PB Snapper and Flatties

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

Lately I’ve been fine tuning my snapper fishing, trialing new bait rigs (mainly adjusting line lengths and weights) and also practicing with different soft plastics.

Headed out to bate bay this morning to a try out a couple of new snapper spots. What Im looking for are bait balls over reef, structure & ledges.

For bait I was using my salted Slimy mackerel strips on one rod & on the SP rod I was using jerk Shad’s + streakz curly tails.

Located a bait ball and tossed out a strip bait. It never had the chance to hit the bottom - rod went off and after a good fight, brought up my PB snapper going right on 65cm and about 3kg.

I keep fishing and foul hook a mado, which I livebaited back down while I kept working the SP rod. I get a few hits on the SP but no connect, I just keep casting and then a small snapper hits the Zman curly tail - after a good little fight, up comes a 38cm snapper. No hits on the mado and with a couple of good snapper in the bag, I decided to hit up my flatty spot to finish off the day.

Lots of boats out on the drift all the way down past jibbon. Everyone was getting good flatties, as some boats had loaded up and were leaving. I stayed about an hour and loaded up my limit. Not really fishing, more like catching - doubles coming up and as soon as the bait hit the bottom again, up would come another two. Ranging in size from 40-50cm. Plenty of good sized flatties out there at the moment.

Spent the evening filleting.

here are the pics 

81487CDD-FDFB-4EAE-8E2F-1AE2AA3101A1.jpeg.82f029507e99da3ef5437012c465b94b.jpeg

45704088-9973-4FB0-9204-613E3AB1ED14.jpeg.e7303caa77c6cf01ff8b36ca9971aa74.jpeg6CB29717-9E11-4618-94E1-B046120764BF.jpeg.70671903d5d3da437b2666637af19afe.jpegFDA20503-1D54-4310-94A1-4F9C8C9E4DC0.jpeg.c320995978c43baeff0f7964034b9729.jpeg

• Like 17

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

You're having a bit of a purple patch Larkin, not only enjoying the fun of catching the fish, but also providing enough fresh fish for a few meals. Job well done. bn

Thanks Neil, been on a really good run lately. 

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

@Larkin you might need to rename yourself to 'Scratchie Sydney' if you keep this run of snapper going! The feed of flatties looks great as well. Well done!

Haha not quite, he’s definitely the snapper master!
But I have been using some of his techniques. Especially his SP methods, and reading his reports have given me a lot of ideas as to what I should be looking for on the sounder.

Plenty of deep water flatties out there at the moment - and of good size.

16 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

That is what i ca; a good bays fishing!  Well done.

thanks Bessel. Was happy with a PB snapper.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Man you have a top feed there 

Thanks masterfisho, been targeting table fish lately.

9 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Larkin, you said those slimies were gonna be used well and the were. 
👍

They are imo along with salted bonito strips, the best cut baits hands down. Not many fish that can resist a salted slimy or bonito strip.

8 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Super haul.

Well done.

thanks rebel, been on a good run

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

You’re on fire Larkin!

the reds are getting bigger and the flatties keep coming!

its surprising me too, every week Ive been upping the size by ~5cm. 56, 60, now 65

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Another good red, and a bag of flatties to finish it off. Very nice.

Thanks yowie!  been on a streak.

• Like 1