Bate Bay

Yowie

I was thinking of heading up river for a drift with nippers, but changed my mind when the forecast predicted light winds and so headed out into Bate Bay before sunrise. Full moon up this morning. A light breeze, good for drifting and not a big swell.

The flatties were a bit patchy, and the size was small. Biggest at 40cm and some only just over the size. Not many spikies about, but kept a couple for bait which did the trick. A bonus of a flounder as well. Surface and bird action was quiet.

The blue spots were in water deeper than 120 feet, most around the 150 mark and some in water a bit deeper again. (only guessing as don't have a sounder on board) Looks like they are still in breeding mode.

The bream was caught prior to launch at my mother's place in Gunnamatta.

fish.jpeg.350_files_files.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Man thats a great effort well done flathead are top eating fish

Had some flattie fillets tonight, some more to go in a couple of nights.

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Another good haul.

Well done.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Restyle said:

nice bag there as always, very unusual of you to be out on a public holiday to.

Thank you.

Unable to head out during the week - dentist, doctor, camping show then southerly change and rain - so decided to go this morning.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Great work Dave - fish for Easter 👍👍

Thanks Bob, nice flattie fillets.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

You must he losing your mind mate fishing public holidays with the rest of the Muppets.Good catch!

Thank you Fab. Just had to go this morning or no other time. Surprising that not too many boats out for an easter weekend.

Great bag Yowie! I'll have to pick your brain about heading out into Bate Bay for the flatties, I haven't tried that tactic as yet. Good to se you brave a public holiday  while the weather is good!

I love the way you always pick off a bream at your mum's ramp, they must shudder when you come back in each trip:)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Scooter0069 said:

Nice bag of flatheads Yowie great eating fish I found them at the same depth Friday all so plenty of small ones

There are fish there, but not too many larger blue spots amongst them.

29 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Great bag Yowie! I'll have to pick your brain about heading out into Bate Bay for the flatties, I haven't tried that tactic as yet. Good to se you brave a public holiday  while the weather is good!

I love the way you always pick off a bream at your mum's ramp, they must shudder when you come back in each trip:)

The flatties can be scattered out there at times, some days just a matter of moving about until I hook up a few. The constant dirty water flowing out of the Hacking seems to have pushed them out a bit further.

This morning was the only chance this week, so I headed out. Not as many boats out as I thought there would be, even up river appeared to be a little quieter than usual.

Some of the bream I pick up before heading out, in the darkness of early morning.