Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep water up from Lilli Pilli. A bit quiet at first, then a few small reddies and tailor started biting. Burley used was cooked prawn shells and heads, which seemed to bring them on.

Managed to pull out the 2 legal reddies, and the tailor on fish strips and squid strips, same with the flounder.

Hooked up to a kingie, about 55, on a handline, while that was fighting about, the cork handline started bouncing around the boat so just let it run. Another kingie which took off a fair bit of line before I could grab that line, this one in the low 60's.

The 3rd handline had a run but only a small reddie. As I pulled that in, half a dozen kingies swam behind it. The hook was baited, I had enough fish so I threw the unbaited hook out with the line so as to avoid a tangle  (I had a couple of tangles on the handlines earlier on, too hard to untangle so just cut the line - do not need therapy untangling line  :1onono:)

As I was winding up the line with the baitless hook, a kingie grabbed it and off it went. Some time to pull it up, at 64.5cm. 😝I threw out the baitless hook and line to wind up again, another kingie grabbed the hook but did not stay on for too long. Appears they were hungry as they were swimming about eating the scraps I threw over.

I also pulled up 2 jewies, but they were so small, they were still wearing nappies. 🤣 The kingies were caught on 12 pound mono handlines.

fish.jpeg.344_files_files.jpg

• Like 11

And here i was thinking you'd sunk in your boat as I hadn't heard from  you in a while and I'd be in with a chance.😂😂Let me know when you upgrade to catching fish with a piece of bare cotton tied around your little toe then I'll be impressed.

Great report and capture as usual young man.Well done!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Sounds like a busy morning Yowie...your usual suspects for dinner:0

Did you have a crack at any whiting on the flats?

It was a busy morning for a change. No fish jumping where I was. 

Did not try for any whiting as I had enough fish for a couple of feeds.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

good stuff, knew you'd be onto something with you jumping from the front to back of the boat constantly haha 

That's the trouble with more than one line out, having fish grab the lines, especially kingies as they don't pull up straight away on a 12 pound handline, and they swim all around the boat.

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

looks like a great feed you have there 

Thank you.

50 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

And here i was thinking you'd sunk in your boat as I hadn't heard from  you in a while and I'd be in with a chance.😂😂Let me know when you upgrade to catching fish with a piece of bare cotton tied around your little toe then I'll be impressed.

Great report and capture as usual young man.Well done!

Thank you, happy with the fish caught.

I did not post last week as only pulled up 3 fish over the sand flats, and dropped twice that number when the hooks kept on pulling out. Bream and whiting they were.

15 minutes ago, Scooter0069 said:

Great report as always and a nice feed of fish as well sounds like a great day on the water

A few feeds, and entertainment from the kingies.

9 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nit of a fun tussle with the kings on the handline and a nice feed. Probably that cruiser that @Restyle mentioned that was too close to you that scared the bigger kings away🤣. Well done nonetheless.

Thank you. Not that big a cruiser, I could have wrestled it away if it came any closer. 🤣

Some of the kings swimming under the boat looked close to legal.

• Haha 1

Good to hear of someone still using handlines. I grew up using them.  Still use them occasionally and I love the sound of a spinning reel as a fish takes off with your bait!

Those tangles can be a pain, as well as the line burns when you get something bigger, but all part of the fun.

Great mixed bag of fish.

Cheers

Fil

4 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Good to hear of someone still using handlines. I grew up using them.  Still use them occasionally and I love the sound of a spinning reel as a fish takes off with your bait!

Those tangles can be a pain, as well as the line burns when you get something bigger, but all part of the fun.

Great mixed bag of fish.

Cheers

Fil

Thank you. Tangles are the worst thing with handlines. Some easy to get out, but yesterday as I was lifting a tailor on board, the fish was kicking, the line slipped a little in my hand and his tail flipped the line up and over his mouth, and around the hook sticking out of his mouth. Only thing to do was cut it off. 🤪

8 hours ago, Larkin said:

A couple of nice pannies there! They always seem to find your hooks.

Shame no keeper kings - esp after all that effort. Bit of fun though.

Nothing wrong with a couple of pannies, and I don't mind tailor fillets either. The kings are fun on a handline.