Targeting Kingies again - follow up day

Pickles

Buddy Aidan (student from a few years ago) and I had the three previous trips postponed due to crook weather, but he was desperate to get out on to some Kingies and after Tuesdays blinder of several fish in the high 80’s and total of 21 boated and smoked by something BIG - twice, he was keen as. @Roseville21 was going to join us, but when I mentioned a coastal wind warning, seas to 2m and wind 25knt +, he wisely decided not to join us, but Aidan was desperate and wouldn’t be deterred. As it was he didn’t turn up to pick me up until 5.30 - “big night the day before and didn’t hear the alarm” (young blokes nowadays 🤨). 

When we launched at Roseville, it was already windy, even though report was for conditions to start going south at around 10 am. We poked our nose around Nth Head after filling up with Yakkas (didn’t even try for squid) and the southerly was strong, but wind slop and swell necessitated turning back - very unpleasant, so we spent the day poking around some of my favourite haunts in Sydney harbour. It wasn’t a wasted day as we boated 4 school soapie jewfish (all in the 40-60cm class) all released a few nice bream and a 55cm flathead and 2 kingfish, so Aidan went home with a feed and it cost a lot less than expected to refuel the tinnie with prices nuts at the moment.

I was reminded to trust the weather prediction, even if the timing was wrong, it was certainly not a “pleasant” weather event - always good catching up with mates in Gods great outdoors.

The weather looks crook for the next week, so I’ll be training my Lab, refining her retrieving skills - got a few competition trials coming up, so we can both do with the practice.

9A06E5BD-4448-4C83-93CD-36CEE21AC48D.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 13

Well done Bob and Aidan for making the effort (albeit a late start one). Those soapie Jewies are a lovely looking fish. Always good to get a feed of saltwater species. No doubt you'll kill 'em next time you can get out. Good luck with the dog trials too Bob. bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well done Bob and Aidan for making the effort (albeit a late start one). Those soapie Jewies are a lovely looking fish. Always good to get a feed of saltwater species. No doubt you'll kill 'em next time you can get out. Good luck with the dog trials too Bob. bn

Cheers Neil, Rosie doing what she loves - retrieving. Looking forward to catching up soon.

80E09FEC-4567-46A5-A794-7D69B5C17EA9.jpeg

2BF13128-B75B-418A-AA3C-C5ED179ECFBE.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

Good stuff though, even for a "late" start.

5:30am hey.... hehehe.... anything before 7:30am wake up for me is painful due to my work hours. 

Cost of petrol, no one wants to really know about that. We are all budgeting to allow for trips out. 

And yes, the weather.

Whether or not sometimes. 

Soo right Dave, fuel is dear as.  Even though my outboard is pretty fuel efficient (Merc 90), but with bait, ice, fuel, eats, it all ads up. One session a week, pretty much keeps us in food with the veggie patch also. But with the floods and no fishing, I’m getting sick of chokos and zucchini.

5 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Again Pickles!!! Is their anything you can't target with fellow fishos? Well done mate.

Haven’t had a session on Hairtail for many years Isaac, might give them a try this winter - I’ll have to get a master als from Donna and Stewy.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, Yowie said:

Good work again Bob.

The dearest fill for my landcruiser while in Victoria - $246- of diesel. :blink:  The tank was getting low.

Good work again Bob.

The dearest fill for my landcruiser while in Victoria - $246- of diesel. :blink:  The tank was getting low.

Ouch

Good work again Bob.

Oh boy the trips are getting very expensive. We can't afford to do any big trips towing a large caravan till the fuel costs go down!

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Oh boy the trips are getting very expensive. We can't afford to do any big trips towing a large caravan till the fuel costs go down!

Very expensive to tow a van at present, so we might limit longer trips for a while as well.

Diesel price is high everywhere, between $2.15 and $2.30 a litre, mostly at the higher end. At Metung, east of Bairnsdale, $2.50 per litre.

• Sad 1