replace fuel pump?

essjay

Looking for some advice from the brains trusts here

I have a 2012 etec 40 which has developed a fuel leak in the top of of the plastic housing of the fuel pump . I know its there just not sure exactly where as its black and my eyes aint great.

What are my options here guys, do i pull it off and try and fix the leak or just replace the unit in full?

if its safer to replace it, what after market brand is recommended?

thanks in advance 

Replacement OEM part is 1100$ , ouch. After market is 200 range and the same as the old design. New one is this setup

<link removed>

I am going to try and fix it first, see if i can find the leak source and plug it. $1100 isn't spare change.

Edited by Little_Flatty
Please do not include links to retailers.

i had a bit of a poke around with it and even tried zip ties top and bottom as shown below but it does not stem the flow when i prime the fuel. It appears to be to be coming out of that top manifold like section at the top. 

Has anyone seen these leak from here before and if yes, what was the root cause?

Resized_20220929_135641.jpeg

$1100 is about the going rate for EFI fuel pumps (they are high pressure)… I replaced 2 in 20yrs on my old 200hp EFI Merc.  
The mechanic offered to strip mine and have a go at fixing it - which implied the Merc ones could be serviced - but l chose to replace for the reasons @Rebel mentioned. 
You may have a cracked housing or  failed manifold on the pump. Check the parts manual for your motor to see if these can be ordered separately. May be a cheaper fix. 
cheers Z

On 9/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, zmk1962 said:

$1100 is about the going rate for EFI fuel pumps (they are high pressure)… I replaced 2 in 20yrs on my old 200hp EFI Merc.  
The mechanic offered to strip mine and have a go at fixing it - which implied the Merc ones could be serviced - but l chose to replace for the reasons @Rebel mentioned. 
You may have a cracked housing or  failed manifold on the pump. Check the parts manual for your motor to see if these can be ordered separately. May be a cheaper fix. 
cheers Z

its one part number now days for the replacement. 1100 aud was the price from <name removed>. Guess i will have to eat it. thanks guys.

Edited by Little_Flatty
Removed retailers

On 9/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, dunc333 said:

essjay maybe try <removed retailer> in the states it may be cheaper.worth a try chears dunc333

Pretty sure <removed retailer> are ( were ) in Miami Florida and would probably be rubble now. But someone in the states would probably have a cheaper version.

Frank

Edited by Little_Flatty
Removed retailers

I've had to edit out a few mentions of non-sponsor businesses here. Appreciate good help is being provided to @essjay here, which is fantastic. However when we need to name names or provide links, please do so via PM.

Note site rule #8:

8. No posts or links promoting or soliciting business by, or on behalf of, non-sponsors, partners or advertisers. Links to tackle companies for the purpose of showing a picture of a particular product (e.g. rod or reel) are allowed

Any questions let me know.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dunc333 said:

pretty well plug and play mate someone with good mech skills could do it

I will take a look at the replacement parts kit and see if i am up for it, if its easy i will take a crack at it. Thanks to all who replied on this thread. 

Members I have locked this thread as it got off topic. 

We are owned by Deckee and until the site rules are reviewed and changed the current ones are what we go with. 

Please message me anytime to discuss any queries or issues. 

essjay I am glad members have helped you with your problem good luck with it.