Port Hacking - Rat attack

Restyle

Headed out to port hacking to chase some kings with the good weather and a bit of break from the Jews. Armed with some squid & a bag of salted pilchards I made my way to lilli pilli and tied onto a vacant mooring and started burleying hard and also throwing out floaters and waiting for the yakkas or pillies to turn up. First fish was a 44cm trev at 6.30am which was the start of a rather active session. 

hjkhg.thumb.png.e0d170419fdfa176965c651f7d0db441.png

Shortly after school of yakkas turned up so I threw one out live and kept 6 for frozen jew bait. a 62cm king took the rather large yakka and gave me a boring fight on the heavy gear which was followed by another trev which measured 41cm at 7.30. Wind picked up and it goes quite for an a bit. Yowie was anchored not to far off from me. had a laugh at him waving off a cruiser which was going to close to him & watching him go hard on the hand lines. Hopefully he got himself a feed. 

khjug.thumb.png.666feecebc9ef64dcbee06461bd587a2.png

Large schools of kings headed in at 8.20am pulled 3 fish out of this school in quick succession with a range of 65cm to around 40cm followed by another school at 9am which I used the last of my squid on and pulled out 2, around 40-50cm on both. 

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.da4d25e848a7fda702fdee47bbb9dc68.pngfghfgh.thumb.png.8a4bb4f1fcf1dd579661e7c3ef276052.png

last bit of fun for the day was throwing on a tiny bit of squid on a 6/0, 1kg rod and a stradic 1000 and see if I can have abit of fun on a micro king. Busted off haha 

Overall, fun day 6 rat kings and a couple solid trevs.

khjug.png

Edited by Restyle
  • Like 13

Good work, you found the fish - the kingies go hard on handlines I was using. A couple of nice trevs as well.

That numbnut in the boat motored in rather close, some of them just cannot move out a little bit from other boats. I had a kingie on a handline, and a tailor on the rod, at the same time, and the tailor was on the surface out from the boat as I let him run and concentrated on the kingie.

There were a few kingies under the boat at times, catching 3 was enough for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Good work, you found the fish - the kingies go hard on handlines I was using. A couple of nice trevs as well.

That numbnut in the boat motored in rather close, some of them just cannot move out a little bit from other boats. I had a kingie on a handline, and a tailor on the rod, at the same time, and the tailor was on the surface out from the boat as I let him run and concentrated on the kingie.

There were a few kingies under the boat at times, catching 3 was enough for me.

like a well oiled machine on the handlines haha, I had 2 solid mid 30 tailor cut me off boat side early morning - oh well. big king schools on the sounder at times & had one take a squid head while i was un tangling the rod. Quite quickly pulled it away from him. kings were very hungry today, Boat near me pulled in a 79 model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Looks like you have a knack for finding kings as well as jewies! Well done!

Sounds like you've also found the coordinates for @Yowie's Costi's reef. Soon some plate sized snapper will turn up in your catch to distract you from your jewies 🤣

I yank the line away from the snapper - I leave them for Yowie as id just turf them back anyway 

• Haha 1

If you don't mind me asking, what type of rig were u using when u caught the kingies? Like what size sinker, hook, how far you suspended the livie and bait above the bottom, the way u rigged it up, etc. Im quite keen to get out there soon and have a crack at the kingies aswell. I've only ever caught one so far and was great fun but im still looking for the most amount of information I can get about chasing them before I get back out on the hacking myself.

Im also quite new to the forums but seems like a great community and have so far gained a bunch of knowledge about the hacking. 

Cheers :)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bazz said:

If you don't mind me asking, what type of rig were u using when u caught the kingies? Like what size sinker, hook, how far you suspended the livie and bait above the bottom, the way u rigged it up, etc. Im quite keen to get out there soon and have a crack at the kingies aswell. I've only ever caught one so far and was great fun but im still looking for the most amount of information I can get about chasing them before I get back out on the hacking myself.

Im also quite new to the forums but seems like a great community and have so far gained a bunch of knowledge about the hacking. 

Cheers :)

Welcome to fish raider mate!

Kings can be anywhere from the surface or down close to the bottom, baits can vary as they can have days of eating everything and days where they won’t touch a thing. I usually have 1 rod with unweighted pilchard or fish strips and another rod with a bit of lead which gets me down deep I usually use this rod for lives and larger baits as the bigger fish generally seem to hang deep

6/0 hook, and a meter of Fluorocarbon with a swivel with sinker on main line. Unweighted rod is the same minus the swivel and sinker. The sinker size Varys depending on current, live bait size etc, but as small as possible is my general goal. It’s abit of trial and error but if you have spots In the hacking I can tell you what I prefer to use. everyone has their own way of catching fish and my preferred way may not be your preferred way to catch fish.

It’s also best to have the livie just off the bottom (4-6 reel winds) so it doesn't hide in weed on the bottom. You can clip the tail of yakka to make them swim harder to move.

Free swimming is effective too just don’t have multiple lines out or an anchor as you’ll get tangled real quick. 

Basically just be ready to be swapped with different rigs as you’ll generally see where there sitting on the sounder and you can change both rods to fish where they are feeding. Without a sounder just use 1 of the rods and fish different depths till you find one that produces.

From the land I use 1 rod float, one rod free weight or a free weight live squid

Edited by Restyle
  • Like 3

Great report and info - Kingies sure give you a hurry up on hand lines.
(I had a spell last year on fishing handline only and used a section of 22mm bike inner tube on my index finger as a “stall” and still got cuts from the line, good fun though.)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Restyle said:

Welcome to fish raider mate!

Kings can be anywhere from the surface or down close to the bottom, baits can vary as they can have days of eating everything and days where they won’t touch a thing. I usually have 1 rod with unweighted pilchard or fish strips and another rod with a bit of lead which gets me down deep I usually use this rod for lives and larger baits as the bigger fish generally seem to hang deep

6/0 hook, and a meter of Fluorocarbon with a swivel with sinker on main line. Unweighted rod is the same minus the swivel and sinker. The sinker size Varys depending on current, live bait size etc, but as small as possible is my general goal. It’s abit of trial and error but if you have spots In the hacking I can tell you what I prefer to use. everyone has their own way of catching fish and my preferred way may not be your preferred way to catch fish.

It’s also best to have the livie just off the bottom (4-6 reel winds) so it doesn't hide in weed on the bottom. You can clip the tail of yakka to make them swim harder to move.

Free swimming is effective too just don’t have multiple lines out or an anchor as you’ll get tangled real quick. 

Basically just be ready to be swapped with different rigs as you’ll generally see where there sitting on the sounder and you can change both rods to fish where they are feeding. Without a sounder just use 1 of the rods and fish different depths till you find one that produces.

From the land I use 1 rod float, one rod free weight or a free weight live squid

Wow, didn't expect such a great response! Definitely learned a bit from that.

Cheers 

• Like 1