Bennett’s Beach (Hawkes Nest) - Back to my roots with big bream and flathead

The Rev

Hi Raiders,  

After a number of enjoyable, but relatively lean trips onto Port Stephens out of the boat on the second log of my holidays, I decided to change things up for my next day of fishing here on Sunday (13th March) and try the beach. My passion for fishing first started when i was 10 years old when on a Saturday afternoon, my family went to Long Reef beach in Sydney, and I was allowed to take my fishing rod along.  That day, the lagoon was overflowing and anchovies were flooding out and over a sand bank into the surf and i used some for bait. In two casts I hooked a 35-40cm bream that I lost at the very end and next cast a massive flathead about 60cm in length that I landed and took back up the beach to show my family and we ate that night for dinner! As I set out today, who would have thought that I would replicate that catch!

So… After talking to some of the locals after church on Sunday morning, they all said to try the beach as most people were catching fish there after the rains, with the Myall and Karuah rivers in shut down mode.  With a 6:40pm high tide, I pumped yabbies at a local sand flat on the low tide and then got my gear ready watching the Waratahs Super Rugby game. Thankfully they won 🙂 

At 5pm I headed down ( 3 streets away) to Bennett’s beach and walked about 100M south from the surf club and setup my gear.

First cast with a yabby and I got a bite but no hook up.  On my fourth cast and bait, I had a nibble followed by a massive hit that took line. I’m on - such a good feeling.  After a steady fight, I pulled up the beach a 37cm bream. Very happy with that - he looked fantastic and was put into the bucket to take home for a meal. Memories of my childhood on Long Reef beach came back - this one didn’t get away!

Things then went quiet for a bit with occasional hits and lost baits, so I switched over to some fresh mullet that I bought from the Fish Co-op.  While slowly winding in the bait on my second cast, I got a massive hit very close to the beach break and the rod loaded up again. After a tense fight trying to get the fish through the beach breakers, up came a very big flathead. As I was only running 15lb leader, I gently coaxed the fish with each wave further up the beach. As I got the fish just out of the wave zone it managed to break the line through its constant head shakes sawing the line in two. So with a sense of urgency I grabbed it’s tailed and yanked it up to safety!

This fish looked big and when I measured it later, it went 60cm! I couldn’t believe it as it was like that day at Long Reef some 47 years ago, only both fish landed this time!

After more casts, I also caught in the session a 26cm bream, and two tailor (25cm & 32cm) that were retuned to live another day. All in all a great 90 minute session..

The Rev

5BC7FE8C-E1C8-48A2-8996-D45A3801B7A2.jpeg

EEDF610B-1FF3-4E76-AB26-EE72F8453CCF.jpeg

• Like 13

Some great fish there Rev and I love the return to your childhood start in fishing.

Ironic after several average trips in the boat that your best session is off the beach. Persistence and maybe a few prayers paid off.

Fil

2 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Some great fish there Rev and I love the return to your childhood start in fishing.

Ironic after several average trips in the boat that your best session is off the beach. Persistence and maybe a few prayers paid off.

Fil

Thanks Fil 🙂 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Well done Rev! The smile says it all. We sometimes get so focused on targeting fish, (boat based)  we often forget how much fun getting back to basics is! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

I had a ball - though I can’t wait to get out in the boat tomorrow. My wife had given me the leave pass for the day as she is busy with an online study course! 😍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Rev said:

I had a ball - though I can’t wait to get out in the boat tomorrow. My wife had given me the leave pass for the day as she is busy with an online study course! 😍

Just be cautious if your venturing outside. A bit of wind and swell forecast for tomorrow! 

37 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Just be cautious if your venturing outside. A bit of wind and swell forecast for tomorrow! 

Will do Scratchie - if the swell is to big and the wind is up we will stay inside and see what we can find 👍