Port hacking - itching for a fish

Restyle

Gday, headed out to the hacking today to see what’s around, was going to go with a mate, but he slept in so I went by myself. Had the kayak in the drink at yowie by 5;30 and made quick work heading over to lilli pilli by 5;50. Wasn’t expecting much but I was itching for a fish.
The First few fish were a couple small pinkies followed by large school of yakkas and slimes. There were some good sized yakkas and slimes in the school so I kept a few for cut bait. Threw a couple out live for nothing. Fish of the day was a 35 odd cm gurnard, my first one ever on the kayak and a new species ticked of the list on the kayak so I’m happy about that.
Weather was nice, clear and very calm. A rather eerie fog moved over as the sun rose but other than that not as much debris as I expected, just filthy water and the occasional stick floating by.
Overall a enjoyable day with a few legal or just under pinkies and the gurnard.  sounder was mostly empty of activity, had the occasional fish bust up but nothing compared to what lilli pilli can be, I expected it to be slow and was happy to be out after the last couple weeks of bad weather.

201EBABF-D064-4BD4-A6C1-BF1437E21B6F.jpeg

F51B34C7-93CE-4854-8E54-0B8C220FF372.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Can't complain about getting out for a fish. Well done mate.

Always refreshing, especially after extended times being off the water from heavy rain and wind

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Just have to work out where the bones are during filleting. I also remove the skin.

Might try the next one I get, after a quick search they look like a decent fish to eat and they do hold abit of meat on them.

39 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Good on you for getting out there mate.

Cheers mate, I think it’s time for you to head out and feed some pinkies, not many around but we all know you’ll have every single one in the hacking below your boat 

• Haha 1