Pretty Good Friday - Back on the water after 2 months

jenno64

Yesterday I uncovered the boat for the first time since late January to find plenty of mould and water damage before taking it for a spin in the Hacking to see if everything worked!

Beautiful conditions and without any fishing gear I sussed out a few of my spots to see how the wet had affected them. The flats of Maianbar had plenty of weed and further up toward Grays Point I could barely see the bottom even in 2 feet of water. It was great to give the boat a spin for an hour in nice conditions and I had a plan for today.

I always try to get on the water for a fish on Good Friday and at dead low tide today I pumped some nippers my local sandbank and planned to launch about 3:30pm when the tide would be picking up. I also bought 200g of whitebait as back up for a deep water fish.  I wasn't confident about getting a few fish and had dinner planned already with some mussels I bought yesterday.

I launched  and headed up river, away from the debris and weed. I approached a flat I usually fish and drifted in without sighting the bottom but ran aground in the weed and was stuck for 45 minutes. Tried getting out and pushing but the bottom was quicksand and weed so I waited for the tide to come in a bit. I threw 2 lines out and just before the tide moved me off the weed I hooked a just legal whiting.

I fridted over the flats with the electric motor just in gear to keep me straight and hooked a couple more whiting, one going mid 30s. I motored back up to the top of the drift and picked up a nice bream, a few more whiting including a 42cm horse and a flatty in the mid 40s.

A couple more drifts and I was busted off twice with a couple of good runs, maybe long toms and picked up a couple more whiting. Last drift, both rods went off and 2 nice bream came up.

It was good session in a few hundred metres of water and I bolted home just before 6pm with a cracking full moon guiding past the floating logs and debris.

A good feed considering I had no more fillets in the freezer so tomorrow I'll clean them up and restock the freezer. Heading down to Tassie to pick up a campervan next week, I'll be taking a few lures and a travel rod to have a crack at the bream:)

Happy Easter Fishos!

Good Friday 2022 Catch.jpg

Good Friday Full Moon 22.jpg

• Like 12

On 4/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, Little_Flatty said:

That's an amazing bag of fish Rob. Well done!

Hoping to see a picture of a black bream next week! If you could catch one for me, I'd be most obliged :D 

I sure will if I get a chance to wet a line!

On 4/15/2022 at 11:08 PM, Larkin said:

Lucky the tide was coming in!

top feed there, well done Rob

Yep, I felt pretty silly once I realised I was bogged in weed and mud. Watched another boat going flat stick about 50m from me that came to an abrupt halt too. The young boys all jumped out and float their boat into the channel:) At least I relaxed for 45 minutes!

13 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

What a great variety of fish and the photo of the full moon is great.

Cheers, fishing always seems good when a big moon is about to rise!

12 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Nice report looks like some fine fish buy your photos 

Cheers

10 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Super photos.

Good haul.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

Well worth the effort, a nice bag of fish for a few feeds.

Must be a good feeling to be back on the water again.

It was Yowie, I didn't expect much at all after checking out the Maianbar flats the day before, weed and debris everywhere. A bit further up the river the flats didn't have as much crap floating around.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great work Rob - a nice mixed bag there, great way to spend Friday.

It was Bob, I always try to get on the water for Good Friday and it was an enjoyable couple of hours with fish as a bonus!

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Great results considering you wanted to basically go for a spin.

The spin was the day before when I was giving the boat a run, I was happy that she started and ran well so Friday was a for a quick fish!