Northern Bate Bay

Larkin

Gday raiders - Headed out yesterday to fish the northern side of Bate Bay again.

Took home 3 pinkies ranging in size from 31-35cm & a 45cm Flatty.

I’ve been exploring this northern area lately testing out a few spots with different baits and lures.

For bait I stripped up one of the squids that I had caught last week.
Also tried a snapper flasher rig baited with small squid strips - anyone have success with these?

Caught quite a few Māori wrasse, a male crimson banded wrasse (which had the most vibrant red markings), some red rock cod, a trevally on a jerk shad and a few other reef fish. Lost a couple of larger fish on the way up too.

Been sounding up baitfish around the area with larger marks below, so might be worth throwing out a live bait or butterflied bait next time.

33B1E10A-BBD7-48D1-9F4C-3BF92101D1BD.jpeg.493cd0bec48b53b61d3399b44cac8cc2.jpeg
C0C6538D-4A72-4F1C-8CDE-5769299E52AF.jpeg.6025f3e9d57d8c87bf39482a477eba0d.jpegC17C0D76-E840-4995-90BB-0523859572D5.jpeg.b1f06f8d564bf36d8b97539eba86769a.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 11

A feed of reddies and a flattie, no complaints there.

Never used a flasher unit.

Near Kurnell is where we found the mixed reef species. If we did not have many flatties, the reef species would have made a feed. Not great eating fish, however, when all else fails, they are fairly edible with special sauce and recipes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great report mate, well done. 

Nice looking feed and fish.

Thanks Isaac, some of my favourite table fish.

16 hours ago, Yowie said:

A feed of reddies and a flattie, no complaints there.

Never used a flasher unit.

Near Kurnell is where we found the mixed reef species. If we did not have many flatties, the reef species would have made a feed. Not great eating fish, however, when all else fails, they are fairly edible with special sauce and recipes.

will definitely make good use of them!

Quite a few Māori wrasse about up there - slippery little buggers! Never tried eating them though.

Noticed a few jackets around too, I had lines chewed up on more than one occasion.

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice feed @Larkin. That wrasse is a spectacular fish.

Thanks Mike, some beautiful coloured fish out there! 

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Love the colour of that Wrasse. Nice little feed of fish there Larkin. Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil, had to work for it as there were quite a few wrasses about. That crimson banded wrasse was spectacular when it came up.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great report & photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel, had a take a happy snap of that wrasse! 

On 7/4/2022 at 10:04 PM, Scooter0069 said:

Nice bag and great report Larkin 

Thanks scooter - managed to get a feed.

14 hours ago, jenno64 said:

You are getting some regular reds Larkin, persistence is paying off and nice bi-catch!

Been targeting them lately - trying out different baits, rigs & lures. Bit of trial and error to get onto some larger fish.

• 3 weeks later...

The snapper flasher rigs baited with either squid strips/tentacles pieces or fresh bonito if I have been able to troll one up work really well on flathead off Marley Beach for me. I won't fish for flathead without one now having proved to myself that they are very effective and often get bites when standard paternoster rigged baits don't. Just my experience.

• Like 1

A great effort @Larkin, a nice feed there mate. The purple banded wrasse are a lovely, white fleshed, eating fish. (I let them go now as too pretty to eat and huge scales). Glad you’ve been getting out - I can’t find a window where seas and wind suitable😞

On 7/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, adkel53 said:

The snapper flasher rigs baited with either squid strips/tentacles or pieces of fresh bonito if I have been able to troll one up work really well on flathead off Marley Beach for me. I won't fish for flathead without one now having proved to myself that they are very effective and often get bites when standard paternoster rigged baits don't. Just my experience.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, adkel53 said:

The snapper flasher rigs baited with either squid strips/tentacles pieces or fresh bonito if I have been able to troll one up work really well on flathead off Marley Beach for me. I won't fish for flathead without one now having proved to myself that they are very effective and often get bites when standard paternoster rigged baits don't. Just my experience.

I’m going to give it another go - been baiting the flashers with squid strips. 

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

A great effort @Larkin, a nice feed there mate. The purple banded wrasse are a lovely, white fleshed, eating fish. (I let them go now as too pretty to eat and huge scales). Glad you’ve been getting out - I can’t find a window where seas and wind suitable😞

thanks bob, was catching quite a few wrassses on that day.

regarding the weather, it’s been the same for me - haven’t been out for two weeks, hopefully this week the wind stays away.