Foster fishing report

The Rev

Hi fellow Raiders,

After a long two years of navigating COVID-19 at work that included three lockdowns on the northern beaches, finally the three week holiday. This was the first week of the three which was with my 25y.o.  son. I planned it for this time of the year with no school holidays and hopefully warm water and great fishing. Unfortunately the weather had other ideas with the rain and massive seas. (I am not complaining though. I keep thinking of all the people who have been flooded and lost homes and  businesses as well as those over in the Ukraine with the war and I feel very blessed in comparison as we had a great break).

We arrived on Saturday 26 February at Seal Rocks hoping to fish there and at Foster this past week. Unfortunately the weather had other ideas. Of the seven days up there we managed two days on the water, and we’re restricted to fishing Wallace lake in fairly ordinary conditions. First fish was Sunday, 27 February for a Softplastics session in the afternoon chasing Flathead. PLots of weed and fresh water in the lake plus unfamiliar territory resulted in not one hook up. 

We spent the next four days mainly inside escaping the rain watching some TV, playing board games and reliving my sons childhood by building a 4000 piece Lego car together! (LandRover Discovery) 🚘 Given the weather forecast I thought I had to pack something to keep us off screens and having fun!

Last full day of this part of the holiday was on Friday and it was stunning with the sun finally coming out! We headed off to fish the lake on the incoming tide with clean water coming in through the Wallis lake Channel. We managed to catch 12 livies in half an hour under the Foster bridge and went to the breakwall in search of the elusive jewfish which are often caught there. Unfortunately no takers this time so we came back inside in the channel and drifting a live bait and caught a 44cm Flathead. That was the only bite of the week but at least we took home a small feed. 

Today I have just arrived at Port Stephens staying at Hawkes Nest, having driven my son home to Sydney yesterday and picked up wife and driven back up the coast today. I never even unhooked the boat, just left it hooked up overnight. We will be here for 11 odd days and hopefully the fishing will better! So good to be up here after two long years of managing our response to COVID at the church I lead. I will keep you posted of any fishing success 

The Rev

AC45C376-D663-4B75-AAD9-7668E5232462.jpeg

Edited by The Rev
  • Like 15

Any day on the water beats a day on land, glad you were able to pull up something, weather looks pretty decent Thursday onward so you’d have some good time out, hopefully the wind holds back, rains not too bad if it isn’t pelting. good luck with your next 11 days 

• Like 1

This reads just like the "holiday" we just had. Dragged the boat up to an expensive holiday house at Pacific Palms and watched it sit in the driveway for the whole week! Rain was relentless. Managed one day on the same Friday as you out on Wallis Lake at Forster and only got one good sized bream from the chocolate coloured water, which was strewn with tree branches and other debris. Usually the water is crystal clear there and you can see the bottom of the lake. Used all sorts of HB lures and plastics but not one take. The few bream we got were all caught on squid. Oh well, sure beats being flooded out or bombed!

I like the way you pick the positives out of what is potentially a desperate situation Bruce. Patiently waiting all that time, helping others, sacrificing your own needs, and eventually the opportunity presents. You made the best of a poor situation and had the chance to bond with your son. I can only hope that you have a good time with your wife as you spend a bit of time free from other concerns. I hope the fishing improves a bit for you, it's your passion, and obviously serves you well as you serve others' needs. Good luck. bn

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:25 AM, big Neil said:

I like the way you pick the positives out of what is potentially a desperate situation Bruce. Patiently waiting all that time, helping others, sacrificing your own needs, and eventually the opportunity presents. You made the best of a poor situation and had the chance to bond with your son. I can only hope that you have a good time with your wife as you spend a bit of time free from other concerns. I hope the fishing improves a bit for you, it's your passion, and obviously serves you well as you serve others' needs. Good luck. bn

Thanks Big Neil - unfortunately the fishing conditions haven’t imporoved much here in Port Stephens but God is in control and next time I am sure it will be better. The water has gotten increasingly brown in colour as the run out of the rain from the rivers affects the bay.  But still having a restful time with my wife 😍.  Am about to post about yesterdays trip - I did manage one good fish! Cheers, The Rev

On 3/10/2022 at 8:06 PM, Pickles said:

That’s a lot of driving Bruce - always worth it for family, hope the fishing picks up brother.

Thanks Bob - still having a good time but as you will see in my report I am about to write - fishing not still not so great!