Surf casting a camera

Volitan

Most of my fishing is beach fishing on the Central Coast. I always find myself wondering what is going on out at the bait end. Always wishing I could understand better what fish are around and how they behave.

Lately I decided to put the mysteries to rest and attach a camera to the line as well as the bait. It’s taken some time to get to the point where I can cast a camera 40 or 50 meters offshore and get it back reliably. I’ve also lost 5 cameras refining the process - two cast off, one snagged, one flooded and one taken by a shark (true - they love weak electrical fields).

I use just cheap GoPro clones in homemade fittings. The surf environment is harsh - the cameras get knocked down as each wave goes past but are designed to self-right and always point back at the bait. Then they get knocked down again by the backwash. The videos that result aren’t pretty either. When the surf is over a metre it’s like being in a brown blizzard of sand with short clear spells. They give the information needed though - there is heaps to be learnt from this. It’s nothing like how I imagined it.

I have put together some clips from a trip to Putty Beach a couple of days ago.  I know it’s poor quality - when I get a new computer and overcome my dislike of video editing I’ll do some better ones - and maybe provide some commentary if people are interested. 

cheers

V.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

This and your other underwater video could make for great 'slow TV'. It's like looking at an aquarium! could do it for hours!

Did you actually catch any of the fish, or were you just leaving it out there for filming purposes?

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

This and your other underwater video could make for great 'slow TV'. It's like looking at an aquarium! could do it for hours!

Did you actually catch any of the fish, or were you just leaving it out there for filming purposes?

Agree Little_Flatty, i can watch this all day. Sadly there isn't much content like ths on Youtube at the moment.

23 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Yes, I catch fish at the same time. In fact the flounder that you see in the video was hooked and in the original video you see it being dragged right into the sand and me bending down to pick it up. I cut that bit out because there are some very sensitive people on YouTube so not everyone would approve.

Anyway, this is a frame from the video that I thought might interest people. This is taken by the camera as it’s being cast out and is just past the apex of its arc. You can see the pilchard bait and the little float I use to keep it off the bottom. Immediately below is the fisherman/photographer (me) in the orange hat. You can’t see the rod because it’s pointing straight at the camera. Shame about the big drop of water on the lens. Cheers

0A971C15-CB3F-4333-9063-30B31E78D0EC.jpeg

• Like 5

Brilliant initiative, thanks for sharing. Even the cheap Chinese knockoffs aren’t cheap, but what can be learned from the experience makes it an investment. I’ve used my GoPro to film fish (mostly Kingies) taking the bait and their approach before doing so and it’s been a real eye opener.

Great job.

Excellent. Just excellent. Love the ingenuity and persistence. That looks like one healthy beach with all that bio activity - or you have some awesome bait! 
I’m a little surprised you didn’t capture a seagull in the aerial shot - seems every time I used to cast pillies on gangs off the beach there would be a flock of seagulls dive bombing the bait. 
cheers Zoran