Port Hacking Squid

jenno64

Belated report but last Sunday arvo I ventured out for a squid bash in the Hacking. Thanks Larkin for a few pointers! I tried a couple of inside spots before heading out a bit into Bate Bay and finding a couple over weeds. I had one sleeper down on a paternoster rig that got no interest and fished with 2 rods, swapping back and forth. First 2 came aboard and I threw them into my wire floating keeper net....big mistake.....the clever bastards opened the bottom hatch and scarpered! I only realised when one was sitting next to the boat and I dropped a jig in front of it but once bitten it slowly disappeared! Back to the drawing board I moved around and found a couple more then finished with a nice hood in the high 20s as well as a nice little bait sized model. They were quite aggressive as my new orange jig was almost torn to shreds by the end of the session. Looking forward to getting out there more as I usually fish Botany Bay for squid in winter. Anyway a good feed is waiting in the freezer and with the current rains it doesn't look good for quite a while:(

squid June 26.jpg

June 26 3.jpg

June 26 2.jpg

• Like 13

Woah, that's crazy that the squid managed to hatch an escape plan!

Where do you normally go in botany bay for your winter squid?

I was also out last Sunday, I went to yarra bay for the first time ever given how low the wind and swell was. I managed to get an arrow right at the end of the day at front of yarra point.

I tried bumbora point but didnt have much luck there and there were actually a few people trying too. Did land a couple of trevs and an aggressive tailor there though.

Wasn't brave enough to try bare island in my new kayak.

Edited by Squidless

Port Hacking is ace for squid, I did try to go out on Wednesday morning only for my boat to fail and finding the carby full of water... Trying to head out end of the week next week. Where there is kelp and seaweed beds there is squid, all around the front of the hacking is a goer.

Managed a feed of squid, so should be happy with that.

Over the years, I have had a couple of squid in the landing net, only for them to somehow slip out. Never see them again after escaping. 😂

On 7/2/2022 at 12:04 PM, Squidless said:

Woah, that's crazy that the squid managed to hatch an escape plan!

Where do you normally go in botany bay for your winter squid?

I was also out last Sunday, I went to yarra bay for the first time ever given how low the wind and swell was. I managed to get an arrow right at the end of the day at front of yarra point.

I tried bumbora point but didnt have much luck there and there were actually a few people trying too. Did land a couple of trevs and an aggressive tailor there though.

Wasn't brave enough to try bare island in my new kayak.

Botany Bay, normally Bare Island area or opposite at Kurnell 

On 7/2/2022 at 1:01 PM, Larkin said:

Nice catch Rob! A few larger ones around at the moment.

shame about the escapees, but that’s fishing.

Thanks Larkin

i usually dispatch them and put them on ice….I went back to that method after the escape🤪

On 7/2/2022 at 1:20 PM, Yowie said:

Managed a feed of squid, so should be happy with that.

Over the years, I have had a couple of squid in the landing net, only for them to somehow slip out. Never see them again after escaping. 😂

They are smarter than your average fish!

Glad I got a feed before the chocolate fountain started up again😫

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Glad I got a feed before the chocolate fountain started up again😫

Only 300mm at my place. Much more at Lucas Heights, more again at Darkes Forest and Kangaroo Valley.

I somehow stuffed a pec muscle/cartilage/rib. Pain for several days, won't go away just yet, tablets don't help, now I know what constant pain feels like 🤬

Probably won't be fishing for a little while. :1taz:

• Sad 2

58 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Only 300mm at my place. Much more at Lucas Heights, more again at Darkes Forest and Kangaroo Valley.

I somehow stuffed a pec muscle/cartilage/rib. Pain for several days, won't go away just yet, tablets don't help, now I know what constant pain feels like 🤬

Dam it. I hope you get better. Might give it a go and see if I can pull a fish out of the hacking that otherwise might have fallen victim to you.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Ouch, hope you recover quickly, at least you're not missing out on anything atm.

I just went out to Cronulla to watch the floundering tanker being towed south just off the main beach (you'll have to zoom in)....a couple of tugs ready to help out if things get worse....we might have a new wreck to fish on if things get any nastier!

Tanker off shore (2).jpg

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Ouch, hope you recover quickly, at least you're not missing out on anything atm.

I just went out to Cronulla to watch the floundering tanker being towed south just off the main beach (you'll have to zoom in)....a couple of tugs ready to help out if things get worse....we might have a new wreck to fish on if things get any nastier!

Tanker off shore (2).jpg

It would make a good fishing spot, however, the leaking oil would not be good at all.

The swell is dropping off a bit now, and the sand looks like it is very scarce on the beaches. When I had a swim at Wanda last week, it was a climb up the sand hill. Now you would probably need a rope to haul yourself up.