Help Needed

stotsis

Raiders,

Really need your help. Been out in the harbour to try and catch some Kingys for two days now and came back with nothing.

My sons has lost faith in me to produce the goods. Not that I know what I am doing but I thought I would atleast get a bite.

Any help would be much appreciated and save a sons faith in his father. Where do I get my bait from? Buy or catch? Which areas should I target. Happy to go outside but like I said, I have had absolutely no luck

Help!! Please!!

Is it realistic to expect to catch kingfish in the harbour in mid winter?

in years gone by, when I had a small boat and access to the harbour, I left it till about November.

not saying you couldn’t catch them, but they weren’t common enough to justify the time. 

outside is a different matter.

• Like 1

What @volitan said. You can catch them but it can be really hard work. I did find the size of the fish to be larger on average in the winters.

If I had to. Live baits and fresh squid on a downrigger at places like long reef. Cover ground. Use the fishfinder. Look for structure and bait holding on the structure. Similar applies to the harbour. They are moving around and will often do circuits. You have to find one of those circuits and then put the right bait in front of them. Give each spot say 30 minutes. Then shift to another likely spot. If you hook up in a location then give that location another 20 to 40 minutes for them to come back.

Also worth reaching out to @Pickles for some advice as he does it slightly differently from what I understand. He seems to use a berley trail method a lot of the time but I haven't been fortunate enough to get out with him on his boat yet to see him in action. Did get out with him on a charter which was an awesome day.

Just a warning too - we went out from Pittwater this week. Struggled to find livies (actually couldn't) but also came across big schools of leather jackets which ate through the braid.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, DerekD said:

What @volitan said. You can catch them but it can be really hard work. I did find the size of the fish to be larger on average in the winters.

If I had to. Live baits and squid on a downrigger at places like long reef. Cover ground. Use the fishfinder. Looks for structure and bait holding on the structure.

Just a warning too - we went out from Pittwater this week. Struggled to find livies (actually couldn't) but also came across big schools of leather jackets which ate through the braid.

Simple solution to overcome  leatherjackets plaguing your fishing trip-

Bag out on jackets.

Pull up anchor.

Pack up.

Go home.

Cook up the leatherjackets.

Think about the kingies you could have caught that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Drunkenfisho said:

Simple solution to overcome  leatherjackets plaguing your fishing trip-

Bag out on jackets.

Pull up anchor.

Pack up.

Go home.

Cook up the leatherjackets.

Think about the kingies you could have caught that day.

How did you know? Are you psychic? Am I being monitored?

:mfr_lol:

• Haha 2

As a person who started properly fishing early last year and had a small quintrex to take out, it took me many many months to get my first kingfish as i was primarily fishing last winter. My strategy was to catch live or fresh squid the night before and either keep them alive in a net in the water overnight or freeze them. Next morning we would take out the tinny in middle harbour and hit up Primarily seaforth bluff, which was a popular spot to catch kingies. After countless sessions of failure, i finally managed to pull my first and still largest kingfish on a live cuttlefish.

It will most likely take you longer than you expect to catch a kingfish with little to no help or experience but you will do it eventually, just gotta put in the hours.

What size boat do you have? That will really define what kind of fishing you will be doing, if it’s a small one that you wouldn’t want to take out of the heads you will have to focus on the Wrecks that hold kingfish during the winter and use primarily livebaits, if it’s a large boat that can handle offshore swell then you will probably have better luck doing what pickles does and hitting spots such as long reef with livies. If you can’t manage a king this winter, I’m sure you’ll get one in the summer.

Edited by Max_fish
  • Like 1

If you are interested in becoming a pro at getting no bites and catching nothing give me a buzz and I’ll share all my knowledge.

All the best with the fishing mate and if the son gives you any more cheek leave him at home so he misses out on all the usual fishing action.That will teach him not to get smart.😂All the best mate.If you can take anything from my reply try to enjoy your time out on the water regardless with your boy mate as they grow up so quickly and you’ll miss not being able to fish together spending quality time with him.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, stotsis said:

Raiders,

Really need your help. Been out in the harbour to try and catch some Kingys for two days now and came back with nothing.

My sons has lost faith in me to produce the goods. Not that I know what I am doing but I thought I would atleast get a bite.

Any help would be much appreciated and save a sons faith in his father. Where do I get my bait from? Buy or catch? Which areas should I target. Happy to go outside but like I said, I have had absolutely no luck

Help!! Please!!

Hey Sam - sent you a pm - happy to help.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max_fish said:

As a person who started properly fishing early last year and had a small quintrex to take out, it took me many many months to get my first kingfish as i was primarily fishing last winter. My strategy was to catch live or fresh squid the night before and either keep them alive in a net in the water overnight or freeze them. Next morning we would take out the tinny in middle harbour and hit up Primarily seaforth bluff, which was a popular spot to catch kingies. After countless sessions of failure, i finally managed to pull my first and still largest kingfish on a live cuttlefish.

It will most likely take you longer than you expect to catch a kingfish with little to no help or experience but you will do it eventually, just gotta put in the hours.

What size boat do you have? That will really define what kind of fishing you will be doing, if it’s a small one that you wouldn’t want to take out of the heads you will have to focus on the Wrecks that hold kingfish during the winter and use primarily livebaits, if it’s a large boat that can handle offshore swell then you will probably have better luck doing what pickles does and hitting spots such as long reef with livies. If you can’t manage a king this winter, I’m sure you’ll get one in the summer.

Good advice @Max_fish persistence, finding structure and current and the right phase of the moon and your chances of success are greatly enhanced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1