Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning and tried up from Lilli Pilli. The current was raging along, have not seen it like this for many years. So much rain of recent times that the ground is saturated and all water is running off. Water colour very murky brown, with grass, weeds, sticks, small logs floating along. Some of the grass floating along in bunches is the freshwater type found above Audley Weir, so It shows how strong the run-off is.

Gave that a miss and headed up to South West Arm, less current and water slightly clearer. Caught one yakka, cut it into strips, and NOTHING, no bites. I was heading out of the Arm when I saw a couple of fish splashing. Motored over and lobbed out a small metal for the 2 Watsons bonnies, but they did not stay around too long.

Headed back around Lilli Pilli, the current still roaring along, so I headed up Yowie Bay. Anchored and burleyed, and eventually a few fish turned up. One just legal reddie, a few just under, and the tailor. Dropped several tailor boatside, the hooks just kept coming out, and the last one was a bite-off, looked about 50cm long when it jumped near the boat.

I cut up a bonnie fillet which produced the bites. The other bonnie fillets to be salted for bait, and some fillets for the table. Better than sitting at home, though when the rain fell, it was torrential, and the wind kept changing direction and speeds.

fish.jpeg.346_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Nice report and well done on getting some nice fish 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, hookerbruce said:

I knew it wouldn't take you long to have a fish. Last Tuesday the water in the Port was starting to clear up a bit. Good to see you got a feed.  I might give it a rest till weds.

Had to give it a go. Audley Weir has overflowed again and plenty of water flowing over, with rain predicted all week, and a big southerly punch on Thursday.

My mate on North West Arm fished off his pontoon last week and pulled up 2 bream, 33 and 40cm, and lost a bigger one that wrapped him around the neighbour's mooring pole.

53 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great haul again.

Well done.

Rain will go. Sometime in the future.

Cheers.

Thank you. Forecast for showers all week.

30 minutes ago, Tunastrike11 said:

Seems to be alot more of those Whatson bonito around then in past years.

They go quiet for a while, then turn up in numbers again, and are not put off by the murky water.

I thought about fishing today.After a split second i thought I'll leave the fish for Yowie for a little while longer and rolled over until I got woken up early in the morning at 2pm.Well done!!.

8 minutes ago, motiondave said:

awesome stuff, even thought the water still brown, you still got a few fish.

Some fish there, and they have to eat. Just a matter of finding them.

4 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I thought about fishing today.After a split second i thought I'll leave the fish for Yowie for a little while longer and rolled over until I got woken up early in the morning at 2pm.Well done!!.

Thank you. I saw another boat out there, thought maybe you, then another thought - too early for Fab. 😂

20 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Some fish there, and they have to eat. Just a matter of finding them.

Thank you. I saw another boat out there, thought maybe you, then another thought - too early for Fab. 😂

You will never see me out in this crap mate.Hats off to all you guys getting out there That's the only good thing about this crappy weather....less boats.

Back on the scoreboard! Nice catch.

quite a few of those watsons bonnies up and down the hacking atm - Seen quite a few being caught. Large schools of yakkas and some really big kings about too.

40 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Back on the scoreboard! Nice catch.

quite a few of those watsons bonnies up and down the hacking atm - Seen quite a few being caught. Large schools of yakkas and some really big kings about too.

Thank you. Happy to be out again.

As I said to Tunastrike, the Watsons Bonnies are quiet some years, then re-appear in numbers.

Good one Dave, those Bonnie’s are great fun, not sure the Watson’s fight any harder, but sure pull hard on light gear and move faaaaast. A good feed there mate (don’t melt in the rain, so may as well go fishing)

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Good one Dave, those Bonnie’s are great fun, not sure the Watson’s fight any harder, but sure pull hard on light gear and move faaaaast. A good feed there mate (don’t melt in the rain, so may as well go fishing)

Thanks Bob. 

Yes, don't melt in the rain, but my sou-wester rain gear is leaking from old age. 

Both of the bonnies fought, but I think the standard bonnies pull a little harder.

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

I'm thinking of heading out for a fish soon but the opportunities have been scarce. Well done Yowie, bit of a feed.

The water is murky and full of floating rubbish. There are fish around, just have to find them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Good you got out there to give us something to read Yowie!

Could be back to the drawing board waiting for the latest runoff to clear a bit!!

Had to get out and do something.

I'm guessing it will be a few more weeks until the water clears again.