Port hacking 18/03

Restyle

Headed off to lilli pilli this morning to drop some baits down in the kayak, dropped the kayak in at Wally’s at 5.30am and made quick work heading over to lilli pilli with a 1.8m incoming tide boosting me - top speed of 10.3km/hr which is a new speed record on the hobie. 
Was abit quite to begin with, but after 30 odd minutes a surprise school of Watson’s bonito came to play, pulled 3 out on half Pillies, only kept 1 for salted bait. As quick as they came they moved on. but my wish for some inside bonito action has been heard! Not long later I pull up a 36cm bream from the bottom which also surprised me as the lack of pinkies made baits last on the bottom for a long time. Fab must of been out & had all the pinkies below his Tinny.

as 7.30 rolls around large schools of XL slimys turn up and just as big yakkas, great fun on the light gear, dropped many slimys boat side but I didn’t mind. With some live bait in the tank I dropped my first livie down, it died so I dropped another down for nothing, 

Plenty of kings about with quite a few chewing at my bag burley, and anything dropped in, but anything with a hook in it they wouldn’t touch, no amount of squeezing and whacking the bag full with half a kilo of tailor guts and a few pilchards to release more burley and also dropping a large array of baits from squid heads, squid tentacles, strips, slimy fillets, yakka fillets, live yakkas, pilchards, tailor guts or a empty hook would get them to bite. It was fun though watching them come up have a look and swim away. Quite a few solid fish mixed in with a few just over legal.

no matter what I did from retrieving the bait, letting it drift, different bait and hook sizes and even dropping the leader to 6lb for a laugh didn’t get them biting. I also took the burley away completely for nothing. Oh well. Had a good day on the water, just getting out there is a blessing fish or no fish.

for those who’d like to know, the hacking is at 25c water temp and has cleared up alot with about 50cm visibility at lilli pilli on a 1.8 meter incoming tide 

4C148966-81EC-4DA4-BDA8-1893CE368BDA.jpeg

23C84E2F-F5CE-4ABA-9ED1-EE628B57A9A5.jpeg

C1E380D7-FC6A-42F6-87D5-14BDB8310440.jpeg

• Like 12

Nice bream and bonnie.

When kingies are in numbers and won't take a bait, sometimes I have had success by hooking up a not-too-large strip of bait, covering the hook and bouncing the bait on the surface. Does not always work but occasionally the kingies will be stirred up and grab the bait from the surface and hook up. Be prepared for a fast get-away by the kingie.

2 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice bream and bonnie.

When kingies are in numbers and won't take a bait, sometimes I have had success by hooking up a not-too-large strip of bait, covering the hook and bouncing the bait on the surface. Does not always work but occasionally the kingies will be stirred up and grab the bait from the surface and hook up. Be prepared for a fast get-away by the kingie.

cheers mate, I was doing that with a squid head, hook and abit of line covered up, bouncing around. Brought them in, no hookup. 
technique dose work as I’ve done plenty of kings like that but not today,

Good bream and bonnie, and the little pinkies left you alone. I find often that you can't escape them in deep water spots.

Even though I'm stuck at home typing a paper for uni for the next week or two, I'm hoping the water clears up and stays clear for everyone. Not hopeful though, with the latest rain...

13 hours ago, Larkin said:

Haha, you must be psychic!!  Nice watsons 👍 

those large slimies are always good fun, esp trying to get them unhooked & into the live bait tank 😜 

yup they're ether deep hooked or barely hooked and pop off boat side, even caught one on a 6/0 

4 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good bream and bonnie, and the little pinkies left you alone. I find often that you can't escape them in deep water spots.

Even though I'm stuck at home typing a paper for uni for the next week or two, I'm hoping the water clears up and stays clear for everyone. Not hopeful though, with the latest rain...

Cheer mate, with more rain around it looks like the waters going to remaining tea coloured for awhile longer not too ideal  but rain is always welcomed. 

4 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

That,s two nice fish there well done

thanks mate, saved the day, plenty of action just no kings 

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Great post Restyle!

those kings must have frustrated you big time but nice breambo for the table👌

not really to be honest, already had a pretty action packed day with bonnies and xl slimies on light gear. wouldve been a bonus if i landed a couple kings though.