Forgive me father for I have sinned

Fab1

Looks like I have some work to do to clean this mess up.Can I use pool acid(Hydrochloric acid)? What do/would you guys do?

I have full underfloor floatation that’s a pita to take out each time to wash from the rear bench forward.

My poor boat.

cheers.

418349FE-ADCF-4BC6-9DAD-B1EB1AAA8ABA.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It’s pretty bad in spots .I have scotch brighted it a bit.Pitting isn’t deep and caused by bloody salt sitting there.Unless I lift floor up everytime I wash it it will keep happening as it’s impossible to wash out the hull with floor and floatation there.6C796A0F-F562-47E2-998C-3DDE38B11282.thumb.jpeg.e950921bbb236fa30c4969894f22a959.jpeg6C796A0F-F562-47E2-998C-3DDE38B11282.thumb.jpeg.e950921bbb236fa30c4969894f22a959.jpeg

3EB2D015-6EEC-46D8-ABEF-C993FAC0E292.jpeg

Just now, Fab1 said:

It’s pretty bad in spots .I have scotch brighted it a bit.Pitting isn’t deep and caused by bloody salt sitting there.Unless I lift floor up everytime I wash it it will keep happening as it’s impossible to wash out the hull with floor and floatation there.6C796A0F-F562-47E2-998C-3DDE38B11282.thumb.jpeg.e950921bbb236fa30c4969894f22a959.jpeg6C796A0F-F562-47E2-998C-3DDE38B11282.thumb.jpeg.e950921bbb236fa30c4969894f22a959.jpeg

3EB2D015-6EEC-46D8-ABEF-C993FAC0E292.jpeg

D84535E5-309D-48E4-8BB1-ACCB96691CA6.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Restyle said:

How’s there salt even there, you havnt been out in a solid year or two 🤣

It’s certainly salt from before.I’ve only had floor up twice (I think in 11 yrs or so). There is no way in the world you can get salt out from there with normal washing with the foam and floor there.There was salt,sand in hull.

I’m going to acid wash the boat and rubber coat the whole floor as I don’t want to end up seeing the water through the bottom of the boat.

Edited by Fab1

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

I wonder if something like fishoil might be better?

I don’t know mate..Doubt it as salt will just eat through it.Rubber the salt will just sit on top of it and do nothing.Will do research as my mind is thinking Shultz,tar,etc right now.I’ll tape up all the seams where floor meets crossmembers and do the lot with something.

I want to know how others Tinnys have fared under there.

Fab, did not know you were into rubber  :074: , but seriously, if you manage to trap any salt inside those pit holes, then rubber coat it, there is a good chance the pitting will continue and be even worse with holes through to the underside. (all depends how thick the aluminium is)

3 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Fab, did not know you were into rubber  :074: , but seriously, if you manage to trap any salt inside those pit holes, then rubber coat it, there is a good chance the pitting will continue and be even worse with holes through to the underside. (all depends how thick the aluminium is)

I work in rubber and Polly industry mate.You’ll be surprised the rubber products and the size of them we produce.😂😂As for hull I’m leaning towards acid washing it and then coating it as I don’t want an expensive colander and hope to be out on the water very soon feeding your fish.

There is no way to stop salt getting in the hull and I certainly don’t want to unload the boat,lift floor,remove foam,rinse and reverse everything every trip out.

My boat is basically still brand new looking on the outside and motor.

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

My tinny is the same, as was the one before, it's just a "feature" of how they are made.

It will rust through mate causing issues eventually.Salt as you know will basically eat through anything.

4 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I work in rubber and Polly industry mate.You’ll be surprised the rubber products and the size of them we produce.😂😂As for hull I’m leaning towards acid washing it and then coating it as I don’t want an expensive colander and hope to be out on the water very soon feeding your fish.

There is no way to stop salt getting in the hull and I certainly don’t want to unload the boat,lift floor,remove foam,rinse and reverse everything every trip out.

The boat does still look like new.

My first boat lasted 42 years, however, I could not find enough waterproof silastic to keep repairing the holes 🤣 , so it eventually was scrapped. I received about $74 for it in 2010.

20 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The boat does still look like new.

My first boat lasted 42 years, however, I could not find enough waterproof silastic to keep repairing the holes 🤣 , so it eventually was scrapped. I received about $74 for it in 2010.

You got a good innings from it mate.

47 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

You could just sand it first. If you are still keen on an acid wash then something milder like vinegar might be better. If only for you health - hydrochloric acid produces fumes that are very hazardous and you will be working in a confined space. 

I would then use an etch primer, followed by primer and a paint with good water resistance. 

13 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

You could just sand it first. If you are still keen on an acid wash then something milder like vinegar might be better. If only for you health - hydrochloric acid produces fumes that are very hazardous and you will be working in a confined space. 

I would then use an etch primer, followed by primer and a paint with good water resistance. 

Cheers mate.I have all the ppe necessary for using Hydrochloric acid as I use it all the time for different things. As for painting I thought about etch primer and paint(I’m a spray painter by trade) well x spray painter and think  that the rubber coating will stand up to the salt better than any paints but I haven’t completely ruled it out.

hydrochloric acid certainly clears the sinuses when you cop a wiff.Pool owners like me know all to well about that one.

4 minutes ago, campr said:

If you must coat it, I would just use an etch primer.  I would be wary of using a rubber as some rubber compounds can actually cause electrolysis.   Ron 

Didn’t realise that and will do my homework before deciding.

8 minutes ago, Restyle said:

I wonder why....

There's always one.Believe it or not prior to Covid I would have it out once a week.The key is night fishing so the sun doesn’t degrade it.😂

Edited by Fab1
  • Haha 2

Here's a few thoughts Fab...

Although, sea water is often called salt water and predominantly has dissolved salt (NaCl - sodium chloride - table salt) it also contains other dissolved salts/minerals - such as calcium, potassium, magnesium etc etc. When dissolved in water and allowed to sit they form both acidic and alkaline solutions which will pit the aluminium. 

Pure aluminium is actually very reactive - notice when you cut or scratch aluminium- the exposed fresh surface is very shiny, but quickly dulls - that's the aluminium reacting with oxygen to create an aluminium oxide skin. Aluminium oxide is very inert. This protective layer of aluminium oxide is what gives aluminium it's longevity. May not be the most attractive but it works.

I see how shiny your boat is on the outside -  do you buff it and apply a wax or other protective coat on to keep it shiny?  If not, you are removing a few layers of aluminium atoms off your boat each time!

26 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

If you are still keen on an acid wash then something milder like vinegar might be better.

Agree with this. Hydrochloric is very aggressive -  if it gets into the joints and around welds it could do more damage than good - and you need to consider how you are going to fully flush out the acid. Vinegar or sulfamic acid are much gentler acids.

36 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Salt as you know will basically eat through anything.

...not through fibreglass/gelcoat ... that's why they make fibreglass saltwater pools or fix leaking concrete pools with a fglass resin coat !

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Rubber the salt will just sit on top of it and do nothing.

Hmmm... rubber ducks don't last forever.  My concern with rubber is that you will never again see what is happening underneath it. Even clean water under rubber will become slightly alkaline and eat your hull.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I wonder if something like fishoil might be better?

+1 for fish oil or something like it. It's recommended for the inside of trailer box sections etc. Just make sure you get one that "dries" and dries fairly quickly. Some of them form a skin and stay quite wet which maybe be a pain if you ever have to handle your foam blocks. A few of my early cars were treated with fish oil back in the 80s all stood the test of time ...  fish oil is thin, light and liquidy, it will run into crevices and corners a lot better than any rubber compound that I am aware of. 

Cheers Z

PS - have you ever seen a rusty fish?

PPS - the US coast guard and Navy paint alloy vessels below the waterline... and leave them bare above.

https://www.boatingmag.com/protecting-aluminum-boats-from-salt-water-corrosion/

• Like 1