Looking to buy a boat - first time owner

Davofishing

Gday everyone. 

I’ve finally obtained approval from the better half to purchase a boat. Ive never owned one before and I’m honestly not sure what to look out for when purchasing used, what’s brands and models to target or stay away from, what price is fair, how to ensure the motor works etc etc. This is where i was hoping to get some help from more experienced folk like you legends. 

My aim is to go out with my family (of 4) or fishing with one or two mates (main use will be fishing) - only lake fishing, nothing rough. Nothing too fancy, just something that will get me from A to B without fuss.

From my limited googling and informal chats with mates, this is what I think might be a good starting point:

- deep hull, good for the kids 

- 40hp motor, gets me out of trouble/swell. 2/4 stroke? Not sure what’s more appropriate

- roughly 4-4.5, enough for 4 people plus storing stuff

- a retractable shade, good for kids 

my budget is around 11k-12k - I’m not sure if this is unreasonable for my expectations? I’m only really looking on gumtree/Facebook marketplace around the Sydney area at the moment - not too sure if there are better platforms for this.  

Any assistance around this would be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

For your first boat may I suggest that you buy a old basher for not a lot of money.

You may not use it as much as you think you will, and your mates may not have the same time as you after a while.

I have my 14 foot brooker aluminium up for sale at the moment, it has all the bells and whistles that you need and I do have a brand new bimini for it as well as everything listed.

Asking price is just $4000 look at it in the sale section of this forum. IF you want more photos email me fastrailers@optusnet.com.au

Frank

• Thanks 1

Bigger can be better but 4.5 meter is a good compromise.   For a long time I had a 4.5 quintrex Lazeabout but I found a 60hp was right for me.  I would add the following to your wish list. Flat floor. Underfloor fuel tank. A good sounder and maybe gps. Nav lights. If your a serious fisherman I couldn't do without a live bait tank. 

Biggest decision is tin or glass, I'm a tinny man myself.  Tinny is lighter and tougher but dousnt ride as well but later blade type hulls are pretty good.  I am a convert to 4stroke for quietness and no messing around with fuel mix issues.  You should be able to find something suitable for your price range.  Last but not least, dont forģet to consider the condition of the trailer. Good luck.  Ron 

Thanks Frank. I did have a look at that but I’m afraid of buying something too old purely because I dont know what to look out for. The requirement of a paint job kinda scares me too - no idea where to start with that.

Thanks campr, awesome insight. Them additional wish list items totally make sense - appreciate the feedback. is there a specific model/brand and year model I should stick to? What is too old? Or is the condition of the boat the main factor? 

always scary going into something like this not knowing much about it but keen to learn as much as possible! 

32 minutes ago, Davofishing said:

. is there a specific model/brand and year model I should stick to? What is too old? Or is the condition of the boat the main factor? 

Yep.

Like anything mechanical, service logs, level of maintenance etc all play a factor in somethings value.

I would rather by an older boat that someone has looked after & serviced regularly than a newer boat with no history & not maintained, you can tell!

Imo forget about free sites, full of time wasters, look at boatsales.com or go to a second hand dealer.

Take someone with you as well with more knowledge so they can be more objective.  

But much more experienced guys on here than me when talking boats.

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, mob0103 said:

I have an estuary angler similar to this one.4 people or 2 adults and 2 kids for a cruise/picnic is fine but I wouldn't fish 4 up.2 up for fishing is ideal for one of these boats. We fish three up and it is cosy.

Being a run about configuration  it will provide shelter for you and your kids more than say an open boat.

Mine is unpainted for ease of maintenance running a yamaha 30 hp 2 stroke which is still plenty even 3 up it goes really well.Cut through chop really well,handles well,easy to tow,maintain,launch,garage,etc.

Whatever boat you buy make sure you take someone to look over it or pay someone to look over it for you.

The trailer is Just as imlortant as the engine and hull in my opinion because without it you have an expensive garden gnome.

My suggestion is decide on the type of boat...run about,open,forward steer,tiller,etc then specifically go out looking for something YOU CAN AFFORD based on that.

I would go aluminium for your first boat and unpainted if possible as painted boats nearly always have issues.(They don't stay looking nice for long).The main thing is get someone to at least check things like engine compression, lower gear oil,All welds for cracks,lift floor if possible,check trailer bearings,and visually inspect everything for condition,deterioration. Operate everything, listen,hear,smell look for anything odd.

There's a million things you can check and even without much experience common sense and your senses can tell you alot from a boat package.

Good luck.

Edited by Fab1

I just recently bought my first boat which is a Renegade 460 and I reckon its an excellent size for a family of 4 (it is rated for 5).

I think you could get away with a 4.4m open boat with smaller children in bays and estuaries but I think 420 is just too small for what you want to do.

Bimini is non-negotiable with family. I have one and chose not to put it on the boat the first two times we went out. Never again.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Salvatore

15 hours ago, motiondave said:

Where are you located?

Appreciated the feedback - I'm in Western Sydney mate. 

I feel like 40-50HP is my aim, enough to get me out of trouble if required. I alot of people are recommending aluminium, I think I'll aim for that for now.

Thanks @Salvatore - totally agree with the size and bimini requirement - I will aim around this size whilst hunting.

Thanks @Fab1 - appreciate the detailed feedback. 

Getting someone to look over it seems like an expensive exercise ($500 from my little research) but I think it's justified if you're making such an investment, especially given I don't know much about boats. But I do totally agree - I'm hoping a lot of it will be common sense (rust, condition etc). 

I appreciated everyone's responses. I feel like I have an idea of what I'm after and what to look out for, let's hope I don't find a lemon :)

Thanks again!

23 hours ago, Davofishing said:

Gday everyone. 

I’ve finally obtained approval from the better half to purchase a boat. Ive never owned one before and I’m honestly not sure what to look out for when purchasing used, what’s brands and models to target or stay away from, what price is fair, how to ensure the motor works etc etc. This is where i was hoping to get some help from more experienced folk like you legends. 

My aim is to go out with my family (of 4) or fishing with one or two mates (main use will be fishing) - only lake fishing, nothing rough. Nothing too fancy, just something that will get me from A to B without fuss.

From my limited googling and informal chats with mates, this is what I think might be a good starting point:

- deep hull, good for the kids 

- 40hp motor, gets me out of trouble/swell. 2/4 stroke? Not sure what’s more appropriate

- roughly 4-4.5, enough for 4 people plus storing stuff

- a retractable shade, good for kids 

my budget is around 11k-12k - I’m not sure if this is unreasonable for my expectations? I’m only really looking on gumtree/Facebook marketplace around the Sydney area at the moment - not too sure if there are better platforms for this.  

Any assistance around this would be much appreciated. 

Just out of curiosity, what boating experience do you have? 

Have you been on an aluminium or fibreglass boats of around 4m with up to 4 people oboard? 

If I was you I would be going on as many rides as possible before making a purchase.

There is nothing like a bit of real on water experience to help you make up your mind. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

Just had a quick look on boatsales, people asking stupid money as usual.

Don't discount new.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2021-quintrex-420-dory/OAG-AD-19490095/?Cr=11

Add a bimini for a couple of hundred and a good sounder for $600 - $700 and you'll end up with a good little set up for what you want. Bonus is you are not buying someone else's problem and everything is covered by a warranty.

You will be able to go outside a little on good days as well.

• Like 2

Quoting what I said in a different thread...

On 10/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, JustJames said:

As a relative newcomer to boat ownership, here are my thoughts...

As boats get longer, they get higher and wider too (derr!), which is why, as others have said, what looks like a relatively small incerase in size, actually gets a substantially larger boat.

I wasn't sure if boating was going to stick with me, so around this time lat year, I bought a small  (3.75m) tinny figuring that I would get most of my money back when it came to time to sell (to get out of boating or to upgrade).  And while I got my purchase price back, I didn't get back the money I spent on improving the boat.  I had added a bimini, a cover and had spent time and money on replacing the water pump and re-sealing the lower unit of the outboard.   If you decide to enter boat ownership this way, get a newer/more recently serviced outboard than I did!

Towards the end of last summer I upgraded to a 4.9m fibreglass cuddy cab, which has room for SWMBO to escape the sun if she chooses.  It's big enough to have four people comfortably on board.  The 60 hp donk is adequate.  More hp might have been nice, but I enjoy trolling so it's not really a bid deal.

The bigger boat is still small enough that I can launch and retrieve single handed with ease.  If anything it's easier than the little tinny.  Go figure!

Your budget will give you a great choice of boats, and I would definitely go larger rather than smaller.  

As with buying anything from a private seller, buy the seller as much as you buy the boat.

• Like 1

sorry guys i thought this was a used boat not new my bad sorry.REN 460 that is just bullshit $6000 to $7000 tops ,the seller  must me waiting for a real dumb consumer to come say hi ,at the end of the day all used boats on the market have been over priced, but i reckon that none are really selling at 70% over there real value .i  reckon when the deal is done its 10% up on 2020 prices cheers dunc 333

Edited by dunc333
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

REN 460 that is just bullshit $6000 to $7000 tops ,the seller  must me waiting for a real dumb consumer to come say hi ,at the end of the day all used boats on the market have been over priced, but i reckon that none are really selling at 70% over there real value .i  reckon when the deal is done its 10% up on 2020 prices cheers dunc 333

New ones are a ripoff too.i remember 10yrs ago you use to get a busta for less than 10k.They are pretty much double now.Wages certainly haven't doubled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

REN 460 that is just bullshit $6000 to $7000 tops ,the seller  must me waiting for a real dumb consumer to come say hi ,at the end of the day all used boats on the market have been over priced, but i reckon that none are really selling at 70% over there real value .i  reckon when the deal is done its 10% up on 2020 prices cheers dunc 333

It's brand new BMT package.

Seen the price of aluminium lately ?

Yeah agreed - prices have shot you from when I was causally looking around a year ago. I really like the idea of new, with warranty, no worries, slowly adding what I want to it when the money is there, but also don’t want to be royally ripped off. I guess it the same as a car, you’ll lose value the second or leave the lot. 

Thanks Dave - will definitely take you up on your offer when this COVID crap dies down. 

I really do appreciate everyone’s feedback - I have a much clearer picture in my head of what I want. Just need to clear the mud in my head on what to look out for when purchasing. 

Feel free to keep the discussion going!  

I was originally looking for something similar to what you’re looking for, with an initial budget around the same. 

I ended up buying a year old/50 hour renegade 460 with all the bells and whistles for about $40k, $10k less than the owner paid as new price with everything included. I couldn’t be happier but the market is rough and boats are definitely selling at the high prices they’re listed for. 

Edited by Salvatore

12 hours ago, dunc333 said:

Not correct - I have recent experience. I tried to pull the trigger on at least 5 boats before I ended up with one. If the prices aren’t stupidly over the top, they’ll sell quickly with no real room for negotiation - especially anything that is young and in good nick in the 4.4-5m range. 

Someone I know sold their boat for $5k more than they bought it a few years back, unimproved. 

supply and demand 

• Like 1

yes i apoligise guys i thought it was a 2nd hand tinny and your right if some one comes along and want it they will pay .have alook at the boats on facebook market place ,there are lots of over priced boats on there thats just my opinion cheers dunc333

• Like 1

On the issue of over priced vs a "sensible" price...

Something is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.  There are good deals to be had, but they are snapped up quickly.

If boats are changing hands for more than you are prepared to pay, they are not over priced.  You are simply not in the market (at that price).

• Like 1

Main things to check are: Hull condition, Trailer condition, Motor-condition and hours if poss. 2 stroke 50+ should keep you out of trouble in a tin hull. A 4 stroke would be awesome, they're very reliable but heavier. You can get your local marine mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection for peace of mind. Good advice from others re: actual vs anticipated usage here too.

Good Luck!

BOAT - Bring On Another Thousand!