Port Hacking/Bate Bay

Yowie

No photo, a stuff up somewhere in the system.

Headed out early this morning to the deep up past Lilli Pilli. Was not expecting too much after the long weekend boat traffic, so not disappointed when I could only pull out a just legal reddie and a tailor about 37cm. Even the little reddies were scarce.

Needed a few more fish, so I headed out of the mouth into Bate Bay. A bit of drifting for only 1 blue spot and a couple of spikies. I'm guessing the water was a hundred feet deep or so. Kept drifting for nothing, so headed out deeper, around the 150 foot mark (only guessing, no depth sounder) Quiet again, so I thought one more minute then heading back in. Finally found a patch of blue spots, and pulled up another 7. The biggest at 48cm.

That was enough for me, so headed back. A slow trip back against the wind slop from the north, but the drift was about the right speed for fishing. 

• Like 10

A heap of boats inside the hacking on the public holiday - it was like rush hour yesterday when I was heading back in!  Doesn’t surprise me the fish went off the bite today. 

Top feed of flatties! can’t beat that, Nicely done mate!

6 minutes ago, Larkin said:

A heap of boats inside the hacking on the public holiday - it was like rush hour yesterday when I was heading back in!  Doesn’t surprise me the fish went off the bite today. 

I’d jump off the harbour bridge before anyone will ever see me out feeding the fish on a public holiday.I like to get out there to chill not for pain and suffering.😂😂

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

No photo, a stuff up somewhere in the system.

Headed out early this morning to the deep up past Lilli Pilli. Was not expecting too much after the long weekend boat traffic, so not disappointed when I could only pull out a just legal reddie and a tailor about 37cm. Even the little reddies were scarce.

Needed a few more fish, so I headed out of the mouth into Bate Bay. A bit of drifting for only 1 blue spot and a couple of spikies. I'm guessing the water was a hundred feet deep or so. Kept drifting for nothing, so headed out deeper, around the 150 foot mark (only guessing, no depth sounder) Quiet again, so I thought one more minute then heading back in. Finally found a patch of blue spots, and pulled up another 7. The biggest at 48cm.

That was enough for me, so headed back. A slow trip back against the wind slop from the north, but the drift was about the right speed for fishing. 

My heart bleeds for you mate.😂😂😂 Great results as always mate.

52 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Yowie, well done. I haven't had a fish in the hacking for a while so looking forward to getting out there.

Thank you. Will still be a bit quiet for a little while, however, can only get better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larkin said:

The flatties are sitting out a bit deeper than the last few years. Most were females, the larger ones, with the small ones male.

Just had a feed of flattie fillets, very nice. Reddie and tailor fillets in a couple of nights, different recipe.

2 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Looks like persisting and going out to Bate Bay was worth it, well done. Good job on the bag of flatties!

Thank you.

There have been a few out there as of late.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

The flatties are sitting out a bit deeper than the last few years. Most were females, the larger ones, with the small ones male.

Just had a feed of flattie fillets, very nice. Reddie and tailor fillets in a couple of nights, different recipe.

Not sure where you hit the patch, but there are quite thick numbers a bit further south - most of the boats (around 10) on Monday were grouped up roughly 1-2klm south of the bommie at the 40-50m mark.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

I’d jump off the harbour bridge before anyone will ever see me out feeding the fish on a public holiday.I like to get out there to chill not for pain and suffering.😂😂

Haha, I don’t blame you, so many people out and about. I think the larger swells kept most of them inside the river.
surprisingly not a single boat up the northern end.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Not sure where you hit the patch, but there are quite thick numbers a bit further south - most of the boats (around 10) on Monday were grouped up roughly 1-2klm south of the bommie at the 40-50m mark.

Out from the bombie, not far south at all.