Deja vu

Larkin

Gday raiders 

headed out today for a fish (had a mate take his ski too) - we fished bate bay and down south.
I took home exactly the same fish as last week - only this time they were larger. Also caught/released some wrasses (flagfin, Māori) and a Morwong.

1 x Pinkie 38cm

5 x Blue Spot Flathead - largest 59cm

CAE460A8-581C-4EE8-A1A8-50A5A4E1869F.jpeg.a5e1769f85d2edfea43afb3adeb4990b.jpeg

Bait used: 

squid for the snapper - using single hook paternoster 5/0 hook

Salted bonito strips for the flatheads - using twin dropper paternoster 5/0 hooks

Locations:

Northern bate bay for the snapper.

Fished down past jibbon, south of port hacking for the flathead.

Flatheads caught in 50-60m - plenty of good sized ones around at the moment south of jibbon bommie.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, noelm said:

And some ice in the esky....hallelujah! Can't beat nice fresh Flathead fillets.

Agreed, If taking for the table it’s a must!

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Another great feed - well done.

thanks pickles. 

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Great stuff Larkin, nice work on icing the catch too....best fillets:)

I always toss in a couple of bags of ice on every trip out - makes a difference.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Good work again. Was thinking of heading out, but had no time to make it until this arvo, then a bit of breeze up so gave it a miss. Always another day.

Weather was great in the morning, just after midday the wind arrived and it turned into a washing machine out there.

5 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done on the feed! I was confused as I thought I was reading your last report, but the fish looked larger! Finally summer is coming!

I even caught a Morwong, flagfin & Māori wrasse just like last time. Bit of Deja Vu.

4 hours ago, Restyle said:

nice basket of fish mate good job

thanks restyle - you had a chance to get out lately? 

4 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice feed Larkin, I will have to get out soon. Was thinking of going for a squid around my local jetties. Have you got any tips for the squid in the hacking especially around Yowie Bay at this time of year?

Hi Isaac, I usually Squid around the deeper areas closer to the entrance of the hacking and outside using larger jigs. I squid morning to midday.
For jetties/wharfs around the hacking I’d be using smaller jigs around the 1.8 size or 2.5 at first light /dusk/night. My mates that do that type of squidding will usually light charge glow jigs and fish night time.

@Restyle is well versed on this type of squidding - he may be able to share some tips.

33 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great haul mate.

Nice flatties.

Well done.

Thanks for the tip on the gear.

Cheers.

thanks Rebel, been concentrating on table fish lately. Beats the seafood shop!

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:00 PM, Larkin said:

I even caught a Morwong, flagfin & Māori wrasse just like last time. Bit of Deja Vu.

thanks restyle - you had a chance to get out lately? 

Hi Isaac, I usually Squid around the deeper areas closer to the entrance of the hacking and outside using larger jigs. I squid morning to midday.
For jetties/wharfs around the hacking I’d be using smaller jigs around the 1.8 size or 2.5 at first light /dusk/night. My mates that do that type of squidding will usually light charge glow jigs and fish night time.

@Restyle is well versed on this type of squidding - he may be able to share some tips.

thanks Rebel, been concentrating on table fish lately. Beats the seafood shop!

this time of the year i find the jettys abit quite on squid as they tend to move closer to the mouths during the cooler months. ive tried a couple times in the last couple weeks for not too much. Once the water warms up more (well, its already surprisingly warm for this time of year) you'll see some good bait sized ones start to move back over the next month or two.
as for technique I generally use 1.5 jigs with a snap swivel to get the jig sinking a tad faster. got a portable 12v light I made last year which i only really use to watch the braid, when the braid stops moving your jigs ether in a squids mouth or hit the bottom 

As for getting out, I have a couple times to start catching bait but the squid are still a little bit quiet, there are a few garfish around wallys and cronulla ferry wharf tho. I had plan to lurk around the Georges for some Jew but work has other ideas. this time of year is usually my bait gathering to get ready for summer but with warm waters and decent weather finally forecast it may be time to get out abit earlier and get onto some jew or reds 

Edited by Restyle
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Restyle said:

this time of the year i find the jettys abit quite on squid as they tend to move closer to the mouths during the cooler months. ive tried a couple times in the last couple weeks for not too much. Once the water warms up more (well, its already surprisingly warm for this time of year) you'll see some good bait sized ones start to move back over the next month or two.
as for technique I generally use 1.5 jigs with a snap swivel to get the jig sinking a tad faster. got a portable 12v light I made last year which i only really use to watch the braid, when the braid stops moving your jigs ether in a squids mouth or hit the bottom 

As for getting out, I have a couple times to start catching bait but the squid are still a little bit quiet, there are a few garfish around wallys and cronulla ferry wharf tho. I had plan to lurk around the Georges for some Jew but work has other ideas. this time of year is usually my bait gathering to get ready for summer but with warm waters and decent weather finally forecast it may be time to get out abit earlier and get onto some jew or reds 

I’ve noticed it can be a bit hit or miss lately on the squid. When ever the water is super clear I tend to find there are more around - at least where I tend to go.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:18 PM, Larkin said:

I’ve noticed it can be a bit hit or miss lately on the squid. When ever the water is super clear I tend to find there are more around - at least where I tend to go.

for the more dirty water i find black jigs are deadly as strange as that sounds, it creates a silhouette which the squid prefer over the brighter colours people go with 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 8:32 PM, leonardgid said:

choice feed ! and at $80 per kilo for flathead fillets in some shops these days  i would not feel too bad  spending the fuel to get them 

They definitely make a good feed! I can see why they charge so much for them.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:03 PM, jenno64 said:

Larkin….Mr Consistency…..great bag again 👌

Thanks Rob, the flatties are always a good fall back - if you hit the right depth, they’re pretty easy to catch.

I also managed to catch this marbled flathead last week while exploring a new area - my first time catching this species.

E51C8208-FA23-43C4-BA82-9F46ED3FDB3D.thumb.jpeg.acd5fdbd1a8446b601d3adde04d81525.jpeg8CC6A490-68C6-4B47-8327-3DFD50D1C4C3.thumb.jpeg.76d2c8f63ad384b6eafd5959733d274d.jpeg

• Like 2