Bate Bay Bronzie

campr

Weather looked good on Monday but decided not to compete with ramp crowds and took my wife for a drive down the Gong.  Seas were glassed out and I regretted my decision.   Tuesday morn looked ok and made a snap decision to go.   Quickly chucked some gear in the boat but didn't get to the ramp untill 9am and surprised to find car park full so had a long walk to boat.  

Conditions were not as good as Monday with a brisk NE blowing which gradually swung to NW with seas a bit bumpy.  I then realised that in my haste I had left the bait home.  After giving myself a beating I went to the artificial reef and got about 8 big yakkas and a couple of small slimies on a bait jig and went looking for a flatty.  Wind drift was too quick out wide where reports say they are and only small splkies closer where drift was ok.  Managed 2 at 40 and 53cm when I hooked up big time.  50 metres of mono followed by 50 metres of braid quickly left my reel before I stopped him.  I was hoping for a kingy but after a good fight I had a bronze whaler next to the boat.  I grabbed him by the tail and brought him in the boat. They are strong little buggers but I unhooked and released him at just over a metre long.  He was the prettiest bronzie I have ever seen with his back more like polished gold than bronze.  I had to go then as I had a doc appointment,  he proveded a bit of fun anyway.  

I used a rod I normally use for trolling with a mono top shot for some give and I was amazed with the lack of feel compared to braid outfit I normally use for bottom fishing.  Not the best result but it was good to get out again.  Ron 

• Like 15

Strong buggers aren’t they!

I had one along side my JetSki earlier this year, it gave a bit of a thrash as I was about to cut it off and ended up with the line digging into my hand.

Still, well done on a couple of decent flatties for the effort 👍

A couple of flatties is better than none.

Could have eaten the bronzie if you had nothing else.

When I have pulled small sharks on board, I have grabbed them by the dorsal fin, less likely to have the mouth swing around and bite. Yes, they are strong, and the teeth are sharp.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Yowie, are they good eating, like Gummy Shark?

Never eaten one, however, the small ones are sold in fish and chip shops in the N.T., and appear to be popular.

• Thanks 1

I have a mate who shared a flat at Chronulla with a bunch of fellow uni students.  He reconds they would have all starved if he didn't catch a couple of little bronzies every week off the beach at night.  He said they had a bit of an iodine taste that could be solved by cutting off their tail when caught to bleed them out.  I suspected their budget was spent more on beer than food.  Ron  

• Haha 2

I suppose it was school holidays and a nice day so the lucky ones on holidays would have thought Tuesday would have been better option than the Monday of a Long Weekend, but you got out and got a couple of fish which is good. 

Those Sharks can turn on them selves and able to bite you and bloody strong buggars to.

Also the Shark may be a Dusky Whaler than a Bronzy and happy to be corrected, but the really go hard for their size.