beach fishing spot in sydney

slothparade

Ideally fish the gutters with a double paternoster rig. One long shank hook for beach worms or prawns the other a set of 3 or 4 gang hooks for pilchard baits or you can use a 5/0 single hook if you want to use squid or strip baits. A sinker heavy enough to hold bottom, 12 ft rod with 20lb line on a 4000 type reel (or Alvey, if you know how to use one). This sort of set up will catch several different species and would be a good starting point for beach fishing.

I don't do much beach fishing these days but what I described worked well for me. Hopefully, others will chip in with their recommendations.

Good luck, bn

• Like 4

5 hours ago, slothparade said:

Haven't been beach fishing in a while and never have beach fished in sydney, so was wondering wheres some good spots for salmon, tailor, bream ect. And how do you go about targeting these? 

I am thinking about palm beach 

thanks 

Most beaches around Sydney will hold those species, I find dawn and dusk better. All my bigger tailor and salmon have come in the winter months. I don't beach fish all that much around Sydney but can say that any beach with a good gutter should hold something. I prefer gutters near to headlands or rocky outcrops for bream and the like, but even a huge stretch of beach will hold fish in the middle of it. Try out a few beaches if they have good gutters and aren't packed. (Nothing more annoying or repetitive than telling people to walk the other side of your fishing line constantly, so avoid crowded beaches). I once had a British tourist tell me to leave because I was fishing on a swimming beach and could hurt people in the water and he ignored the fact the beach was near empty with no swimmers and that I was fishing a very obvious gutter aka rip. He finally got the message that I wasn't planning on leaving and went and spoke to the life guard who proceeded to tell him the beach was closed, at that point he trudged off.😄😄

Some people surprise you they are that dumb and ignorant 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Drunkenfisho said:

Most beaches around Sydney will hold those species, I find dawn and dusk better. All my bigger tailor and salmon have come in the winter months. I don't beach fish all that much around Sydney but can say that any beach with a good gutter should hold something. I prefer gutters near to headlands or rocky outcrops for bream and the like, but even a huge stretch of beach will hold fish in the middle of it. Try out a few beaches if they have good gutters and aren't packed. (Nothing more annoying or repetitive than telling people to walk the other side of your fishing line constantly, so avoid crowded beaches). I once had a British tourist tell me to leave because I was fishing on a swimming beach and could hurt people in the water and he ignored the fact the beach was near empty with no swimmers and that I was fishing a very obvious gutter aka rip. He finally got the message that I wasn't planning on leaving and went and spoke to the life guard who proceeded to tell him the beach was closed, at that point he trudged off.😄😄

Some people surprise you they are that dumb and ignorant 

No surprise to me Drunkenfisho. I was once that British visitor, though I wouldn't have been so rude. Most likely I would have annoyed the crap out of you asking questions about fishing Australian beaches. Can't really be too critical of his ignorance, new experience (for him) seeing a proper beach. LOL

bn

• Like 1

Back in the day when I was fit enough to beach fish I would tend to stay away from Sydney beaches, my favorite beach was north entrance where parking was close and the fish were a pretty regular thing.

Just a tip with beach fishing, sometimes the fish are in close and you don't have to cast as far out as you  can, try casting half your distance and you may be surprised.

Frank

• Like 3

Nth Narrabeen , Narrabeen and Mona vale are also worth a try .

This is today at Mona vale - no guarantee there is a fish in there though and if there are they can be gone tomorrow . Palmie is looking a little murky . 
491875B1-13A7-4F88-8784-CD56F31A67C3.thumb.jpeg.3f6dfeee7f350fbbf11238c1af23787a.jpeg9C228DCB-B944-45BD-A227-4A6F053D830F.thumb.jpeg.9668d0fa811e1693a42e90446440d690.jpeg

• Like 3

Almost any beach is worth fishing, species changes with the seasons, dictating how you fish and what you fish for, summer is Whiting time, most gutters (even with swimmers close by) will see Whiting around, long shank hooks and Beach Worms for bait, about 6-9lb line is plenty. Winter is Tailor and Salmon time, bigger baits and ganged hooks are the go, right on dawn or dusk, I prefer a low tide, but sometimes tides don't fit in with your schedule.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, frankS said:

Back in the day when I was fit enough to beach fish I would tend to stay away from Sydney beaches, my favorite beach was north entrance where parking was close and the fish were a pretty regular thing.

Just a tip with beach fishing, sometimes the fish are in close and you don't have to cast as far out as you  can, try casting half your distance and you may be surprised.

Frank

I lived at North Enny for many years and spent a lot of time surfing and fishing the beach from the channel to Pelican! Like most places, it doesn't fish as well as the old days but the stretch between Curtis Parade and Magenta usually has a few good gutters that are worth a cast!

• Like 1