Port Hacking Wednesday - Whiting and a nice flathead released

jenno64

Hit the Hacking again yesterday after collecting a few nippers the afternoon before. Headed up river for the last of the run in and started getting a couple of whiting on the flats.

Pulled the boat up and threw the poddy trap out and fished from the shore for half an hour.  Hooked a Long Tom almost a metre long and doing some amazing acrobatics before being landed and released.

Plenty of small bream and reddies around and as the tide turned I drifted the flats for some nice whiting up to the high 30s but the rod with the poddies didn't get a look in.1710348446_IMG_0131(2).thumb.JPG.dcd6a22af42266513f128d7d3eca66a7.JPG

Ran into my friend the turtle a couple of times and gave up the flats after the bite stopped.

Headed back down the river to stop off and scale the whiting and through all the lines out off the drop off. As I was scaling my first whiting I heard the drag wake up on one of my poddy outfits. Sure enough I had a nice flatty on and she came up onto the beach without too much fuss. She was well conditioned with beautiful markings and I noticed she had another trace with a swivel coming out of her mouth and my wide gap hook was well down to so I snipped the traces off and got her back into the water pretty quickly. She swam off like a pro and was my PB in the Hacking so I can now work on upgrading:)1423683060_IMG_0132(2).thumb.JPG.d38178d181a095bf56965c3f33d48811.JPG

1845837228_IMG_0133(2).thumb.JPG.1c85b90abf32f9e4f5660a9944422de1.JPG

Edited by jenno64
Added correct Youtube link agin!
  • Like 8

Nice bag of whiting there Rob, and a good flattie.

As I'm travelling through NSW and Vic towing the van until late May, I'm leaving the fish for you to catch. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Great report. What time do you have to be on water these days on the hacking on a Saturday to beat the mayhem?

I will get up at 5 and by about 7:30 it can get pretty busy, that is just for me. But by 1:00 it is absolute mayhem.

55 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

I will get up at 5 and by about 7:30 it can get pretty busy, that is just for me. But by 1:00 it is absolute mayhem.

We'll try to get there at 5 then if we end up going there.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:19 PM, Pickles said:

Brilliant effort Jenno, a magic bag of whiting and that lizard is a real Croc’ - well done

Thanks Bob

ive sorted a few meals of boneless whiting fillets in the freezer and it was good to release a big girl to top off a good day

On 5/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, Isaac Ct said:

Cracking bag of whiting again, brilliant flattie as well. Great job!!

Thanks Isaac

On 5/6/2022 at 7:54 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Nice bag @jenno64. A fantastic feed, and a trophy fish to top off the session.

If this is your Hacking PB flatty, what's your overall?

My best in the Georges is 97 on a lure and 96 on bait, just couldn’t crack a metre! Maybe one day🙏

On 5/6/2022 at 8:21 AM, Yowie said:

Nice bag of whiting there Rob, and a good flattie.

As I'm travelling through NSW and Vic towing the van until late May, I'm leaving the fish for you to catch. 🤣

I hope you weta line somewhere productive Yowie, thanks for leaving me a few👏🏻👏🏻

On 5/6/2022 at 8:29 AM, Larkin said:

She’s a beauty! Well done and nice release.

The one that got away for someone else, haha. Can picture them having it at boat side as it breaks the leader.

I was a bit confused when I pulled her up the beach as she had swallowed my wide gap hook and i noticed the other trace…it must have been a knot fail for the previous hookup🤷🏻‍♂️I usually hook the big ones in the jaw so I just played it safe and snipped both traces off, hopefully she will pull through as she swam off like a champ 🦈

22 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Great report. What time do you have to be on water these days on the hacking on a Saturday to beat the mayhem?

I think the water is a bit quieter on the weekends now but I always fish away from the channels so they don’t seem to bother me too much👌

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Thanks Bob

ive sorted a few meals of boneless whiting fillets in the freezer and it was good to release a big girl to top off a good day

Thanks Isaac

My best in the Georges is 97 on a lure and 96 on bait, just couldn’t crack a metre! Maybe one day🙏

I hope you weta line somewhere productive Yowie, thanks for leaving me a few👏🏻👏🏻

I was a bit confused when I pulled her up the beach as she had swallowed my wide gap hook and i noticed the other trace…it must have been a knot fail for the previous hookup🤷🏻‍♂️I usually hook the big ones in the jaw so I just played it safe and snipped both traces off, hopefully she will pull through as she swam off like a champ 🦈

I think the water is a bit quieter on the weekends now but I always fish away from the channels so they don’t seem to bother me too much👌

My main concern is always the boat ramps.On the water I couldn't care less.