Kingfish outing in Sydney Harbour

Pickles

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Always helping raiders Bob! Extra points for the fishraider sticker....."

Pickles was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 500 points.

@big Neiland I headed off to the harbour on Wednesday to make up for a fruitless previous night with @papafish on Hairtail. The bait was easy to get and after the live bait well (“fishy spa bath” as my granddaughter calls it) was full of slimy mackerel and Yakkas we hit some new “inside” Kingie spots as the swell and wind chop made getting off shore an impossibility. 
At 10 am, when visited by the water police (safety check) they said were were the only boat on the water. Because Neil was in Sydney for a limited time, we were trying to get as much fishing in as we could, but weather and conditions were less than ideal, hence we stayed inside.

The results  were a bit better than the previous night and we hooked 3 Kingies (and a stack of small snapper) and also caught up with @The Revwho scored a pot from MasterPotter- Neil and Bruce gave me some “cuttlefish” bone for my finches that he collected from the beach for me.

The plan is to try on again on Friday 🙏🙏

• Like 16

17 hours ago, Pickles said:

@big Neiland I headed off to the harbour on Wednesday to make up for a fruitless previous night with @papafish on Hairtail. The bait was easy to get and after the live bait well (“fishy spa bath” as my granddaughter calls it) was full of slimy mackerel and Yakkas we hit some new “inside” Kingie spots as the swell and wind chop made getting off shore an impossibility. 
At 10 am, when visited by the water police (safety check) they said were were the only boat on the water. Because Neil was in Sydney for a limited time, we were trying to get as much fishing in as we could, but weather and conditions were less than ideal, hence we stayed inside.

The results  were a bit better than the previous night and we hooked 3 Kingies (and a stack of small snapper) and also caught up with @The Revwho scored a pot from MasterPotter- Neil and Bruce gave me some “cuttlefish” bone for my finches that he collected from the beach for me.

The plan is to try on again on Friday 🙏🙏

Hi Bob

Yes the fishing in the Harbour is very slow at the moment. I went out Saturday and got one small undersized king and One  just legal flathead that way threw back. Can’t wait for warmer water to come in.

The Rev

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Rev said:

Hi Bob

Yes the fishing in the Harbour is very slow at the moment. I went out Saturday and got one small undersized king and One  just legal flathead that way threw back. Can’t wait for warmer water to come in.

The Rev

Palms together Bruce.

Hey Bob. What water temp do you reckon is most conducive to getting the Kingfish more active?

I have a few souvenir pics from our couple of outings...

Catching live bait for the Hairtail session: Pickles (Bob), and Papafish (Sam). Note the absence of the banana...

75282069_IMG_3937(1)rs.thumb.jpg.e887481b4f31ab438e40c61da3190d5f.jpg

Pickles and Papafish...on the hunt for Hairtail:

528891090_IMG_3930(1)rs.thumb.jpg.8e54b4bb195f4818c7b7de56d07a8d84.jpg

The Rev (Bruce)

1775085461_IMG_3940(1)rs.thumb.jpg.7c540be67aa23184a0483ce007790f8c.jpg

Proudly displayed on Bob's boat, Fishraider:

IMG_3949rs.jpg.f2be925b74fbc7a98f567314fc211166.jpg

On the Monday evening Pickles, Papafish, and I met up for a trip into Jerusalem Bay to hunt down the elusive Hairtail. A very interesting rig, which included glow sticks. Would have been great to actually catch one, but alas, there was nothing doing. Nevertheless it's always nice to catch up with other Fishraiders and we had a pleasant time on the water.

We caught up with some sleep and headed out on Wednesday (early). Forecast wasn't great and we stayed inside. I had an enjoyable time learning a bit more about chasing Kingfish. They appeared to be extremely finnicky and timid in the bite. Some action, hooking a few but none came over the rail. We caught up with (Fishraider)The Rev (Bruce) at Manly for a brief chat. Had a lovely time with Bob who is an absolute wealth of knowledge re all things fishy.

We had intended to go to the upper reaches of the river but cancelled that plan as the boat ramp was too difficult. Instead I was grateful that Bob helped me to locate the elusive left hand wind baitcast reel for my new rod. Cheers Bob.

I have stayed with Bob and Julie a couple of times now and love their company. Always plenty for Bob to do on the farm, but he still finds time to train his gun dog to competition level.

Many thanks Bob, Neil

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1