Port Hacking - a bit quiet

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up past Lilli Pilli. The water has a good fishing colour in it from last week's rain.

Fished the deep but not too much success. Salted fillets, and fresh yakka fillets, were the best. Hooked up 5 large yakkas, and only one made it into the boat, the others just dropped off beside the boat. A few good runs but not many hookups, most likely tailor or salmon. Plenty of reddies, but none made size. One fish near the boat looked around 45 to 50 cms, but a clean bite off so probably a nice tailor. 

Quite a pleasant morning out, calm, no fish jumping that I could see, and hardly a boat moving on the water.

That was that, and the salmon and tailor will be made into fish patties tonight, and the bream for mum.

fish.jpeg.360_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 20

Your bit quiet is someone else’s good catch.I won’t mention who that someone else is.Well done as always young man.Must have been nice pretty much being out there alone.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Crabstar said:

Better then nothing mate. Tough this time of year. I myself was thinking about heading down to the hacking but I can’t seem to find any motivation this time of year…

I struggle to find motivation only between the months of January and December.The rest of the year I’m ok I think.🤔

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Your bit quiet is someone else’s good catch.I won’t mention who that someone else is.Well done as always young man.Must have been nice pretty much being out there alone.

A few is better than nothing. I will send you a mirror so you can see if you know who that someone else is. 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Better then nothing mate. Tough this time of year. I myself was thinking about heading down to the hacking but I can’t seem to find any motivation this time of year…

Yep, it does drop right off this time of year, and the cool morning air does not give many fishos the motivation to haul their arse out of a warm bed. :074:

Half the battle with being enthusiastic, at this time of year, is the percentage chance of catching something Yowie. In your case, I would rate your chances as being close to 100%. Of course, such achievements come at a price. Hard work, determination, willingness to learn, and being able to think outside the square. You reap what you sow!

bn

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Half the battle with being enthusiastic, at this time of year, is the percentage chance of catching something Yowie. In your case, I would rate your chances as being close to 100%. Of course, such achievements come at a price. Hard work, determination, willingness to learn, and being able to think outside the square. You reap what you sow!

bn

Thanks BN. At this time of year, and time in life with a few aches and pains not going away anymore  🤣 , one needs to be committed to freeze the jatz crackers, and fingers, in order to catch something. Just have to think like a fish.

The day will come when I have a permanent sleep  :074:, however, I'm not there yet so I will keep on casting until then. :fisher:

• Like 3

Nice feed Dave, the tailor was a beauty (hard to imagine they can get to over 20lb, wouldn’t it be great to hook onto one of them). I believe the Salmon have moved into Sydney Harbour (haven’t been out for a month 😞), but hoping to get out next week.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice feed Dave, the tailor was a beauty (hard to imagine they can get to over 20lb, wouldn’t it be great to hook onto one of them). I believe the Salmon have moved into Sydney Harbour (haven’t been out for a month 😞), but hoping to get out next week.

A 4.5 pound tailor (60cm) on a 10 pound handline is the biggest I have pulled out, and a few just under that size as well show how hard they can fight. As for for a much bigger one, that would be worth the effort.

Plenty of salmon moving about in the Hacking, some smaller ones under the 40cm mark included.

You need to get out soon. Not good for a fisho to be at home for too long. 🤣

Edited by Yowie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Squidless said:

Nice report. I'm planning to go out this weekend as the weather looks like it'll hold up. Your report does bode well for my potential catch rate but it'll be nice to be out regardless!

Yes, no point staying at home, you cannot catch fish there, though I have thought of living on a waterfront property, with a large pool, and filling it with fish. Only problem, cannot afford such a place. 😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Well done Mate.

Top report.

Don't worry about @Fab1 he has lost the plot. Again ???????????

Cheers.

Didn’t know I’d lost it before.I need to up my game a bit and stop being a slacker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice catch Yowie. 👍

Good little feed there - I don’t mind the old fish cakes. 
Make mine with mash potato, butter, fresh parsley, pepper, salt, egg wash and crumb. 
What you put in yours?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch Yowie. 👍

Good little feed there - I don’t mind the old fish cakes. 
Make mine with mash potato, butter, fresh parsley, pepper, salt, egg wash and crumb. 
What you put in yours?

Bread crumbs, chopped shallot, grated carrot, parsley, lemon juice, couple of eggs with the minced fish, then floured and pan fried in a butter/olive oil mixture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cavepan said:

I was out on Monday too Yowie but after lunch. Was also up around lilli pilli and then the flats around mansion bay. Super quiet for me, only one barely legal bream. 

It's that time of year when fishing goes quiet, though there will be fish to find somewhere in the Hacking. Middle of the day fishing is usually not the best.