First ever legal king

joshGTV

Mate and I hit the ramp at Bayview this morning at about 8am. Headed to West Head for yakkas but they didn't seem to want to play along. Ended up with four, incidentally all some of the smallest yakkas I've ever seen. Then headed to troll around Barrenjoey. Shortly after we started my mate's hard body Rapala was hit - a few minutes later he had a nice bonnie on board. My livie was hit shortly afterwards - pulled up a rat king about 40cm. Kept trolling and my next livie was hit as well - I could feel immediately that this was a more serious fish. Five minutes later I had a 68cm king in the boat. I've been chasing kings on and off for 25 years and have caught plenty - but only ever around 5cm too small to keep. So this was one of the most satisfying fish I've ever caught. We then pulled up another undersize rat and decided to call it a day as the swell and the wind were picking up. Can't wait to get out after kings again.

20220214_113629.jpg

• Like 13

Way to go Josh - my favourite species to target - Don’t they go hard??
keep trying mate and your sure to land a big one. One suggestion - try trolling off the front of Barrenjoey, I’ve caught some big Kingies (1m plus) off the front, but watch the swell. Also caught plenty of little ones.

With Yakkas at West head, my go to Yakka outfit is a 6lb handline, with a 8 or 10 “mosquito” hook, with the tiniest bit of squid you can get on the hook and berley up with bread. If your fishing small and light and still not getting them, they are probably playing “hard to get”, which is blinking annoying.

9 hours ago, motiondave said:

Awesome stuff. I hope to head that way on Thursday.

By the way....how much are they charging for parking at Bayview? Last I saw it was $25 or so during summer 😐

My mate sorted out the parking, I think he said it cost $27.