon bommie couldn't find any kingfish or any squid. Plenty of baitfish around. Next went out and drifted for blue spot flathead, 40 mins produced 3 just legals, had 3 options go in and fish the reefy area near the bommie or the flats in the river or keep looking for blue spots. Decided on all 3 options, eventually found a few blue spots for a feed on new years eve, then fished near the bommie best fish a 45cm reddie. Then we went back in the river pumped nippers and caught a 55cm  flathead, a 84cm  longtom and a few other fish.

Eventually ended up with a good catch of fish and then the surprise back at the ramp only a queue of three vehicles to retrieve the boat which took very little  time.

Was a good day out.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Hi Dave

The flathead were out a bit wider in 45 to 50 m. In the river we always fish the tide rising over the flats, on thurs we fished last hour of runnout in almost no water. 

When I was out Thursday, the flatties were hard to find, even the spikies were quieter than normal. I found a few near Kurnell. Earlier I tried the 200 foot mark (60 metres) for not a bite. I was a bit of distance out, so have an idea of the depth.

I found the hole in my boat, at least I think that is the problem, so patched it yesterday - see how it goes once in the water.

That is a good sized long tom, the teeth on them are rather dangerous when they get angry in a boat.  🤣

Edited by Yowie

16 hours ago, joshGTV said:

Hi Bruce, what's longtom like to eat?

Once they get over 60cm you can get good boneless fillets from them. We think they are one of good eating fish white flesh and a mild taste similar to whiting or garfish. Smaller ones are very fiddly to remove the bones.