Never ignore strange sounds.

Fab1

As the title says don’t ignore noises,clunks,squeals etc with anything mechanical guys because sooner or later something will fail.

Luckily I jumped in my mrs ute to find the ball joints shot before tradgedy occurred.

When the ball in a ball joint pops out of its housing it’s time for a nappy change if you’re still alive to change it.

My mrs is terrible with cars.

how this ball joint stayed in its housing is beyond me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Years ago, when I was a lot younger I took my Torana XU-1 to a Mechanic that i hadn't used before as there was a clunk that I just couldn't find. His answer to the problem was actually "turn up the radio, then you won't hear it". Needless to say I never went back to him again.

And yes, its a miracle how that ballpoint stayed together @Fab1

And no, I can't remember what the clunk turned out to be on my Torana

53 minutes ago, Mullatt said:

Years ago, when I was a lot younger I took my Torana XU-1 to a Mechanic that i hadn't used before as there was a clunk that I just couldn't find. His answer to the problem was actually "turn up the radio, then you won't hear it". Needless to say I never went back to him again.

Probably that 3/8 spanner you lost rattling around in the engine bay.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mullatt said:

Bet you wish you still had the XU-1? I had a HT 350 Monaro, worth heaps now

• Like 3

6 hours ago, noelm said:

Bet you wish you still had the XU-1? I had a HT 350 Monaro, worth heaps now

@noelmI sure do. My mate had a HG 350 same time as I had my 1st XU-1 and as great a car the XU-1 was, the 350 Munro was just dynamite. Over a period in my youth I had 2 XU-1's, an XY GT and an RT Charger. Omg if I had kept any or all of them I'd be a wealthy (and happy ) man. Bet you think the same hey.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Probably that 3/8 spanner you lost rattling around in the engine bay.

@Fab1more than likely mate. Another funny story...used to race a Torana on the speedway when I was youger too. Actually misplaced a spanner for weeks and weeks until 1 day after coming back into the pits, discovered the spanner in the back of the Torana. Luckily it was still there as it could have been a dangerous projectile.

Hate to spoil the party.

I raced a MGA Twin Cam. The only MGA that sat on the front row of Bathurst in a sports car race, Way back then.

Came back raced an EH Holden in Historics, a real weapon.

I bought an XT GT Falcon. Candy Apple red.

Also bought an Walkinshaw.

They were the days.

Lots of memories.

Cheers.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mullatt said:

@noelmI sure do. My mate had a HG 350 same time as I had my 1st XU-1 and as great a car the XU-1 was, the 350 Munro was just dynamite. Over a period in my youth I had 2 XU-1's, an XY GT and an RT Charger. Omg if I had kept any or all of them I'd be a wealthy (and happy ) man. Bet you think the same hey.

Yep, I had the HT 350, a HQ 2 door 350 and a HQ 4 door 350, then a 308 HJ, all would make me a very well off person now, the HT was probably the pick of them, compared to today's cars, so raw and unrefined, but what a car to own. There's an RT Charger drives around my place every weekend, the guy has owned it from new, immaculate original condition. Love to still have the old HT, wonder what happened to it?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

Never ignore strange sounds, like something kicking in the bottom of your boat.  :074:

How did that find it's way into my boat? Crikey, it's a fish.

Bottom of my boat doesn’t make a sound.😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Love it, maybe we should start an old car pictures thread? I sold my HT 350 in 1975 to buy the HJ Monaro, thought I sold it for a good price, $2,200..woohoo! The guy that bought it resprayed it white (why I don't know) pulled out the Saginaw 4 speed and fitted a two speed auto,

Another car I wish I still had, even though it was not a muscle car or a classic, was an FC Panel van, I rebuilt it, ground up in about 1972, it had a standard 186 out of a HR and a disc brake front end, but other than that, it was original, had it for years while I had the Monaros. I sprayed it "Monza green" a Ford colour at the time, didn't take one photo of it, what a dumbass.

• Haha 1

A friend of mine who is a Holden nut has the following.

1968 350 GTS Monaro.

A9X Torana.

The current shaped Monaro .

Bought the first two years ago cheap.

The A9X was owned & raced by Garry Rogers in the hey day of Holden.

• Like 1

The Walkinshaw I owned was $44,000 from the dealer.

I found a Dealer who had six of them & they were not selling.

I bought mine for $41,000.

Sold it 4 years later for $50,000. Thought I did a great deal.

What are they worth now $250,000 plus.

Time to go & check the Blood Pressure.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:34 AM, Rebel said:

The Walkinshaw I owned was $44,000 from the dealer.

I found a Dealer who had six of them & they were not selling.

I bought mine for $41,000.

Sold it 4 years later for $50,000. Thought I did a great deal.

What are they worth now $250,000 plus.

Time to go & check the Blood Pressure.

Cheers.

You are not to know what price they will realise in the future. Look at the GTHO III.

A mate's cousin had a Phase III - alarm, locked garage, locked gates - and it just disappeared in the middle of the night, never to be seen again. Insurance would not cover it's real value.

• Like 1

A good friend on mine bought an ex Allan Moffat Bathurst car, (phase 3) it was a "spare" built in case of disaster in early practice, he got it about a year later, still unregistered and not raced, he had it a couple of years, had lots of trouble registering it because on engine and body numbers not being "standard" he sold it for 4 grand and thought he made a killing! That car, if still alive and original, would be worth a mint.

• Like 2