Unexpected squid and a lot of lost kings - middle harbour

nal

Hey all, headed out for a session on the boat today with a plan to find bustups and hopefully snag a few fish, after roughly 2 hours of looking we finally found one, however the awkward positioning of it and the fact that there were dozens of boats cramped around it on moorings made for a difficult time.

Eventually my mate brought a 40cm tailor up and it was followed by the tiniest king I have ever seen would’ve been 25-30cm and a larger model probably low 60s, however they were extremely reluctant and they soon left.

After one more tailor and a lost frigate mackerel at the boat we decided to try a different spot in hopes of finding some more action. We decided to cast a few small metals down in a place I have seen bustups before and instead my mate brought up a squid in a spot I never knew squids were.

Soon we had boated 7 squids, 5 I caught on a paternoster squid rig and my mate got 2 on a metal, all in the middle of the day. We were ready to livebait for kings.

We took the squid back to the spot where we first saw bustups and 5mins in my mate hooked up to a small but worthwhile king in the 50s and landed it. About 10 or so minutes later I hooked up to an absolute monster and it smoked me in tight structure immediately, I then preceded to get absolutely smashed by another large king and my mates both got smoked by 2 other big kings each.

The insanely tight structural area made it almost impossible to land any decent fish, after about an hour or so of getting smashed the action died down and we decided to head back.

A good day overall and a new squid and king spot was achieved, hopefully can land some larger models later in the week.

Thanks, Max

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Bryant fish said:

Well done half the battle with kings is getting  the right  bait so you got that sorted for the day. Always a hard toss up bait or dinner  with squid at least you have a starting point  for next time cheers

Yeah thanks, was one of the first times I had managed to achieve a decent amount of squid on my boat during day time, so I was ecstatic to say the least.

14 hours ago, Max_fish said:

Hey all, headed out for a session on the boat today with a plan to find bustups and hopefully snag a few fish, after roughly 2 hours of looking we finally found one, however the awkward positioning of it and the fact that there were dozens of boats cramped around it on moorings made for a difficult time.

Eventually my mate brought a 40cm tailor up and it was followed by the tiniest king I have ever seen would’ve been 25-30cm and a larger model probably low 60s, however they were extremely reluctant and they soon left.

After one more tailor and a lost frigate mackerel at the boat we decided to try a different spot in hopes of finding some more action. We decided to cast a few small metals down in a place I have seen bustups before and instead my mate brought up a squid in a spot I never knew squids were.

Soon we had boated 7 squids, 5 I caught on a paternoster squid rig and my mate got 2 on a metal, all in the middle of the day. We were ready to livebait for kings.

We took the squid back to the spot where we first saw bustups and 5mins in my mate hooked up to a small but worthwhile king in the 50s and landed it. About 10 or so minutes later I hooked up to an absolute monster and it smoked me in tight structure immediately, I then preceded to get absolutely smashed by another large king and my mates both got smoked by 2 other big kings each.

The insanely tight structural area made it almost impossible to land any decent fish, after about an hour or so of getting smashed the action died down and we decided to head back.

A good day overall and a new squid and king spot was achieved, hopefully can land some larger models later in the week.

Thanks, Max

Great Rport Max_fish.

Always difficult to find squid in summer with so many fish about, but find the bait and you will find the fish.

Dan

• Like 1

Sounds like the plan is set for the next adventure mate. We got dusted in shallow water on the weekend so feel your pain! 

Nice report. What rig are you in? I will say hello if I see you in Middle Harbour.

Cheers

D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Sounds like the plan is set for the next adventure mate. We got dusted in shallow water on the weekend so feel your pain! 

Nice report. What rig are you in? I will say hello if I see you in Middle Harbour.

Cheers

D

Haha thanks, the kings are definitely back, I’m in a 449 stacer outlaw with a 50hp Suzuki, if you see me feel free to say hi, what about you?

Top report Max, thanks for sharing and well done. It keeps you coming back for more when you “chance” an opportunity and then apply the past experience (common sense) to put 2 and 2 together and it pays off.

Kingies can be soooo fickle - one day they will only take squid, another cuttlefish and then they’ll only hit on Yakkas or slimies, I’ve even had them ignore everything and only take tiny pieces of pilchard.

You did well mate - look forward to your next report.

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Top report Max, thanks for sharing and well done. It keeps you coming back for more when you “chance” an opportunity and then apply the past experience (common sense) to put 2 and 2 together and it pays off.

Kingies can be soooo fickle - one day they will only take squid, another cuttlefish and then they’ll only hit on Yakkas or slimies, I’ve even had them ignore everything and only take tiny pieces of pilchard.

You did well mate - look forward to your next report.

Thanks pickles,

You are 100% right about the kings, today I had a day where there was loads at my feet but wouldn’t touch anything I threw at them.