Nobbys beach tailor

BigHorse

My mate an i decided after school to head over to one of newcastle best swimming beach and go for a beach fish for some tailor. after remembering that you can get beach worms down there, i grabbed a bag of pillies to try. i had never been worming and it was extremely fun but painful. it was easy to find the worms but incredibly hard to get then in between my pliers or fingers. After becoming wet and tired we gave up and moved further along the beach where 2 other anglers were fishing a nice hole along the beach. it took a little over 30 min for me took hook up with a nice tailor goin 34cm. this was caught with a salted yakka fillet. my mate caught 2 other small ones on a 15g metal. after getting the call that mum was waiting up the road so we headed up to end the sesh. thanks for reading.

Tides: ringin tide

swell/water colour: 2-3ft swell with a slightly discolored water and overcast

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGilDakv_p-vXYr9uPD_dvA - this bloke has some great video on worming, estuary ludrick and ludrick off the rocks, i recommend highly

A549E343-077B-4007-99C7-4D4EC0B385BF_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice Tailor mate, I have tried worming once and never have had the dedication and patience to do it again.

Thanks mate, i can't be beaten by those worms so next time the swell's down and the tides low im gonna have to head back out again!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Thanks mate, i can't be beaten by those worms so next time the swell's down and the tides low im gonna have to head back out again!

Check out this video for tips on worming. It took me 2 goes to get any and I sometimes still shoot blanks but this guide helped me out no end: 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mjbsyd said:

Check out this video for tips on worming. It took me 2 goes to get any and I sometimes still shoot blanks but this guide helped me out no end: 

exactly this bloke is the best, his quality of video is awesome and the information is top notch!

3 minutes ago, BigHorse said:

exactly this bloke is the best, his quality of video is awesome and the information is top notch!

I ran into him down the beach one day and I have to say he's an absolute gentleman as well.

• Like 1

Mr Fisherlady and I have had two good attempts at getting beach worms, but so far we've come up donuts. On our second attempt, one very kind passerby who was jogging the beach on the way to meet his wife, stopped to give us some pointers, and pulled up a ripper worm in the short time he had, that went on to land us some nice fish. 

We've found one spot on the Northern beaches where they are hanging out, but it is probably not the greatest spot as it drops off more than we would like, even at low tide.

Our attempts are more like an opportunity to get drenched prior to heading off fishing with other bait. We've watched a few video's, and will watch the one above thank you @mjbsyd.  

We are not ready to give up yet. Mr Fisherlady managed to get his fingers on one during our second attempt, so I count that as progress. 😅 

@BigHorse Thank you for the fishing report. Are you after the tailor for bait, or eating? Hubby caught one recently, but we used it as bait. I am just wondering how tailor go as an eating fish... Well, I'm looking forward to your next fishing report.

Cheers

FL

1 minute ago, Fisherlady said:

Mr Fisherlady and I have had two good attempts at getting beach worms, but so far we've come up donuts. On our second attempt, one very kind passerby who was jogging the beach on the way to meet his wife, stopped to give us some pointers, and pulled up a ripper worm in the short time he had, that went on to land us some nice fish. 

We've found one spot on the Northern beaches where they are hanging out, but it is probably not the greatest spot as it drops off more than we would like, even at low tide.

Our attempts are more like an opportunity to get drenched prior to heading off fishing with other bait. We've watched a few video's, and will watch the one above thank you @mjbsyd.  

We are not ready to give up yet. Mr Fisherlady managed to get his fingers on one during our second attempt, so I count that as progress. 😅 

@BigHorse Thank you for the fishing report. Are you after the tailor for bait, or eating? Hubby caught one recently, but we used it as bait. I am just wondering how tailor go as an eating fish... Well, I'm looking forward to your next fishing report.

Cheers

FL

Thank you @Fisherlady for your response, i have to admit it is incredibly hard and it is great to hear that someone stopped to help you. giving up is not something i plan to do with worming. 

For tailor i did keep one but that because all three trebles were in it's mouth an we thought it would be easier i kill it instead of ripping all the trebled though its mouth. im planning on cutting it up and using it for jew bait or something like that. i have heard that tailor is bad eating if you don't bleed it straight away, the fillets get bad. i've had it once and it wasn't bad though.

• Thanks 1

Tailor fillets are fairly good eating if fresh, within 2 days of capture.

Bleed the fish by breaking the neck and allow it to bleed out, then keep cool until cleaning time.

There are many tailor recipes to use. The smaller ones are better eating, 40cm or less, as the larger ones can have a strong fishy flavour, though various sauces and cooking methods will reduce this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Yowie. Appreciate the advice on the Tailor. Might try eating the next one if under 40cm and add some lemon juice to a marinade perhaps. I will look up and check minimum size if any. 😊

@BigHorse You are most welcome. As a Mum of two teens in high school, I love hearing that you are out and about fishing, and I also love seeing you interacting with society in a great way on raiders. Alas, despite my best efforts, mine are more intent on their PlayStations at this point in time. 😒

I'll be sure to take the advice of Yowie and yourself in relation to bleeding the fish. It is not something I have done yet, but I watched a You Tube video on it just recently. Not the nicest aspect of things, but better I learn to do it the most appropriate way. 

We've got no plans to give up on the worms just yet either. I'll be cheering you on for your next attempt. I'm looking forward to seeing more fishing reports from you, and also a post that shouts out - "I did it" in relation to catching your first worm. 

Edited by Fisherlady
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fisherlady said:

Thank you @Yowie. Appreciate the advice on the Tailor. Might try eating the next one if under 40cm and add some lemon juice to a marinade perhaps. I will look up and check minimum size if any. 😊

Tailor - 30cm minimum, bag limit of 10.

• Thanks 1