Gunnamatta Bay

Yowie

I was heading south in my van, but that has been delayed, so I headed out early to Gunnamatta Bay. May as well wet a line rather than be sitting at home.

Fished on the edge of the sandbank into the deeper water. Pulled up several yakkas and cut them into strip baits, which produced a few fish. The water colour is tea tree brown like a fresh water river, so that I could see down a couple of feet, so further up river will be a solid brown colour.

I pulled out 2 tailor, mid 30's, a salmon near 50cm and dropped another at the boat, and 3 kingies, the biggest nearing 60cm. Most fish on the handline, with one of the kingies burning a cut through a finger. 

I let the baits drop to the bottom, but nothing there. A couple of tailor better than nothing. Did not bother with a photo.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I was heading south in my van, but that has been delayed, so I headed out early to Gunnamatta Bay. May as well wet a line rather than be sitting at home.

Fished on the edge of the sandbank into the deeper water. Pulled up several yakkas and cut them into strip baits, which produced a few fish. The water colour is tea tree brown like a fresh water river, so that I could see down a couple of feet, so further up river will be a solid brown colour.

I pulled out 2 tailor, mid 30's, a salmon near 50cm and dropped another at the boat, and 3 kingies, the biggest nearing 60cm. Most fish on the handline, with one of the kingies burning a cut through a finger. 

I let the baits drop to the bottom, but nothing there. A couple of tailor better than nothing. Did not bother with a photo.

Pretty good effort despite the murky water, about the same clarity as up lilli pilli, the larger high incoming tide prop alt helped clear the water abit 

I was thinking about fishing the drop offs in-front of Lugano st pwc ramp but dicided not to

2 hours ago, Restyle said:

Pretty good effort despite the murky water, about the same clarity as up lilli pilli, the larger high incoming tide prop alt helped clear the water abit 

I was thinking about fishing the drop offs in-front of Lugano st pwc ramp but dicided not to

I was going to try further up, but thought Gunnamatta would be a little bit clearer. Some fun with the kingies and salmon, but a 1cm cut through the index finger from a kingie. A short time later, a salmon run the line through the same cut. I let the line go, but the salmon was still hooked up, so had to take a bit longer to get him in.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

My boat will probably forget how to float at this rate! Glad you got your fix and some fillets!

Some fillets, and some fun from the others. The line cutting into a finger certainly makes you wake up. 😂

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good effort as usual mate.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

My boat will probably forget how to float at this rate! Glad you got your fix and some fillets!

Mines been stuck to the trailer since before Covid.Good thing with the high fuel prices that tank of fuel is lasting me ages.🤣😂

30 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I was going to try further up, but thought Gunnamatta would be a little bit clearer. Some fun with the kingies and salmon, but a 1cm cut through the index finger from a kingie. A short time later, a salmon run the line through the same cut. I let the line go, but the salmon was still hooked up, so had to take a bit longer to get him in.

On your way down the coast pass by my place.

I have a few bags of rapid set so we don't have to hear you whinge about a nick on the finger ever again.

While your at it I have some really heavy chain that I'd like you to wrap around yourself and jump off your boat Into the middle of the port to test if it sinks ok.

I'm hoping after thay their will be some fish left for me.😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Good effort as usual mate.

On your way down the coast pass by my place.

I have a few bags of rapid set so we don't have to hear you whinge about a nick on the finger ever again.

While your at it I have some really heavy chain that I'd like you to wrap around yourself and jump off your boat Into the middle of the port to test if it sinks ok.

I'm hoping after thay their will be some fish left for me.😂

Just for that, I will catch every legal fish in the Hacking and leave you NONE.  :074::074::074:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Well done on a hand line.

Thank you. Hand lining is different, especially when a couple of the fish swam around the anchor rope, and there is line from the back to the front of the boat.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Like a paper cut on steroids!

still sounds like a good day out to me, with a couple of tailor taken for the plate.

Thank you, happy with something.

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Dave - tailor always seem to oblige irrespective of water quality (I’m itching to get out, but flooded in for the past week😞)

Thanks Bob.  

How much water did you receive? You should be O.K. at your house, but maybe not around you.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, Yowie said:

Thanks Bob.  

How much water did you receive? You should be O.K. at your house, but maybe not around you.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, Yowie said:

Thanks Bob.  

My drive to back paddock