Newcastle harbour + first fish on lure

BigHorse

G'day Fishraiders, been a while since ive been on this and reported anything but today i went out with my friend to the Newcastle harbour for a fish. 

Gear: Shimano sedona 2500, shimano flathead spin with 6lb braid

Lures: Zman 2.5 inch slim swim bloodworm color

Tides and weather: Low tide rising and overcast, 

techniques: slow rolls

Report:

So we went out at 1 at low tide along the breakwall harbour side. After crawling down the rockwall we got down to a little ledge we could cast off. After getting a couple good hits but not hooking up after 20 minutes i finally hooked up. Tightening the drag worrying about it snapping me off i rangled it in after making my mate get his shoes wet to help land it. after getting a measure and a quick photo i released him. after not getting much for the next bit, we moved up the wall and ended up on the beach. we had a quick flick off a sand bank into the deeper water but the surf was to big. We went back into the harbour and went back onto horseshoe beach were i got a nice flattie, but of course the fishing gods didnt want me to catch it and he spat the hook when he was beached and then out of nowhere a wave came in to grab the flattie back off me and off into the harbour. and after a couple more casts i headed back to the carpark to pack up! thank for reading!👍

9959EB9F-4FB8-4CF8-B879-7C70D5D55806_1_105_c.jpeg

4CCB6911-A415-4BB0-980E-D2BF9FA66A4A_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by BigHorse
  • Like 9

Mate if that's your first fish on a lure, I can't wait to see what you will be catching in a few years!

Bream at that size put up quite a fight on 6lb, you did well to land it in such a rocky environment. Evidently you stayed right on top of his lunges and runs and steered him out of trouble. Well done!

Shame about the flatty. There will be many more to come.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Thanks 1