Neutral Bay (BIG MULLET) - 5/1/22

Bluebenbomb

Went out to Neutral Bay for a quick session. Donutted the session with the exception of a chopper tailor on my trusty zx blade. I went down to the Neutral Bay Park (Anderson Park) and when I arrived, I saw a huge mullet in the 'canal'. I quickly grabbed the landing net, and managed to scoop it up. It looked like it was pregnant, but it was swimming on its sides, looking like it was sick or something. It went back into the water after a quick photo (53cm), but still, it was not swimming well (swimming on its side). When I finished the session, it was floating on its back, looking like it was dead.

Do other fellow raiders have experience of 'scooping' fish?

Also, if you were in my situation, would you humanely dispatch the fish, as it was going to suffer?

Any advice is helpful, thanks.

BBB

image.thumb.png.c8ac2fe25a2d967ca6c044cfce85759f.png

Edited by Little_Flatty
Converted HEIC to PNG
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Thankyou @Little_Flatty

No problems @Bluebenbomb. HEIC format doesn't appear to render as a picture up here.

I'm assuming that you took the photo on an iPhone or iPad? There's also a setting on the iPhone (Setting > Camera > Formats + choose 'Most compatible') which stores your pictures as JPEGs instead. I believe this makes image files larger however (on this front I'm no expert).

Personally I do most of my posts from a computer. In this case I take a screenshot (snipping tool for Windows or capture for Mac) and just paste the picture inline in the report body. Apart from being simple and making your pictures a lot smaller, this removes location information as well, which is most problematic if you take a picture of your catch at home (I'm less concerned about my fishing spots and as per my thread regarding fishing data, the location information is useful).

Other than changing the default format in your camera settings, I haven't yet thought of a solution for doing this from a phone or iPad though. When I get a free moment I'll experiment and see if I can find an easy way to get around this problem. Other than that @mrsswordfisherman do you have anything else to add?

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

No problems @Bluebenbomb. HEIC format doesn't appear to render as a picture up here.

I'm assuming that you took the photo on an iPhone or iPad? There's also a setting on the iPhone (Setting > Camera > Formats + choose 'Most compatible') which stores your pictures as JPEGs instead. I believe this makes image files larger however (on this front I'm no expert).

Personally I do most of my posts from a computer. In this case I take a screenshot (snipping tool for Windows or capture for Mac) and just paste the picture inline in the report body. Apart from being simple and making your pictures a lot smaller, this removes location information as well, which is most problematic if you take a picture of your catch at home (I'm less concerned about my fishing spots and as per my thread regarding fishing data, the location information is useful).

Other than changing the default format in your camera settings, I haven't yet thought of a solution for doing this from a phone or iPad though. When I get a free moment I'll experiment and see if I can find an easy way to get around this problem. Other than that @mrsswordfisherman do you have anything else to add?

Hmm good idea. I will 'capture' the airdropped picture onto my mac. I think that converts it into a png. Maybe that works for fishraider.  

Oh wait I found that I can 'export' the image, and convert it into a jpeg. Will use that strategy for future reports.

Thanks for your help @Little_Flatty.

2 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Hmm good idea. I will 'capture' the airdropped picture onto my mac. I think that converts it into a png. Maybe that works for fishraider.  

Oh wait I found that I can 'export' the image, and convert it into a jpeg. Will use that strategy for future reports.

Thanks for your help @Little_Flatty.

Thanks for letting us know @Bluebenbomb. PNG format works for Fishraider. Great that the 'export' option works for you as well. I'll look into that.

This might warrant a little article, which I will look into doing after a little research. It mostly affects mac/IOS users (which I also use extensively), so I'll come from that perspective.