Swordies travelling UK

mrsswordfisherman

Swordie and I are finally in UK. 
Our 1st grandchild Matilda is about to turn 2. We did not get to come here over the 2 years of pandemic restriction. 
Big party tomorrow!

Daughter and I went to see Moulin Rouge live musical. Absolutely fantastic and tickets booked for Sydney. 
We had a break away down in beautiful Devon. Off to Glasgow next week. 

Here are a few snaps.

35FEDB3A-BB66-485A-A07F-92733A39FB67.jpeg

A890EB01-4F3C-47F5-9FD8-93778629D6FE.jpeg

Mrsswordie hanging about in a London telephone box

90EB4257-51D6-47DC-A734-1CAF090CD054.jpeg

Entry down to our holiday park in Devon

8D042E30-DC4E-40FF-83A9-B74BD0B516EF.jpeg
Gorgeous sunsets

1D1D586A-C98C-401D-8E91-0FF134C41A69.jpeg

View to the Boatshed Restaurant and pub

2700437F-FDF9-431A-9DBA-4408A608128C.jpeg

91DD52C7-8A7C-43CB-A53E-88D31928450E.jpeg

7E543CF7-8879-4278-9616-D50C1B51DC50.jpeg

A6E9A845-9EC2-4448-8B0D-99D429695A73.jpeg

These people were fishing for tiny crabs

1BBFCA44-F763-4A57-B96A-70E9FD5D97CF.jpeg

Loving being a Nanny finally

D9318A21-8000-41BD-B140-5663BD69ABC5.jpeg

Matilda dressed up ready for a pantomime held in the on-site Breakers Club. 

08107C24-26F1-4D4F-9570-35210524F7A4.jpeg

• Like 16

Great post from Granny and Granddad. Whatever you do don't mention the heat wave that they think they're having. They get very touchy when people question their ability to survive 25c days. They usually resort to "we survived the blitz, didn't we?" Just pretend you didn't hear that comment...it's a trap!

Is that Portwenn where you're staying? Keep an eye out for Doc Martin.

Hope you all have a wonderful time and that the "heatwave" continues for the rest of your stay.

bn

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great post from Granny and Granddad. Whatever you do don't mention the heat wave that they think they're having. They get very touchy when people question their ability to survive 25c days. They usually resort to "we survived the blitz, didn't we?" Just pretend you didn't hear that comment...it's a trap!

Is that Portwenn where you're staying? Keep an eye out for Doc Martin.

Hope you all have a wonderful time and that the "heatwave" continues for the rest of your stay.

bn

I have to tell you Neil the first 3 days were very warm. I went to London to see Moulin Rouge at the theatre and it was sooooo hot. The humidity was very high.

Since then it has been perfect weather. We are going to Glasgow for 3 days and it will be a little cooler. We have not seen any rain yet! 

We are staying in Stevenage as home base near our family in Welwyn Garden City. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I have to tell you Neil the first 3 days were very warm. I went to London to see Moulin Rouge at the theatre and it was sooooo hot. The humidity was very high.

Since then it has been perfect weather. We are going to Glasgow for 3 days and it will be a little cooler. We have not seen any rain yet! 

I did read that it was actually hot over there, 40+ on some days.

What time is the sun setting at the moment? If I recall correctly, the days are long at that time of the year. A picnic for dinner is a very real option!

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

What time is the sun setting at the moment? If I recall correctly, the days are long at that time of the year. A picnic for dinner is a very real option!

May through to September sees around 16+ hours of daylight in the UK. November through to February sees about 6 hrs of daylight. I can distinctly remember walking to and from school in the dark during their Winter months. Don't miss it!

bn

8 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks Donna. The architecture of those old theatres is amazing, both outside and inside. We saw Chicago there, long time back. Certainly the UK is steeped in history. Have a wonderful, memorable holiday with your family... and safe travels. What does petrol cost over there at present?

bn

My favorite part of the world ( except maybe Australia ) had 3 trips over there 6 months in total and have explored just about every nook and cranny from Lands end to john o groats and east to west . A lot more I would like to see and do over there

Have a wonderful time with the granddaughter and family and try and get a bit of fishing in while you are there..

Frank 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Granma, enjoy your time there with Stewy.

Grandkids can be fun at times (except when they are naughty, then you hand them back 🤣) Such a long way to travel to see her so make the most of it, and enjoy the warmer weather.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Yes it is very weird that it does not get dark until 9pm

On 8/22/2022 at 4:57 PM, big Neil said:

Thanks Donna. The architecture of those old theatres is amazing, both outside and inside. We saw Chicago there, long time back. Certainly the UK is steeped in history. Have a wonderful, memorable holiday with your family... and safe travels. What does petrol cost over there at present?

bn

$3.20 per litre and it seems to last much longer. There are some amazing cars on the road, European ones and luxury vehicles. 

Everyone drives soooooo fast way past 70mph and people just go past you at 100mph or 160 km 

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

Granma, enjoy your time there with Stewy.

Grandkids can be fun at times (except when they are naughty, then you hand them back 🤣) Such a long way to travel to see her so make the most of it, and enjoy the warmer weather.

We are here for the big event 2nd birthday party.

It was a few days ago in a hire hall. We had an entertainer, soft play, dinkie bikes, large blocks and a jumping castle. 30 plus kids and 50 odd adults. 
Needless to say we were exhausted. Six of us set up food tables and a decorated archway for the cake and photos. 

No time for fishing but we saw lots of caravans being towed by little cars. 

Off to Glasgow tomorrow

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

$3.20 per litre and it seems to last much longer. There are some amazing cars on the road, European ones and luxury vehicles. 

Everyone drives soooooo fast way past 70mph and people just go past you at 100mph or 160 km 

The motorways used to scare me Donna. The speed limit of 70mph (110kph) seemed to be acknowledged as a "starting point". That's bad enough, but when they hurtle past you in the right hand lane, as if you were going backwards, in dense fog or torrential rain... that's scary. They seemed surprised that there were multiple pile- ups.

I think a lot of cars in Europe are a bit smaller than here and designed to be more fuel economic. Apparently a lot of small diesel cars, according to my brother.

How are you handling all the accents (LOL). Have fun, bn