Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep up from Lilli Pilli. The only legal fish was the flattie.

Pumped some nippers at Maianbar and tried there for 2 whiting. Missed 2 more, including one that busted 6 pound mono. Don't know how that happened, must have been a weakness in the line. The whiting looked high 30's so was a nice one. Did not lose too many baits.

I tried a few drifts on the Lilli Pilli flats for the bream, and released a smaller bream and a flounder. Lost a few fish today, just would not hook up properly - fighting about, taking line against the drag then gone. 

Plenty of boats about, so I moved to a quiet spot and had a few drifts, which resulted in the biggest of the whiting. Worth the missed fish.

fish.jpeg.337_files_files.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

My son and I were also out in our 5m centre console.  We probably saw you.  Got some squid early and had one taker but didn’t hook up.  Still a fine say

4A5CA0D8-1CBF-4442-B3C9-DCEE6E1402C0.jpeg

993BECDE-388C-4FD8-8BCD-E8258D1B41AB.jpeg

I moved to a few different spots during the morning, and there were many boats out, different styles and sizes.

It was a good day out, except for the early morning shower. Just a light sprinkle, then the sky fell in before I could put on the rain gear, so just put up with it.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Great result as always mate.Will I have any luck launching from grays at around 7-8am Tues or Thurs as I have things in morning and can't be there earlier otherwise I would?

Cheers.

Thank you.

I think there are quite a few boats launching at Grays most of the day, though I have not been there for a long while. Bruce (hookerbruce) tells me it is busy some days and not too bad on others.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

I thought you'd be out today Yowie! I had a few hook-ups and losses the other day too! Nice flatty and your regular fillets will be nice on the table, last whiting was a corker!

Still it was very busy on the water. The big whiting put up a good fight from the start, took a while to get it to the net. When I pulled it out of the net, the hook fell out. 

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thank you.

I think there are quite a few boats launching at Grays most of the day, though I have not been there for a long while. Bruce (hookerbruce) tells me it is busy some days and not too bad on others.

Cheers mate.

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done Dave, nicely done again, you certainly get some good whiting.

Thanks Bob. Need a bit of time to find the bigger whiting. The boats, and especially the jet skis roaring about in the shallows, scare the fish making them a bit reluctant to bite at times.

Dave, those jet skis and power boats scare me, little own the fish. At the mouth of the Colo where Lower Portland ramp meets the Hawkesbury they scream by (and it’s a 4kn zone)- wash and wake is a real nuisance.

7 hours ago, Pickles said:

Dave, those jet skis and power boats scare me, little own the fish. At the mouth of the Colo where Lower Portland ramp meets the Hawkesbury they scream by (and it’s a 4kn zone)- wash and wake is a real nuisance.

Some do roar past a bit too close. A heat seeker missile would solve that problem. :074:

There are a few fishos and other boaties that would like them banned from the Hacking (and probably elsewhere)

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Some do roar past a bit too close. A heat seeker missile would solve that problem. :074:

There are a few fishos and other boaties that would like them banned from the Hacking (and probably elsewhere)

They'd only roar past once with a steel cable spanned across the river at neck height too.I'm guessing it would be very tranquil fishing after that.😉

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:04 PM, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning to the deep up from Lilli Pilli. The only legal fish was the flattie.

Pumped some nippers at Maianbar and tried there for 2 whiting. Missed 2 more, including one that busted 6 pound mono. Don't know how that happened, must have been a weakness in the line. The whiting looked high 30's so was a nice one. Did not lose too many baits.

I tried a few drifts on the Lilli Pilli flats for the bream, and released a smaller bream and a flounder. Lost a few fish today, just would not hook up properly - fighting about, taking line against the drag then gone. 

Plenty of boats about, so I moved to a quiet spot and had a few drifts, which resulted in the biggest of the whiting. Worth the missed fish.

fish.jpeg.337_files_files.jpg

Well done mate 👍 

Nice catch of table fish