Snooky Sydney pike

omo

Hi fellow raiders,

Hope you're all well. Been dough-nutting the last couple of outings but managed a couple of pikes on the last one. I've heard rumours about them being smelly to handle and undesirable table fish, but upon nasal investigation and a subsequent cook, I can't really say my experience is reflective of the word on the street/wharf. They didn't smell offensive, and the eating was similar to that of whiting. Can anyone else corroborate this? :) They were caught off a wharf with prawn bait under a float. Sun was high up and run in tide. Some surface action in the form of local swimmers braving the cold windy conditions. And here's me in 3 layers static. Other catches were undersized trevally, tarwhine, and bream. 

20220815_124044.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nice stuff mate, I have heard similar things but have not caught one let alone eat one. When I eventually do (hopefully) I will have to try it. Good on you for trying something against the run of other's opinions, I guess you never know what will be good and what won't unless you try it.

Well done.

I’m pretty sure they are snook not pike which are similar but shorter. But I’ll leave a definite call on that to the fish ID experts on this forum.

This may account for the lack of smell. Years ago I knew a local fisherman who regularly caught snook in Brisbane Waters and rated them as good eating.

Fil

Hi

Well done for getting out and having a go.

Definitely not the Pike that people refer to as "stinky" although I have eaten Long-finned Pike and they are perfectly edible. 

Looks more like a Striped Seapike (#437 in Sea Fishes of Southern Australia) caught a few and have found them nice to eat.

Ash

3 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

What is the difference between Snook and Pike ?

Snook are a longer thinner fish and generally lack the yellow stripes.

Long-finned Pike are what people think of as the "stinky" pike. 

Striped Seapike are a separate  species that looks similar. 

Just to add to the confusion Snook is used as a common name for a few species including Spotted Mackeral in some parts of Nth NSW.

Hopefully that helps

Ash

• Like 1

Well done @omo, don’t let the smell put you off - Jewfish have an equally distinctive smell and taste pretty good. I’d rate yellowfin pike with whiting - delicate and soft flesh, but don’t freeze. They are also a gun bait for snapper and live for Kingies (but scales fall off and don’t stay alive too long).

Ive found you can get a few on squid bats, but they love fresh fish flesh & a school fish, so if you get one & burley up, you can get a doz or so.

loved reading your report 👍

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Well done @omo, don’t let the smell put you off - Jewfish have an equally distinctive smell and taste pretty good. I’d rate yellowfin pike with whiting - delicate and soft flesh, but don’t freeze. They are also a gun bait for snapper and live for Kingies (but scales fall off and don’t stay alive too long).

Ive found you can get a few on squid bats, but they love fresh fish flesh & a school fish, so if you get one & burley up, you can get a doz or so.

loved reading your report 👍

Awesome advice Pickles! Thanks for passing on. Here's a photo of what I think could be the same species at the fish market. Not too shabby at $18.99! And thank you everyone else for your input and knowledge. 

20220819_141206.jpg

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Nice Pike.

Dip them in Vegemite, you won't taste the difference.

Cheers.

Hmm.. hard to argue with solid logic! Thanks Rebel. Here's one for you..

20220328_083658.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, omo said:

Hi fellow raiders,

Hope you're all well. Been dough-nutting the last couple of outings but managed a couple of pikes on the last one. I've heard rumours about them being smelly to handle and undesirable table fish, but upon nasal investigation and a subsequent cook, I can't really say my experience is reflective of the word on the street/wharf. They didn't smell offensive, and the eating was similar to that of whiting. Can anyone else corroborate this? :) They were caught off a wharf with prawn bait under a float. Sun was high up and run in tide. Some surface action in the form of local swimmers braving the cold windy conditions. And here's me in 3 layers static. Other catches were undersized trevally, tarwhine, and bream. 

20220815_124044.jpg

Well done. Pike or snook there dont smell. A fine fish to eat. 1000 time better quality fish than Australian salmon.