Middle harbour Mahi/dolphin fish sighting

nal

Hey everyone,

The past week There has been a massive bait ball sitting in the shallows easily accessible by land, and it has been surrounded by kings every single morning. However, as I was watching kings swimming around, but with incredible reluctance to take anything but the bait they were chasing a saw a fish probably 60-70cm swimming around too, too my shock I noticed that it’s slightly skinnier and longer body with bright green and yellow colours, was most likely a middle harbour mahi mahi, a very rare sight that I’d thought I’d share. 
Maybe this Lanina weather event accompanied with this odd season has brought in the offshore fish following in the bait?

Thanks, Max 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

What would excite me is if people start catching mahi-mahi shore based on the harbour!

Hopefully I can snag one in the same spot tomorrow might have to get the yakkas ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Rare but not unheard of, a mate & his friend last year picked up one each in lake Mac & a few years back now I’ve caught a few small ones just inside north head while trolling 

Yeah wouldnt it be something to catch one of those that deep in the harbour, wasn’t exactly that small either, probably in the 70s. Still nothing giant ofc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I caught a spotted mackerel off Lilli Pilli about 15 years ago, and the occasional yellow fin tuna turn up in Port Hacking.

Anything is possible if the northern fish swim this far south.

Yeah, hopefully they are here to stay for a little while

Not sure if it has to do with la nina(most likley) but the warm currents are pushing right up against the coast & an even warmer current a bit wider off the nsw coast is being pushed down from QLD. 

1514895241_Screenshot_20220112-162049_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cbc116d58bd572d9a106550bb2910191.jpg

Press play on this BOM web page & you can see it push down off Sydney.

http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/forecasts/idyoc300.shtml?region=NSW&forecast=SST#

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Not sure if it has to do with la nina(most likley) but the warm currents are pushing right up against the coast & an even warmer current a bit wider off the nsw coast is being pushed down from QLD. 

1514895241_Screenshot_20220112-162049_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cbc116d58bd572d9a106550bb2910191.jpg

Press play on this BOM web page & you can see it push down off Sydney.

http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/forecasts/idyoc300.shtml?region=NSW&forecast=SST#

Hopefully a good sign of things to come!